Planning a Trip

CartPartyof5

Earning My Ears
Hello. We are planning our first trip to WDW. We will be traveling with 9yrB, 8yrB, and 5yrG. Everything I have read says to stay were you will be the most. We are debating between the Polynesian and Beach Club. I would appreciate any help, advise and ideas on how to plan what parks to go to with such an age diffrence. Are there more things appealing to 9&8 year old boys at parks other then MK? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Start with your budget and how many days you'd like to travel. I like to spend a week (one day for each park, extra day for MK, and flex days to return to our favorite things).

Do your boys like Star Wars...? If so, make sure to visit DHS! They can explore the Launch Bay, meet Kylo Ren & Chewbacca, trade with the Jawas, ride Star Tours, see the march of the Storm Troopers, and fight Darth Vader or Seventh Sister at Jedi Training. DHS also has Disney's thrill rides: RnRC and ToT. Your daughter will probably love DHS too because the Disney Junior show and characters are there (Sofia, Doc, Jake)...plus the Frozen Sing Along is not to be missed!

Epcot is great for character meets (princesses galore!) and attractions featuring current Disney franchises: Frozen Ever After, Turtle Talk with Crush, Pixar Film Festival, meets with Baymax, Joy, and Sadness.

I would look at crowd calendars from EasyWDW or Kenny the Pirate and decide which parks you'd like to visit on which days. Then look over the parks maps to plan your fastpass and dining choices.

These are great ideas! Thank you so much!! Its nice to know that there are so many options for the older kids. Thank you again.

Last edited:
I'd also look at renting DVC points for those to help with costs as well as rack rate. Realize that DVC will lock you in to those dates but the savings can be good. Poly villas I know sleep 5 (pull-out sofa and fold down twin). I agree to look at the attractions. One of the nice things is Poly is a monorail resort so you have that transportation option to MK and Epcot. It's right next to the TTC so you can walk there to catch a bus to HS. BC shares buses and boats with YC so sometimes you can wait. On the other hand, BC has SAB which is reputed to be the best pool on the property. BC has a walking option to Epcot (farther walk to HS). I agree HS has some great Star Wars options for your older boys. Epcot has fun stuff for both, especially if you get them into trying snacks from the different countries and/or Agent P's adventure. AK is great for both too -- animals are pretty universally appealing and you have the more intense EE and Dinosaur. I'd do some research about the options from a cost, transportation, and amenities view. FWIW, I ended up choosing Poly more from a convenience factor than anything. Also, ask over on the resort board -- they usually have some experienced opinions on that kind of stuff. GL!

I think that your kids are big enough that you don't have to, necessarily, base your hotel on proximity to a park. That is a good idea with toddlers or preschoolers who may need to exit because they are tired or cranky, but by the time my kids were the ages of yours it usually isn't an issue.

Like was said, I would start with budget and length of stay and work from there. We are park people, so we, generally, don't feel the need to spend a lot on a hotel. For us it's to sleep, shower, and the occasional dip in the pool.

We are a big family. We have enjoyed the family suites at All Star Music (sleeps 6, kitchenette, and 2 bathrooms) We are considering a family Suite at Art of Animation for next year. For more budgety ideas you can also look into the cabins at Fort Wilderness, Caribbean Beach, or Port Orleans Riverside which are "moderate" resorts.

Renting DVC points can save you money on villas over rack rate, but it is still cheaper to get a regular hotel room.

There is something in each park that my kids like, so we generally hit all the parks. Although more expensive, we like the "park hopper" option because Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom as they are aren't full day parks for us, so after we see them we bounce to other parks to catch things we missed or want to do again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter