Planes, Trains & Antitussives, Alaksan Wonder Cruise - All done! Complete 11/21

Nice shots if the glaciers! I can see why the people on the first cruise commented- that ship is close!

Yeah, I can understand why they would have felt gypped. Our Wonder Cruise ship didn't get nearly that close.

Those truffle pursettes- yum! Enjoyed them on the Fantasy

That will be where I enjoy them next! :thumbsup2

Your dress matches Goofy! Love their outfits!

I didn't even plan it that way.

Why?
Or did you mean to say it did a 180?

No, it did a complete circle before sailing away. That way people who were only hanging out on their balconies could see it. Well, I don't truly know, since I left the ship. However on a previous cruise I think it was @cruisehopeful who mentioned that her party on the ship moved (locations on the ship) to see the glacier and then realized that the ship rotated all the way around so everyone would have a chance to see from their vantage point.

Always good to look back at where you came from.

Keeps you grounded.

Ouch. But I suppose you're paying extra for the "privacy".

I looked it up and I need to go back and edit the post. The maximum is 248 passengers. Its a French Cruise line called Ponant. This ship was called Le Soleal I read their write up on Cruise Critic and I'm not sold on them over SilverSea. Drinks are not all-inclusive. However it did have this excerpt:

"Le Soleal and its sisters are all ice-strengthened, so they can sail to Antarctica and the Arctic, destinations that are mixed up with off-the-beaten-track European itineraries, as well as Asia and South America. Each carries a fleet of Zodiac landing crafts for getting ashore and for sightseeing in remote locations."

Great shot!

Thanks! Really puts things in perpective!

But easily treated with medication.

:lmao:

Wavebands?

It's one of the bars in the adult area. We didn't make it to Bingo, but that's where they play it. All the bars are used a staging areas for the excursions. This was the only excursion that day, but on other days all three bars were used for staging.

Makes sense.
Temperature inversions would be very common that time of year.

It was crazy how the difference was.

No kidding!

Probably worrying about Killer Whales about as much as I worry about sharks when I'm near the water.

:rotfl2:

::yes:: Cool, too! I wonder how much isostatic rebound it has in any given year.

I had to look this up, they didn't cover that in my Geology class or I never had the need to recall it before. I guess that has something to do with how tall the mountains are. I mean over the years even if each peak only rises an infinitesimal amount each year, that adds up over millions of years!

Were you outside? Judging from the photos, I'm guessing you were.
Welcome to windchill!

Yeah, I didn't go inside until around the time that I showed the bar photo, so most of the trip I was on the back of the 2nd floor of the boat.

Probably not any colder than what you were feeling, unless they were getting sprayed or going faster.

I think they were doing both. Plus the bottom of their boat was in direct contact with the water.

Aw, look at you in your tuque and everything!

I had to took up tuque as well. We call them skull caps in the US. We went to a military supply store the week before we left to get them. I didn't know where we would find hats like that in So Cal when the weather was 90+.

Oh, that's easy.
Don't omit any of them!

OK, you asked for it! I will omit some of the out of focus, or obvious duplicates, but OK then! Most all the pictures are coming!

Man oh man. That is soooo cool!
Look at that big chunk that's just about ready to let go.
Did you see any calving while you were there?

No we didn't. I kept watching carefully hoping that one chunk would fall off, but it didn't.

::yes:: I believe I mentioned that earlier. Those things have their own ecosystem.

I don't doubt it.

Respect to your Mom. Not even zipped up.

Mom lives in SF Bay area, where they have weather (almost). When I lived there and she took me to swim practice at 5AM, we actually had to scrape ice of the winshield in the wintertime. That sh** doesn't happen on So Cal.

Love how the clouds roll into the valleys.

It was all just so surreal and beautiful.

Love that story. I can just about see it.

I sort of imagine him as Gilligan, only it was probably a lot less humourous than an episode of Gilligan's Island.

During the meal, the servers are dressed in Black and White vests with animated drawings on them. Throughout the meal the pictures and "Paintbrush colums" in the room light up and change colors. By the end of the meal the room is all in color and the servers come out (vests reversed to the colored side) and parade around the room clapping and chanting. They form a human barrier around the edge of the room and that's when Sorcerer Mickey comes in and does a little dance in the middle. The servers are very proud of their little performance.

Sucks if you paid for the excursion I guess. But it is a cool shot.

On the first cruise they ended up refunding half the cost of the excursion to all who went on it.

Was it Oceania? I know when I priced out Silversea, it looked way more expensive than DCL, but it included all the drinks, tips, and excursions. I think it may even have included the airfare. I think Oceania was a step up from Silversea. If the price covers all the stuff, it could be worth it depending on excursions, how much you drink, etc.

No it was Ponant. The ship was Le Soleal. A Silversea cruise is a bucket list item of mine. Did I just say that? I didn't realize that I had any bucket list items, but I guess I do! Silversea is pricey as all get out, but I have a feeling that they are worth every penny. I get their brochures in the mail and drool over them, but don't dare mention any to Fran until our buildings are completely rented. The staterooms all sound heavenly and so much is included!

I only learned the difference between the 2 from your report. I was blown away by how many waterfalls Endicott Arm had. I wonder how many were actually waterfalls. Not that it matters. The cascades are just a nice as the waterfalls.

I know! There were so many pretty waterfalls, or our guide on the small boat told us that most of them were cascades.

The guy in the middle looks like my head server. Was his name Mike? I had a different assistant server (unless the guy on the left got a haircut and I don't recognize him). My servers were nervous wrecks up until the last morning.

Your pictures are making me want to go back so much.

The guy in the middle was actually our bus boy. The gal was the drink server and our main server was the one on the left. I'm so bad with names, I should have written them down in my notes.

So what is the difference between a waterfall and a cascade?

So a waterfall is something that has a constant source and flows year round. A cascade is usually seasonal based on glacial runoff.

Alaska sure looks beautiful. Cold but gorgeous. I would have been terrified next to those falls in that other seemingly tiny boat.

Yeah, I would probably have done it, but not wanted to get that close to the waterfall. Not all the boats got that close. I sure hope that they had CMs navigating them and not guests! :eek:

Dinner looks wonderful. Those pursettes are the best! Sure miss The Wonder.

I love those pursettes! February!

Great update! This is what I look forward to on any Alaska TR's, the Glaciers! I really want to get on an Alaska cruise someday. Maybe 2017 or 2018 I'll get on one.

You won't regret it if you do! This was second and both were amazing, it's something that you can see again and again!

What cruise line was it??

The cruise line is a French one, Ponant. It evidently only has a capacity of 248 passengers. While I'm sure it is nice, the description did not make me want to book on it, because for that price they still charge for beverages. But their allure is that their ships have a reinforced hull and can go into colder climates, so they can do more interesting itineraires.

Makes that boat look like a bathtub toy, LOL

I know doesn't it?

Aww too cute! I Love seals!

They were really cute, I'm glad we actually spied some!

You definitely bundled up! How cold was it, do you think? Did they say?

I'm guessing it was in the 30s. Since the water wasn't frozen, the water had to be above 30 degrees. Probably not much higher, but the other option for that day, Tracy Arm, was frozen in and the ship couldn't go there, so that place must have been much colder.

Awesome pics of the glacier, I love the blue ice, I think it's so cool.

It is really pretty!

Beautiful scenery!! I could use some of that cold right about now! :beach: You are adorable all bundled up! :cold:

I love Minnie's Alaskan outfit :cutie:

The food is beautiful, as always!

I know! It's 90 degrees in Long Beach and Anaheim is 97, Palm Springs is 115! :eek:

All the Alaska outfits were so cool, I wish I could have got Mickey's but his line was either too long or I missed him.

Yes, the food was great! And there's even better to come!

No, it did a complete circle before sailing away. That way people who were only hanging out on their balconies could see it.

Ah! Interesting.
Wait... Did it then do a 180? or does it continue in the same direction?
I got the impression that the glacier was the end of the line.

"Le Soleal and its sisters are all ice-strengthened, so they can sail to Antarctica and the Arctic, destinations that are mixed up with off-the-beaten-track European itineraries, as well as Asia and South America. Each carries a fleet of Zodiac landing crafts for getting ashore and for sightseeing in remote locations."

I stared a long time at "Soleal".
"That's not French... what?"
Then I looked it up on Ponant's web sit. Soléal.
Got it. Pretty name, too.

It's one of the bars in the adult area. We didn't make it to Bingo, but that's where they play it. All the bars are used a staging areas for the excursions. This was the only excursion that day, but on other days all three bars were used for staging.

Ah.

I had to look this up, they didn't cover that in my Geology class or I never had the need to recall it before.

I lived for four years in Churchill, MB where it's also happening.

I guess that has something to do with how tall the mountains are. I mean over the years even if each peak only rises an infinitesimal amount each year, that adds up over millions of years!

Well, the main feature pushing up the mountains is either volcanism or continental drift, but yes, it adds up.

Plus the bottom of their boat was in direct contact with the water.

Hmmm... I wonder if that would make a difference.
Possibly.

I had to took up tuque as well.

:laughing: To a Canadian, that's funny.

We call them skull caps in the US. We went to a military supply store the week before we left to get them. I didn't know where we would find hats like that in So Cal when the weather was 90+.

No, I suppose not.
You'd have trouble finding them up here in Summer too. Maybe souvenir ones at the airport.

OK, you asked for it! I will omit some of the out of focus, or obvious duplicates, but OK then! Most all the pictures are coming!

Sweet.

No we didn't. I kept watching carefully hoping that one chunk would fall off, but it didn't.

Too bad. That would've been something to see!

Mom lives in SF Bay area, where they have weather (almost). When I lived there and she took me to swim practice at 5AM, we actually had to scrape ice of the winshield in the wintertime. That sh** doesn't happen on So Cal.

I hate scraping the car windows. At least I don't have to when I'm at home (the car's in the garage, then.) But it really sucks after a long shift at work.

It was all just so surreal and beautiful.

Surreal! That's the word!

During the meal, the servers are dressed in Black and White vests with animated drawings on them. Throughout the meal the pictures and "Paintbrush colums" in the room light up and change colors. By the end of the meal the room is all in color and the servers come out (vests reversed to the colored side) and parade around the room clapping and chanting. They form a human barrier around the edge of the room and that's when Sorcerer Mickey comes in and does a little dance in the middle. The servers are very proud of their little performance.

This is my reaction.
"Cool! I'd like to see that!... But then after the one time, I don't want to see it again. Can I just eat, please?"

On the first cruise they ended up refunding half the cost of the excursion to all who went on it.

Oh really. Interesting. Nice gesture? Or reaction to backlash?

Mmm.... yummy num! Now I'm craving butternut squash soup! I like pumpkin soup, Thai style with garlic, and a bit of ginger and some lemongrass. Fun update!

There was another cruise ship there, I looked up the information on this ship. Maximum occupancy on this ship is about 500 people, and that would be if most of the staterooms had 4 passengers. There are only 132 staterooms and prices per person start at 150% of the price that Fran and I paid for BOTH of us on the Disney Cruise!

:faint:

The crowds were insane.

Also: :faint:

IMG_9650.jpg

Great photo!!!:thumbsup2

You look pleased as punch to be there.

Excuse the excess of pictures, but they are just so cool, I couldn’t choose which ones to omit.

I can't blame you. You don't see this every day. That blue color is so otherworldly.

The Wonder left us in the dust pretty quickly.

:eek: Wait, come back!

Another look at that waterfall the zodiac boats were looking at.

Looks amazing. I can't get enough of this scenery.

One last look at the Glacier.

OK so I lied before, but this is really the last look at the glacier.

:rotfl2::rotfl:

Platypus Iceberg.

Perry the Platypus?

OK, just one more.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

We took a small detour and on the way out of Endicott Arm in there we saw a Bald eagle.

Wow! Nice catch there!

It is so named in reference to a naval crew member (Henry Ford) who rowed a dinghy into it at slack tide in 1889, and was caught by the currents for six hours when the tide began rushing in, creating rapids.

Wow. Sucks to be that guy.

First we stopped at this (what I believe is the actual waterfall).

Oh man, these are just gorgeous. What an amazing place.

There were complaints by the folks on the first cruise of they year that took the glacier excursion. They said that the Wonder got just as close to the glacier as the smaller boat. I bet that was to get this photo op.

I bet you're right. It's a great shot!

That is so neat. I really enjoyed this on our cruise.

I wasn't able to figure out how the ship maneuvered as I was in Wavebands and then on the smaller boat, but I can see for those who didn't take the excursion, it would be a big benefit.

That photo is very atmospheric

It was a whispy and overcast day.

That is why we camped out on deck 4 in 2013. There were a lot less people about, the views were fantastic and we were more sheltered.

I think my parents were on Deck 4 as well. They seemed to like that location too.

How neat.

I love this photo.

The seals were very cute!

What a great perspective.

You really don't get the idea of just how massive that it is in that picture.

I love the textures in this photo.

Me too, that's why I took so many photos up close!

That sounds intriguing

It was pretty much your standard shot of schnapps.

I love this dress and it works perfectly with Goofy's outfit.

I didn't plan it that way, I just lucked out.

Whatever it was, it looks pretty nice.

All I know is that it was several kinds of pork. I liked it well enough. I just wish I remembered what it was! :lmao:

Holy moly that glacier is massive!

I know, it's deceptive, but it was totally huge.

Crazy to see everyone bundled up when back in Cali it was scorching hot!

I know, I so much enjoyed getting away from the heat.

:scared:no thanks.

Awwww, where's your sense of adventure?

You look cute all bundled up like that!

Thanks!

Wow. So I like cold weather (mainly so I can wear scarves, jackets, etc) but this sounds ridiculous.

It was really cold. I don't mind the cooler weather as long as I can get out of it eventually.

Gorgeous!

So so beautiful but wouldn't want to touch it :laughing:

Don't worry, you couldn't have gotten close enough to even try.

I can see why especially if the excursion was a pretty penny.

As I said to another person, on the first cruise they refunded 50% of the cost for the excursion.

:scared1:OMGOsh that is way too close for comfort! :faint:

I think the perspective is probably skewed, but it is really close.

Ah! Interesting.
Wait... Did it then do a 180? or does it continue in the same direction?
I got the impression that the glacier was the end of the line.

Well we approached the Glacier with the front of the ship pointing toward the Glacier. And yes, the Glacier was a dead end. Then we started to turn in a counter-clockwise manner. When I took my pictures from Deck 10 the ship had turned about 45 degrees. I went downstairs to Deck 3 and sat in the bar (waiting for the excursion) for about 20 minutes maybe more. When we boarded the small ship for our excursion, my cabin was facing towards the Glacier which means that it had turned 270 degrees.

OK, so it didn't go 360 degrees, it went 270 degrees counterclockwise and then rotated 90 degrees clockwise and sailed out of the bay.

I stared a long time at "Soleal".
"That's not French... what?"
Then I looked it up on Ponant's web sit. Soléal.
Got it. Pretty name, too.

I have to do a lot to make an accent acute, but I did find the alt-codes.

I lived for four years in Churchill, MB where it's also happening.

Interesting to note...

Well, the main feature pushing up the mountains is either volcanism or continental drift, but yes, it adds up.

I could understand that.

Hmmm... I wonder if that would make a difference.
Possibly.

I would think so. I've been on one of those in Hawaii, where I'm sure it didn't make much of a difference, but I think it would in Alaska.

No, I suppose not.
You'd have trouble finding them up here in Summer too. Maybe souvenir ones at the airport.

Well I'm glad that I was able to find it. Made a big difference. Now, will I ever use it again? :confused3

OK. You asked for it.

Too bad. That would've been something to see!

It sure would have!

I hate scraping the car windows. At least I don't have to when I'm at home (the car's in the garage, then.) But it really sucks after a long shift at work.

Do you have a plug in your garage to keep your car warm at night?

This is my reaction.
"Cool! I'd like to see that!... But then after the one time, I don't want to see it again. Can I just eat, please?"

And I've been on the Wonder 6 times now.

Oh really. Interesting. Nice gesture? Or reaction to backlash?

I think a little of both.

Great photo!!!:thumbsup2

Thanks!

You look pleased as punch to be there.

I do have to admit I was a bit giddy!

I can't blame you. You don't see this every day. That blue color is so otherworldly.

It was absolutely incredible.

:eek: Wait, come back!

I know, I had a small pang of anxiety as I saw it sailing away.

Looks amazing. I can't get enough of this scenery.

It was very beautiful.

Perry the Platypus?

Might as well be!

Wow! Nice catch there!

Actually the ship's Captain pointed it out to us.

Wow. Sucks to be that guy.

I know.

Oh man, these are just gorgeous. What an amazing place.

It really was. Endicott Arm was not supposed to be our original destination, but Tracy Arm was iced in. I wasn't disappointed with the change.

I bet you're right. It's a great shot!

I'm glad I bought it!

Day 7

I woke up by 6:45 When we docked in Skagway. The tide was somewhat low as I was to find out later.

I went out an hour or so later and it was even lower, but I don’t have pictures.

Since we were back in the US, I turned on my cell phone and called our doctor. She had been on vacation while we were in Vancouver, but she got back home the day the cruise left. I got her voice mail and left her a message that we still needed a prescription.

We went to breakfast at Triton's. My parents were barely getting up when we were ready so we went on our own.

Fran went with the Eggs Benedict

I went with the Three Egg Omelet with everything and add spinach.

The doc called during breakfast and said that she would email a prescription later this afternoon when she was back home and finished visiting patients.

Since we were on American soil and I had turned my cell phone on, I had some inquiries on the vacant apartment to respond to. We came back to the room so that I could do it from my computer. Business taken care of, we headed off the ship. There was a city shuttle that drove up as we disembarked. I ran to find out if it was HA, and it was! Score! So for $10 ($5 each for a day pass, or $2 each way) we were on our way!

I'd heard that the town was a big tourist trap, and they weren't kidding. It reminded me of Main Street without the Disneyfied touches. Every store sold either Jewelry, Alaskan art, food or T-shirts.

Fran had seeked out the Harley Store and got her obligatory T-shirt. She also saw this one in the store which was attached to the Harley Store.

There was a candy store right across the street and I couldn't resist a chocolate caramel and a sea foam covered in chocolate.

As we walked through the town she suggested we find a sandwich store to get something for the train. Lo and behold the next stop we found a place! We got a ham and cheese sandwich for on the train in case their snacks weren't enough.

We also got a piece of Rhubarb Coffee Cake, which in the end, I thought was gross so she ate it all.

We made our way to the end of the street. I had hoped to find a place that sold OTC coughing medications but no luck.

We caught the shuttle back to the ship and lucked out. We didn't have to reboard the ship to go to Diversions to meet only to turn around and disembark. Instead we could wait outside the ship and then board the train. Besides, they were changing which deck the ship was boarding from, evidently due to the tides. This was the excursion we would be taking.

This is the route we would be taking.

But for now, this is where we waited.

There was some confusion which really pissed Fran off. Me as well. They told us to go and wait in this one spot, so Fran rode her scooter there and I took it back to the dock where we had planned to leave it during our excursion. It was all the way past that chute in this picture. Where the clump of people are forming, beyond the crowd in the foreground (the one with a lady on a scooter).

When I walked back to her, she was questioning if we were in the right place, as there were kids in line and our group was only for 21 and older. Yes, we were in the wrong place and she had to walk back. I got her the scooter and brought it to her about halfway back, but with her wheezing and feeling crappy this incident didn't help. Plus, she had to use the restroom and there wasn't one in sight. Finally, we got the excursion debacle sorted out and we boarded a motor coach which transported to the other side of the port where our train was waiting.

You see we had booked the VIP train package. When we got on the train car, I was not disappointed.

Fran got her restroom stop and felt much better, at least for a while. Our luxury coach was all that. There were only 14 seats and 9 people on board. So we sat back in our air conditioned coach and got ready for departure.

I’ll be back with our trip up the mountain!

Hanging on the edge of my seat! Glad the VIP was nice after the run around you got, and that the doctor got back to you!!

Intrigued to hear how the pricey sandwich was also :rolleyes1

I woke up by 6:45 When we docked in Skagway. The tide was somewhat low as I was to find out later.

This looked like a beautiful day.

I'd heard that the town was a big tourist trap, and they weren't kidding. It reminded me of Main Street without the Disneyfied touches. Every store sold either Jewelry, Alaskan art, food or T-shirts.

We never made it to the town. We went on the train and then headed back on the ship for lunch and never got off again. Looks like we did not miss a great deal.

When I walked back to her, she was questioning if we were in the right place, as there were kids in line and our group was only for 21 and older. Yes, we were in the wrong place and she had to walk back.

What a pain. It should not be too difficult to direct people to the right spot.

You see we had booked the VIP train package. When we got on the train car, I was not disappointed.

That looks very lovely.

Corinna

I've read a lot of your trip reports, and haven't posted on any of them before (DIS Boards lurker!) But I am loving your writing style, pictures and adventures in Alaska! Amazing pics!

OK, so it didn't go 360 degrees, it went 270 degrees counterclockwise and then rotated 90 degrees clockwise and sailed out of the bay.

Interesting manoeuvre.

I have to do a lot to make an accent acute, but I did find the alt-codes.

I don't know why, but on my keyboard, hitting Ctrl-Shift switches things around like this.
Normal = ?']\
Ctrl-Shift = Éèçà

Which is a real pain in the butt because I fairly frequently accidentally hit Ctrl-Shift.

I would think so. I've been on one of those in Hawaii, where I'm sure it didn't make much of a difference, but I think it would in Alaska.

Probably so.

Well I'm glad that I was able to find it. Made a big difference. Now, will I ever use it again? :confused3

Sure! Come up for a visit in winter.

OK. You asked for it.

:laughing:

Do you have a plug in your garage to keep your car warm at night?

Technically yes, but we've never plugged them in, in the garage.
It's not heated or insulated, but I guess there's enough residual heat from the house that leaks in (attached garage) to just keep it warm enough so frost doesn't form.

And I've been on the Wonder 6 times now.

:faint:

I woke up by 6:45 When we docked in Skagway.

Hey! You slept in!

The tide was somewhat low as I was to find out later.

Foreshadowing?

Chocolate?

Fran went with the Eggs Benedict

Smart girl, that Fran.

I went with the Three Egg Omelet with everything and add spinach.

Not a bad choice either.
(Well, spinach and I don't get along, but other than that...)

The doc called during breakfast and said that she would email a prescription later this afternoon when she was back home and finished visiting patients.

Good service!

I'd heard that the town was a big tourist trap, and they weren't kidding. It reminded me of Main Street without the Disneyfied touches.

It does! But I kinda like it.

Every store sold either Jewelry, Alaskan art, food or T-shirts.

Yeah. No surprise there. And at grossly overinflated prices I'm sure.

Fran had seeked out the Harley Store and got her obligatory T-shirt.

Did I mention she's smart?

There was a candy store right across the street and I couldn't resist a chocolate caramel and a sea foam covered in chocolate.

::yes::

As we walked through the town she suggested we find a sandwich store to get something for the train. Lo and behold the next stop we found a place! We got a ham and cheese sandwich for on the train in case their snacks weren't enough.

Oh! See, I never would've thought of that.
"I'm sure there'll be something on the train."

And I've had a couple of poor experiences with food on trains, so you'd think I'd know better.

We also got a piece of Rhubarb Coffee Cake, which in the end, I thought was gross so she ate it all.

Too bad. That sounds interesting.

We made our way to the end of the street. I had hoped to find a place that sold OTC coughing medications but no luck.

Really? Odd. You'd think there would've been someplace.

Pretty picture of you! :)

This was the excursion we would be taking.

Cool!

This is the route we would be taking.

Oh, wow! That looks like it's going to be epic!

When I walked back to her, she was questioning if we were in the right place, as there were kids in line and our group was only for 21 and older. Yes, we were in the wrong place and she had to walk back. I got her the scooter and brought it to her about halfway back, but with her wheezing and feeling crappy this incident didn't help.

:sad2: That's just.... bad.

Look at those chairs! Holy crap! Talk about comfy looking!

I’ll be back with our trip up the mountain!

I seriously cannot wait.

I love the May the North be with you shirt!!!

What time was your excursion that you were able to go into town first?

Great that the doctor called back.

Not great that they directed you to the wrong place and Fran was having a hard time breathing :(

Those train seats look magnificent! Can't wait to hear about it.

"Where is your van? Don't you two normally show up in a van?" Great. Now we're notorious!
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Then he takes his suitcoat from over his shoulder in a very suave move and starts to put it back on as he walks towards me. By this point I'm staring directly at him and he is looking at me. I'm like, "I know that guy!" And I wanted to blurt out, "Hey Tony!" Then I got a hold of myself and realized that's Michael Weatherly, he doesn't know me.
Holy crap! I can't believe he'd do something like that to somewhat create a scene in public. You'd think someone like that would want to keep as low a profile as possible. Sounds like his on screen persona might not be so different from his actual persona.

Our stewardess was a complete and total idiot. When she asked me what I wanted to drink, I asked if they had any V8.

She looked at me as if I had three heads and said, "What's that?" :confused3
Didn't you want to say "shoulda had a V8" and slap her in the forehead like the old commercials?

When they saw Fran the gentleman directed us in completely the opposite direction and we ended up going through the window for foreign diplomats, with no wait!
I knew there was more than meets the eye when it comes to Fran. Now we know she has international ties... :rolleyes1

"The menu has changed then. I wouldn't have chosen to eat here with this menu." Oops again on my part!
Crap... you aren't making her very happy on this first leg!

The next stop was the totem poles.
Awesome! Just like EPCOT!

Actually that whole island with the totem poles and gardens really goes to show how well done the Canada pavilion is at EPCOT. It feels like a few of those pictures almost could have been taken there.

Next stop was the Hollowed Out Tree, which has been an attraction since the 1890's. It began to decay and started leaning in (80's/90's) and was almost demolished, but some activists got together and raised enough money to have it reinforced and uprighted.
I don't get this. I mean I guess I understand it having read the sign you photographed, but trees aren't meant to stand hollowed out forever. They live, they die, they fall down. Let nature do it's thing if you really want to "preserve" it.

When I went to bed, Fran was hacking and coughing like a Sea lion.
Uh oh...

Normally I wear only stretch pants. I had tried on these jeans on New Year’s Day back when I was heavier. Since I rarely wear jeans at home, I hadn’t put them on since I was in Louisiana, and they were practically falling off me.
Well, if you're going to be surprised when you try to put jeans on, this is the type of surprise you want!

Fran wasn’t nearly loaded up like a pack mule as before.
:rotfl2:But I love the case of water under her.

A very sweet DISer had arranged for a Bon Voyage package in the room!
What a nice surprise!

I put Fran to bed. One of the things that I have neglected to explain here, is that she takes a very powerful drug for her RA. The drug works by suppressing her immune system, as the gist of RA is that the body’s immune system is attacking the joints, thus causing the pain. At the first sign of sickness, she stopped taking the RA drugs. It takes about 2 days for this particular drug to leave the system, so by this day (Monday), not only was she having symptoms of the cough, but her RA drugs had worn off and she was very stiff and having trouble moving.
Oh no... what great timing. :faint:

I don’t know what happened to my Dad. At the first mention of the word “picture” he was nowhere to be found! :lmao: It wasn’t until we were all done that he reappeared.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: I like the way he rolls.

My Dad had an issue with this. He actually started hassling her somewhat hardcore. She told him that it was the policy that we couldn’t have the wine bottles on the table. Since the table next to us was empty, she placed the bottles at the edge of that table, and my father seemed satisfied with that compromise.
I'd have an issue with this too. Maybe it is normal on a Disney cruise, but it seems a bit odd to me. I mean I don't think I'd make too big a deal of it, but I get his frustration.

When I got back to the room Fran informed me that she was going to stay in bed and skip Palo and Mixology. When I woke up at 4AM coughing Fran had already been awake for over an hour, and she was up for several hours with her cough. While I was at the Naturalist talk she had coughed so hard that she ended up tossing her cookies. She hoped that spending the day in bed would allow her to feel up for dinner that night.
Wow... rough start to the cruise.

As promised Hristo was our server.
Awesome!

Because the Strawberry Soup came so highly recommended from Fran, Mom decided to try it.
And this just proves how bad Fran was feeling. I can't believe she'd pass on Strawberry Soup!

I didn’t show my mom how to use the zoom on my point and shoot before I ran up there!
:rotfl2: Oh, come on. She was just trying to show the scale of the presentation area.

After the two photo ops we headed off to dinner where we were seated fairly quickly. Our drink server couldn’t wait to see us. She had checked with the Head Server and received a special dispensation that the wine could be placed directly on our table. She was very excited to share this news.
Your dad must have really had her intimidated. :rotfl:

She has probably watched some of the other movies when I'm not around, but that's where I'm at or was at, since this trip we have also watched Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man 2.
Well, at least you're ready for the changes to the Tower in DCA.

It’s OK that the bacon and sausage are touching because that’s how I eat eggs over easy, on a little toast with a piece of bacon or sausage.
I thought it was Ok because they come from the same general place. :rolleyes1

Excuse the excess of pictures, but they are just so cool, I couldn’t choose which ones to omit.
Um... don't mind one bit! I loved all the pictures of the glaciers, mountains and cascades!

I got a glass of Peppermint Schnapps.
Mmmm.... the only thing better would have been if you had some hot chocolate to mix it with.

I almost forgot about this one. I didn't take it, but I purchased it at the end of the cruise. I think it was taken on the very first cruise of the year. There were complaints by the folks on the first cruise of they year that took the glacier excursion. They said that the Wonder got just as close to the glacier as the smaller boat. I bet that was to get this photo op.
I can understand that. It would suck to pay for a premium package only to find out you really didn't need to spend the extra money for it to get the same/similar experience.

Sorry for the difficulty in getting there, but that certainly does look like the VIP way to travel! :thumbsup2

Ha, that shirt is all kinds of awesome!!!

Glad you were able to get in touch with the doc.

Frustrating at the beginning of the excursion for sure :cool: but wow oh wow....booking the VIP car for the train ride looks like a FABULOUS idea! Ridin' the rails in style!!:dancer::dancer:

Oh cool!!! So glad that I found this trip report :-) Sorry you got off to a yucky start with the colds. I can't wait to see how the rest of the trip was. It is making me anxious for our Return to Alaska trip next year ;-)

There were complaints by the folks on the first cruise of they year that took the glacier excursion. They said that the Wonder got just as close to the glacier as the smaller boat.
Feeling very fortunate to have been on this first cruise now if the ship is staying
further back.

Also very nice to see those Skagway shots by the pier with a sunny blue sky--that was our grayest port with the weather.

But, but it's so pretty it's luring me in!

:thumbsup2

I don't think i've ever tried this!

You look nice! And lovin' the Dooney.

The only way to travel!

Wow on the VIP section of the train.

You look darling in your white pants! And nice purse. :cloud9:

That stinks that Fran had to walk back. What a headache.

I can't believe you couldn't find cough syrup. Don't people in Skagway get sick?

Breakfast looks good but oh my, I want Disney to get better pastries. I found them all so dry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter