Planes, Trains & Antitussives, Alaksan Wonder Cruise - All done! Complete 11/21

Well, I'm already scheduled to work on the first day off....

That's a bummer!

NO!

I would be the same. Except instead of "ugh", I'd say "AIYYEEEEEE!!!!!"

Its been in the 90s for the last week, and I'm really missing my pool. It certainly would be warm even without the heater.

Whoa. I can just imagine the news that day.
"There were 3 traffic fatalities, 1 homicide, 2 accidental deaths and 245 spontaneous combustions."

Strangely enough I don't think there were any spontaneous combustions. :scratchin

All the northern States are gonna be cold. Some more than others, of course. Western NY is about as far north as Northern California.
Which always blows my mind, BTW.

I think it's the ocean breeze that keeps it temperate.

I'm here.....I'm here!! Late as usual, but here non the less.

:welcome: You're just in time, we're about to set sail!

Your room at the port is beautiful. I love all the windows. So sorry that Fran is sick - bless her and you. Your parents are so cute.

I can't wait for the rest!

Thanks! More coming shortly!

I need more! We leave in less than 3 weeks!!

I was all set to post the next chapter and then I found all these posts I had to reply to! :laughing:

Day 4

The next morning I woke up at 5:30AM for um, well you know personal reasons. I laid back down in bed and that’s when I realized that any minute the Wonder could come sailing under the Lions Gate Bridge and into the harbor.

Since I had the International phone package, I fired up the internet and started checking FB and DIS just to see what was going on. I got the big camera out, opened all the curtains and took this picture out the window towards the city. (Although looking at the light and in hindsight I may have taken this the night before.)

As well as these.

OK so back to cruise morning. Once I was awake I started responding to posts on the WDW Trip Report via my phone. All the while though, I had one eye on the phone and the other watching out the window. At 6:15 I got my first sighting. I spent the next 45 minutes to an hour taking pictures. I only included some of the better ones.

I wasn’t the only crazy one watching!

Then she turned around to dock. I could see our stateroom!

See the big deck in back (aka secret verandah), ours is the verandah two to the left.

The family pool and funnel vision.

And then I realized that I was probably getting a little excessive and over excited. We had decided the night before to go down to breakfast around 8:30AM. I took my shower, got dressed, Fran and my parents were ready to go too. Breakfast was included in our cruise package, it wasn’t anything jaw dropping, but it was good and had plenty for everyone to eat. It was a small buffet. Fran was still coughing a lot (I was too), but she had a good appetite so that was a positive.

My first plate, packed with protein.

So that I could have one of these!

Fran started on her first plate before I got a picture, but she did have me fix her this bagel for her second plate.

When we got back to the room, Fran wanted to do a little rearranging of carry ons and suitcases. Once we finished, I said, “Well let’s call for the bellman and go down there!”

She objected, “You said our Port Arrival time was 11:00AM!”

I said that 11:00 is when we should get to the room where we wait, we have to go through all the check in stuff first. Grudgingly she agreed, and we called for the bags around 10AM. It took a little while for the bellman to come up and also to load up the cart with both ours and my parents luggages. (Our rooms were right next to each other) It was 10:35AM when we were on our way to the check in area. As we were doing the actual check in, I was trying to keep my cough under control as was Fran. I didn’t lie on the Health Questionnaire, they said ”Have you had a Fever AND one of the following…” Neither of us had a fever so I could answer the questions honestly!

Between getting KTTW, passing security, declaring wine and passing customs it was 11:15 when we got to the waiting room. This was the first time during the boarding process that anyone actually checked how much wine we had and even looked at it.

Fran and I had boarding group 3, and my parents had 5! For first time cruisers that’s pretty good! Their PAT was supposed to be 11:30AM.

Fran wasn’t nearly loaded up like a pack mule as before.

Somewhere in there, we were given our first Navigators of the cruise.

I got in line for a pic with Mickey, when I reached the front, a CM came over and said, “We have the family of the day here.” And she put them in front of me. Just then Minnie came out so they got a two mouse picture.

Then they switched out for Minnie. Oh Well, she’s cool too.

After pictures, my mom pointed out that Finding Dory wasn't playing at a convenient time for us all week. However, if we moved back our Palo reservation we could see it as "the show" on Thursday.

Just a reminder for anyone who isn’t sure, I thought I would include this visual representation of where we are going.

We waited about 15 more minutes until boarding started and by 12 noon Fran and I were waiting to take our embarkation photo.

Mom and Dad were on shortly after we were. My first task was to change our first Palo Brunch reservation to add my parents, move our Palo Dinner back 15 minutes and get a second brunch reservation for Fran and myself. I had to wait until 12:30 when the "reservation change" desk for Palo opened. I was able to accomplish everything that I wanted, and I even requested Hristo as our server.

Then it was off to lunch at Parrot Cay. I’ll wrap it up here for now, and be back soon with the rest of the day.

Day 4

I was able to accomplish everything that I wanted, and I even requested Hristo as our server.

Then it was off to lunch at Parrot Cay. I’ll wrap it up here for now, and be back soon with the rest of the day.

Love Hristo. We had him during our Alaskan cruise last summer. He was awesome!!!

You got some gorgeous shots of the Wonder coming into the Harbour and right up to Canada Place!

Fantastic photos of the ship coming in!! A def advantage to being up early!! Whoa your room looks great!

When we boarded the Fantasy last May we had a great fellow checking us in who could see how excited we were- he was awesome and wrote our boarding group number as 12, but spaced the numbers WAYYY apart and showed me how to show it to the person at the front of the line with the 2 covered up, so essentially gave us boarding group 1! So cool! By the time we left him they were calling groups 1 and 2 so essentially we were right on- so fun!

Super cute Minnie picture also!

How adorable is that pic of you and Minnie! Love it!

I got excited seeing your initial pics of The Wonder so I can only imagine how giddy you were! :hyper:

Love the photos of the wonder coming into port, i always get excited when I see the ship, it is like it is truly real at that moment.

The picture of you embarkation looks like you two are ready for anything.

Happy to see you got your reservations sorted and you got your favorite waiter!

That is amazing you got such lovely photos of The Wonder as she comes into port. I love that you could even spy your stateroom and secret verendah!

Good news on getting onboard by midday. Also for changing and adding your dining to be able to see Finding Dory. A productive day so far. Minnie too cute!

Looking forward to the next stage in your voyage. How funny they were looking for the run runners...

I love the pics of the Wonder coming under the bridge! I love embarkation day!

Jill in CO

Love Hristo. We had him during our Alaskan cruise last summer. He was awesome!!!

:welcome: He has been our Palo server on the Wonder for four years now.

You got some gorgeous shots of the Wonder coming into the Harbour and right up to Canada Place!

Thanks!

Fantastic photos of the ship coming in!! A def advantage to being up early!! Whoa your room looks great!

Thanks!

When we boarded the Fantasy last May we had a great fellow checking us in who could see how excited we were- he was awesome and wrote our boarding group number as 12, but spaced the numbers WAYYY apart and showed me how to show it to the person at the front of the line with the 2 covered up, so essentially gave us boarding group 1! So cool! By the time we left him they were calling groups 1 and 2 so essentially we were right on- so fun!

That's a hilarious story!

Super cute Minnie picture also!

Thank you!

How adorable is that pic of you and Minnie! Love it!

I got excited seeing your initial pics of The Wonder so I can only imagine how giddy you were! :hyper:

Thanks! I was practically jumping up and down, except that would have ruined the photos so I didn't.

Great shots of the Wonder coming into Vancouver.

Thanks!

Love the photos of the wonder coming into port, i always get excited when I see the ship, it is like it is truly real at that moment.

I know! This is the first time that I have been able to watch the ship come into Port and it was so exciting!

The picture of you embarkation looks like you two are ready for anything.

Happy to see you got your reservations sorted and you got your favorite waiter!

She looks pretty good for someone who feels as bad as she did!

That is amazing you got such lovely photos of The Wonder as she comes into port. I love that you could even spy your stateroom and secret verendah!

Thanks!

Good news on getting onboard by midday. Also for changing and adding your dining to be able to see Finding Dory. A productive day so far. Minnie too cute!

Looking forward to the next stage in your voyage. How funny they were looking for the run runners...

The day went quite according to plan!

I love the pics of the Wonder coming under the bridge! I love embarkation day!

Jill in CO

The excitement of being on the ship is so intoxicating!

And Funnelvision. That was one of our favorite parts of the cruise. :cloud9:

That's funny because in all my cruises, I only think I have sat there once and that was to finish a drink before I went to the spa. Maybe 15-20 minutes.

However, that is why I think the Disney cruises are so much fun. I read TRs about people who were on the same cruise as me and they had a COMPLETELY different experience than I did! I really think that there is something for everyone on the ships!

That's funny because in all my cruises, I only think I have sat there once and that was to finish a drink before I went to the spa. Maybe 15-20 minutes.

However, that is why I think the Disney cruises are so much fun. I read TRs about people who were on the same cruise as me and they had a COMPLETELY different experience than I did! I really think that there is something for everyone on the ships!

We watched it the first night I believe. Mary Poppins was playing. I sat there with Pam and Joshua and watched it. It was so beautiful; watching one of our favorites on the sea. Heaven. Joshua keeps telling me we need to go on another cruise. Guess what I keep telling him? #pension :lmao: :blush:

We watched it the first night I believe. Mary Poppins was playing. I sat there with Pam and Joshua and watched it. It was so beautiful; watching one of our favorites on the sea. Heaven.

Sounds like a nice relaxing night. We need to spend more time outside up on deck. Normally I'm on the verandah and Fran is like you will see her in the next update.

Joshua keeps telling me we need to go on another cruise. Guess what I keep telling him? #pension :lmao: :blush:

:lmao: :rotfl2: #lottery

So we headed to Parrot Cay for lunch and were seated at a table for four. Whatever rest that Fran had got the night before was starting to wear off. She was coughing steadily and sucking on cough drops repeatedly. And she was starting to get cranky. I let her and the rest of the family hit the buffet first. Sorry, no buffet pics. However, it was exactly the same as it was on our B2B, so you can check out this post from October.

Just Relaxin’ on the Wonder – Nowhere, Nothing, Nada. - Complete! and Final Thoughts

My Mom got back to the table first. Her plate looks like one of Fran’s.

I went up to the buffet once my Mom got back to the table. My plate

I ate most of mine, and then went up for some dessert.

Fran was starting to get really tired and cranky, and the room was ready so we left the restaurant. When I walked into the room I had no idea what was going on! What was all this stuff?

Then I noticed this:

A very sweet DISer had arranged for a Bon Voyage package in the room!

Our Castaway Club gifts were on the bed.

The bathroom

The verandah

I put Fran to bed. One of the things that I have neglected to explain here, is that she takes a very powerful drug for her RA. The drug works by suppressing her immune system, as the gist of RA is that the body’s immune system is attacking the joints, thus causing the pain. At the first sign of sickness, she stopped taking the RA drugs. It takes about 2 days for this particular drug to leave the system, so by this day (Monday), not only was she having symptoms of the cough, but her RA drugs had worn off and she was very stiff and having trouble moving.

Once I knew that she was comfortable, I took my parents on a nickel tour of the ship. We went down to Deck 4. I showed them Animator’s Palate (which was closed), and we walked through Shutters. We looked in on the Atrium and people were still boarding and walked through the now closed shops to the Walt Disney Theater. I gave them some of the little tidbits that I had learned on my “Art of the Theme Ship” tour in October and then we went down the stairs to Deck 3. I was going to tell them that Radar Trap sold duty free liquor, but then I noticed it had been converted into an Alaska Native type souvenir shop. Just then, I literally bumped into the coordinator of our FB group as they were coming out of the meet and greet at Diversions. It was time for the group picture at the Ariel statue, so we all headed out of there. My Mom and I walked together and I pointed out the Cadillac Lounge, and Wave Bands. I don’t know why I didn’t bring my camera along!

Mom and I posed for the picture.

I don’t know what happened to my Dad. At the first mention of the word “picture” he was nowhere to be found! :lmao: It wasn’t until we were all done that he reappeared.

Then we went up to Deck 5, and I bored them with more of my knowledge from the Art of the Theme Ship Tour. We were going to peek in the Buena Vista Theater, but Zootopia was still playing, so we decided not to be rude.

Then up to Deck 9 where I showed them Beach Blanket Buffet. We walked through and I showed them that the food was nearly identical to what was downstairs, but a little more frantic. Then we went by Goofy’s, the Ice Cream Dispenser, and I took them past Pluto’s Dog House and Pinocchios. I don’t think they utilized any of these options at all, except maybe had a sandwich from Goofy’s.

We passed through the Cove Café, and it was very interesting, all the booze was put away. When I asked, the barista told me that it was Canadian Law, and they couldn’t have the bottles out in port. But they assured me that as soon as we were far enough out to sea, they would be back. I didn’t really care, I come here for coffee, not booze!

We ended up at the spa. Mom got roped into the raffle, as we got there just before 3PM. So we filled out tickets and went to listen for the winners. We sat through 15 minutes of commercials while they only gave out 1 prize so we took off before they got to the big winners.

We went back to our rooms, and started the process to wake Fran for muster drill. We went to our same spot in Animator’s Palate and while we were waiting for the drill to start. Hristo saw us and came over to say “Hello” he was very excited to see us. I told him that we would be in Palo the next day.

They let Fran go first to beat the crowds, and I stayed with my parents, Surprisingly, she made it back first. The luggage was outside most of the staterooms by now and my parents went back to their room and got involved in unpacking. I had to call them for our "sail away party". We had talked about ordering the “All Hands on Deck” cheese platter from room service, but none of us was hungry after eating both breakfast and lunch, so we just enjoyed the sail away.

Leaving the city behind.

Looking back at Canada Place

There you can see the bridge.

The Lighthouse

Flying things of all kinds

And we’re about to cross under

We were just there two days ago!

And then we sailed off into the wilderness of Alaska!

Ugh, so sorry Fran wasn't feeling well at all. Looks like some tasty food and that's awesome that you show off your ship knowledge!

Yay for sailaway! What a nice sailaway surprise in your room!

Jill in CO

I'm booking the Walt suite for all of us once I hit the lottery!

Jill in CO

Cool! I'm in!

Ugh, so sorry Fran wasn't feeling well at all.

I know. But the sad part is that for me, it was about the same as most of our other first days of the cruise. She always naps right after lunch.

Looks like some tasty food and that's awesome that you show off your ship knowledge!

Yay for sailaway! What a nice sailaway surprise in your room!

I wonder what it's going to be like when it becomes "Tiana's" or whatever they are doing with it. Yeah, I couldn't believe when I saw that! I didn't even know you could do that for someone else!

Oh poor Fran, such a crummy start to the cruise :guilty:

I have to say, what a great room! Love that verandah!! How sweet that someone bought you the bon voyage package!!:flower:

I remember sailing under the Lions Gate bridge when we took the repo cruise to San Diego last September, such a surreal moment. I've been under it several times on *muchsmaller* boats :rotfl2:but to sail under on the Wonder.....:boat: Can't wait to do it on our Alaskan cruise in 2017.

Crossing my fingers that things start to improve quite quickly for Fran!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter