Planning...SO frustrating!

alac1980

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I'm doing some loose tentative plans/research for a trip next fall 2016. It will be our third trip.

My questions are in regards to the free meal plan.

1. How far in advance is the deal generally announced? Do you recommend booking your package and then adding on your free dining plan once the offer is announced? Or waiting until the offer is announced and then booking your entire package at once?

2. I'm doing a bit of research into a price range dollar figure I can expect to pay at moderate resorts during free dining. I know that price ranges vary from one time to another, so next fall may be different, but I'm just looking for estimates. I hoped to go onto the Disney main website, select free dining offer, and begin exploring options. I'm directed to a page explaining the offer, with a button on the right margin saying, check availability. Over the last couple of days, I have researched nearly every date the offer is available at every moderate resort. I'm coming up empty handed. Every date/resort automatically redirects me to a page where I can search the fall room discount deal. Gives me 0 information about the meal plan availability. I know that fall is fast approaching, but given that the free meal plan is offered at many, many resorts until the third week of December, I find it hard to believe there is absolutely NOTHING available. Not to mention my webpage is then bypassing free dining package entirely, and going straight to discounted rooms only. We went in the fall of 2013, booked our package the last week of August for December. Unfortunately, our week was a blackout week and weren't eligible for free meal plan, but at that time I researched other weeks for comparison and had no trouble with searching the website at all. Plenty of free meal plan availability. Does anyone have any insight as to what may be happening? Does it mean that every single date/resort is already full, hence redirecting me to another page? That's strange though, considering it was not a problem in August of 2013. I know things differ from year to year, but still...seems weird to come up 100% empty handed.

Unfortunately I live in another country where calling the Disney phone line runs me quite a bit of money. As a result, I can't call very often with enquiries.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

The free dining offer for fall 2015 came out in April, and had to be booked by early July. Once the offer period is over, you can't see it. The free dining for fall 2016 should come out sometime in April 2016. What I have done to guesstimate is to do a package, but don't add the dining. If I just do the rack room rate plus the tickets that I want, that should be the cost, as the dining would be free.

Yes the free dining offer booking dates are now closed so you can't see the offer details.
Good Luck

Hi everyone,

When I load the Disney world website and click on add free dining, it says you have until August 31st to book, in order to get free dining.

You mentioned you're in another country...are you looking at the UK or other international site? The US offer is gone, but the international one may still be in play.

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some loose tentative plans/research for a trip next fall 2016. It will be our third trip.

My questions are in regards to the free meal plan.

1. How far in advance is the deal generally announced? Do you recommend booking your package and then adding on your free dining plan once the offer is announced? Or waiting until the offer is announced and then booking your entire package at once?

2. I'm doing a bit of research into a price range dollar figure I can expect to pay at moderate resorts during free dining. I know that price ranges vary from one time to another, so next fall may be different, but I'm just looking for estimates. I hoped to go onto the Disney main website, select free dining offer, and begin exploring options. I'm directed to a page explaining the offer, with a button on the right margin saying, check availability. Over the last couple of days, I have researched nearly every date the offer is available at every moderate resort. I'm coming up empty handed. Every date/resort automatically redirects me to a page where I can search the fall room discount deal. Gives me 0 information about the meal plan availability. I know that fall is fast approaching, but given that the free meal plan is offered at many, many resorts until the third week of December, I find it hard to believe there is absolutely NOTHING available. Not to mention my webpage is then bypassing free dining package entirely, and going straight to discounted rooms only. We went in the fall of 2013, booked our package the last week of August for December. Unfortunately, our week was a blackout week and weren't eligible for free meal plan, but at that time I researched other weeks for comparison and had no trouble with searching the website at all. Plenty of free meal plan availability. Does anyone have any insight as to what may be happening? Does it mean that every single date/resort is already full, hence redirecting me to another page? That's strange though, considering it was not a problem in August of 2013. I know things differ from year to year, but still...seems weird to come up 100% empty handed.

Unfortunately I live in another country where calling the Disney phone line runs me quite a bit of money. As a result, I can't call very often with enquiries.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Free Dining is a fairly popular discount. All of Disney's discounts have limited availability, so even if they say you can book until a certain date, it doesn't mean the discount will still be available. Yes, it's a bit odd that nothing is coming up, but I imagine Free Dining is most popular at the Moderate resorts, since the Value resorts only get the Quick Service plan, and the Deluxe resorts are more expensive. For the discount I just booked, the only availability at the Moderate level was CSR, and only one room category was available.
Booking in August for December is very different than booking in August for August or September or October etc.

Ultimately, when I price vacations, I usually just price out rack rate (cost for my trip without any discounts) then subtract whatever discount I think I'll be able to get. Free Dining is actually really easy, because you just price out rack rate for the room and tickets, and don't add the Dining Plan. I'll add 5-10% to account for price increases. In general, everything usually only increases a few dollars every year, so even 5% is probably generous.
Again, for Free Dining, it's easier, because any increase in the dining plan would likely cancel out (or at least get close to it) any increase in the room rate for that year.

ETA: I just saw that rack rates for next year have already been listed, so you can just price out your dates for next year at Rack Rate.

"So frustrated"!? Next fall!? Take a seat. Get a coffee, decaf. Watch some Tele. Come back to your planning at 180 days out. Have a coffee, decaf.

Not sure if this will be helpful bc I no longer remember what our nightly rate was. But our 6 night / 7 day package at CBR (water view) for 2 adults and one under 3 (free) with park hopper plus and free dining came to $2,270.46 total (with tax, etc.) We are going in early September.

I've already booked for October 2016 at CBR with a dining plan. I am hoping that once the free dining is announced I would be credit that amount. Too much hoping or should I wait and see?

I've already booked for October 2016 at CBR with a dining plan. I am hoping that once the free dining is announced I would be credit that amount. Too much hoping or should I wait and see?

Most of October has been blacked out from the dining plan as of late, including this fall.

They won't credit you back. They will have to book a new reservation for you. And it won't be done automatically, you will need to call and see if they have any availability for free dining for your dates at that resort. The problem is that if too many people book in advance, hoping for discount, then the resort will be full enough that they won't offer a discount. That happened last year. Many people had booked in the hopes of getting free dining, so free dining wasn't offered at all of the resorts.

Maxiesmom, can I cancel the dining package and then sign up for it later?

can I cancel the dining package and then sign up for it later?

Yes. The dining plan is always available, up to (I think) 3 days before your arrival. It does not sell out, therefore unless you get the free dining promotion, there's no NEED (note the emphasis on "need") to sign up for it early...unless you want to go ahead and get started paying on it or something. You can sign up at any time for dining (again, up to 3 days from arrival).

I see there is barely any rooms left for 2016 at moderates!! end of sept- October 1 already.

Yes probably but they don't realize is if Disney doesn't have an availability at a hotel then they won't offer it. Smh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter