Pixie Dust, Pineapples, & Plummits - a May 2011 TR - Updated 3/17/12

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by dtr_angel, May 30, 2011.

1. dtr_angel

dtr_angel You're really cute, but I have no idea what you ar

Hello! :) I wrote my first PTR so it's only appropriate now that we are back to start my first TR! We stayed for 7 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge on the dining plan from May 19 - May 26th. This was our 4th trip together since we got married on May 31, 2008.

Cast
    [​IMG]

"Moose", (me) a 26 year old nursing student, and I work part time as a pharm tech in a hospital, where I have worked for 5 years.

[​IMG]

My husband, "Truck", a 26 year old college graduate who works as a freight conductor for the railroad. He is currently sleeping off his first trip back to work, and is not happy to be in MD and not in Disney World!

and because he will be mentioned... Nemo, our very lovable 20 pound, almost 2 year old furbaby.

[​IMG]

Join me for all the ups & downs of this African adventure -​

Pixie Dust, Pineapples, & Plummits!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dtr_angel

Thursday 5/19 - Arrival, dinner @ Boma, MSEP at MK
    Part 1 - Take me home, country roads
    Day 1, Part 2 - Smooth
    Day 1, Part 3 - The beginning of the end (2 consecutive posts)
    Day 1 Photopass Picture

Oops, did I forget to mention we were upgraded to CL for our troubles?

Friday 5/20 - Morning at MK, dinner @ Biergarten, EMH at Epcot

Day 2, Part 1 - Let the memories begin!
    Day 2, Part 2 - Willkommen

Saturday, May 21 - Happy Armed Forces Day!
    Part 1 - It's the end of the world as we know it, but thankfully not Disney World! [ (2 consecutive posts)
    Part 2

Sunday May 22 - Blizzard Beach, dinner @ Grand Floridian Cafe, evening at MK
    Part 1 - Blizzard Beach
    Part 2 - Our Grand Evening

Monday May 23 - POFQ, DD, dinner @ Mama Melrose's and evening at DHS
    Part 1 - Wake me up before you go go
    Part 2 - We finally made it to Hollywood Studios!

Tuesday May 24 - Epcot, Dinner @ Yak & Yeti
    Part 1 - Epcot
    Part 2 - Epcot
    Part 3 - Dinner at Yak & Yeti

4. heaven2dc

heaven2dc DIS Veteran

I'm in! and first :) Can't wait to read all about your trip :banana:

5. pinkxray

pinkxray DIS Veteran

I'm in. can't wait to hear all about your trip.

6. Lidian

Lidian DIS Veteran

I'm here!! :goodvibes

7. leshunlenese

leshunlenese DIS Veteran

coming over after mostly lurking on your PTR.

8. PixieMama

PixieMama DIS Veteran

I'm here!

9. Lifelong_Dreamer

Lifelong_Dreamer DIS Veteran

Joining in!

We were in WDW at the same time. :goodvibes

We are near the same age and I am also a nursing student! :thumbsup2

Looking forward to the report!

10. natebenma

natebenma DIS Veteran

Welcome home!

I SO can't wait to hear about your adventures!!!

Bring it on!

Dee

11. dtr_angel

On Wednesday we had a lot to do to get ready and leave for vacation. I had planned on eating an early dinner and being in bed really early, but of course that didn’t happen. DH ran and got us some Chick fil a for dinner and we ate before my parents came over around 5. I showed them where everything was (as if they didn’t already know) and said our goodbyes to them. They didn’t stay long since they knew we wanted to get in bed early. DH wanted to watch the Orioles & Yankees game that didn’t start until 7:05pm, and I remember telling him that was too late. By the time I finished packing and everything, I didn’t get in bed until after 10pm and DH had already been in bed for a while, so I guess he won: P The alarm was set for 2am. I was SO excited I couldn’t sleep, and I was keeping DH awake. This is apparently a tradition for me the night before vacation, but I don’t do it on purpose! We ended up talking for a while, and I tossed and turned.

I must’ve fell asleep at least for a little bit, because when the alarm went off at 2 am it woke me up and made me grumpy, haha. I got out of bed at 2:15, mostly because I had to pee and not because I wanted to get up, but I did anyway. We both got showers and I did the last minute packing and made sure we had everything. I gave Nemo treats, and said my goodbyes to him – I had to do it like ripping off a Band-aid or I would’ve never left him, I felt so bad! We were out the door by 4:15am, about 30 minutes behind when I would’ve liked to been leaving since we still had to stop at Sheetz & Walmart. It was really foggy out and that made me nervous.

We were at Sheetz by 4:17am – side note, for the beginning of our trip since I was the passenger and didn’t have anything to do, I was really specific on what time things happened – and got some food for the trip. DH got a large coffee, and we ordered our food – he got a ham, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich. Now before I tell you what I ordered, I have to tell you – we both normally eat really healthy, and were looking forward to letting go while on vacation and eating lots of things we normally don’t eat. What did I get? Plain oatmeal. Yep, I just couldn’t let loose yet. I didn’t even put brown sugar in it! Let’s hope that I was able to let loose a little more than that on the rest of our vacation, otherwise the food pictures could be rather boring! By 4:28 we were leaving Sheetz – even though we were the only people there, it took a while for them to make our food. For those of you not familiar with Sheetz, I feel terrible for you! Just kidding. Everything is MTO – made to order.

After we left Sheetz at 4:28 am, we jumped right on the highway to stop at Walmart. It was even foggier here than it was at our house and since we were going up the mountain I knew it was only going to get worse on the way to the airport. Now I’m a little disappointed, I think because I was nervous we left too late and had 2 stops to make, I somehow didn’t write down the exact time we arrived and left Walmart :P We got a really close parking space, and booked it into Walmart like we were on a mission. We had no idea where we were going to find it, but our first stop was in the back of the store in the electronics department. Yep, there it was – a water proof disposable camera for Sunday at Blizzard Beach. Dee had suggested one long ago and I should’ve bought one then. It wasn’t until a few days before that I knew we were actually going to the water park, and I had forgot about it until Wednesday. It was only $8.67, so I’m glad we stopped at Walmart to grab one, as they were probably about $20 at the park. On the way to the register I also grabbed a pack of napkins. That morning I realized we were out and all the picnic stuff was right in action alley so I grabbed them. My DH thought that was really random, but it wasn’t written on our shopping list and I’m sure we would’ve forgot about them, haha.

By 4:47 am we were on the highway on our way to the airport. This was our first time flying out of a small airport; normally we took a direct flight from either Pittsburgh, DC, or Baltimore straight to Orlando, which is about a 2.5 hour drive without traffic. Somehow it was actually cheaper to fly out of the small airport that was only an hour from us and it made so much more sense, I don’t know why we didn’t think of it before! By the time we were on the highway, the fog was gone which was super weird, but I was grateful. DH drank his coffee and ate his sandwich & hash brown almost right away because he was starving. I had to wait at least an hour after taking my medication since it has to be taken on an empty stomach, so I ate my oatmeal right before we got to the airport. Surprisingly there were no arguments over what we were listening to, we both have such different tastes in music this is almost always an issue when we are in the car together. The Garmin said from the start that we would arrive at our destination at 5:44am. I always like to see if we can “cheat” time, but it said that the entire way and that is exactly when we arrived and were parked in our parking spot. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to find the airport and how simple it was. Parking is free, and we had a very close spot.
    I finally took the camera out of the bag and took the first pictures of our vacation!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh my goodness my face looks terrible!

These pictures were taken from right in front of where we were parked at the airport. I couldn’t believe how close we were! After we stretched and got the bags out of the car, we made our way to the airport. We weren’t sure where we were going, but the first floor was pretty much nothing so we took the elevator to the only other level – 2. We checked in, paid our baggage fees ($50 for 2 bags, ouch – forgot to include that in the budget!) and waited for security to open. We were the first flight of the day at 6:40, and security didn’t open until 6. They searched both of our bags and it was kinda weird to see them do it. I always assumed they did it anyway, but it felt weird watching them do it. By 6:06 am, we were in line to go through security. It was weird that everyone was so nice – we were definitely in West Virginia! The lady asked if I had any liquids, and when I said no she was like “that’s right, they were all in your checked luggage!” I was like okay, privacy invasion! But she was really nice. We went through security, but it felt nothing like it does at major airports. DH was behind me, and his tiny swiss army knife that I bought him was on his keychain, and they let him take it out to the Jeep. If we were anywhere else, they would’ve tossed it. In the process of going through security, the sunglasses ($5 walmart special) that we had just bought and he had never wore, broke! There is a story about sunglasses, but since I’ve been so wordy so far, I’ll save it for later. I told DH not to worry about it, we’ll buy some in Disney World. We sat down after we all got through security and waited to board the plane. A guy came around and put tags on our carry ons, since it was a small plane they would not be with us, they would be placed on the aircraft after we boarded and we would see them again in DC.

We walked up into the plane, and before we knew it our first flight was taking off at 6:39, right on time. By 7:40 we were getting off the plane at Dulles. Things had gone so smoothly up until this point, would that continue? Stay tuned!

12. dtr_angel

I am so excited to see familiar faces from my PTR, and some new ones already too - yay! :cool1:

Yay for being first!! Thanks for joining in!!

I can't believe we were both at Jambo House at the same time. I'm enjoying your dining reviews & trip report so far!

Yay! I can't wait to read your TR!

Thanks for making it over - Welcome! :)

Yay!!!!

I'm definitely looking forward to your TR as well!

Let's hope they don't disappoint! Thanks for making it over!

13. dtr_angel

All my pictures are going to be huge, does anyone know how to easily resize them? Thanks!

14. PixieMama

PixieMama DIS Veteran

Great start to your TR! I've got my fingers crossed that the rest of your trip went as smoothly as the beginning!

(Are you using Photobucket for your pics? I know you can re-size and edit them there before you post here...)

15. dtr_angel

yes, I am using photobucket. I changed the size of the two pictures I posted before, but the pictures aren't any smaller :(

16. pinkxray

pinkxray DIS Veteran

Your face doesn't look bad in the picture but the red eyes aren't doing much for you. :rolleyes:

I think if I had to wake up at 2am I would not even bother to go to sleep. You shouldn't even be able to set your alarm for that time.

17. Lifelong_Dreamer

Under your account settings in photobucket go to album settings and then you can go to upload options and choose the size you want all your pictures to upload as, mine is set to 640x480. It saves you the trouble of having to resize them all individually. You will have to resize the ones you already uploaded though.

18. PixieMama

PixieMama DIS Veteran

They're smaller now!

I've noticed that if I change the size after I've already posted a pic here, it will take awhile for the change to appear (if that makes sense)

19. dtr_angel

Haha, I think I always have red eyes in pictures. I am seriously not photgenic at all!!! I probably would've felt better had I not fell asleep, but I probably would've drove my DH crazy since he did want to sleep LOL.

Thank you SO much! I deleted all the pictures I had uploaded so I didn't have to manually resize almost 80 pictures. Thanks again! :)

Yay! I deleted them and then reuploaded them again. If I waited, they probably would've eventually gone smaller without doing that. Oh well. I'm happy all my TR pics won't be so in your face huge now.

20. dtr_angel

When we last left off, things were going smoothly. We had a smooth first flight and landed in Dulles at 7:40am. Our next plane started to board at 7:48, only 8 minutes after our flight got into the airport. We were able to quickly figure out where we were going, but unfortunately we had to shuttle to another terminal. By the time we got to the gate, it was time to board already so we got in line. I took some magazines with me so I read them to keep me busy on our 2 hour flight, and DH was happy to do the crossword puzzle in the back of them. Our plane was schedule to land at MCO at 10:28am, but we must’ve landed early because I had texted my mom at 10:22 to tell her we were in Orlando. We made our way to the Disney’s Magical Express Welcome Center. We didn't have to wait at all, and we headed through the queue to the front of the line for a bus. I guess a bus must’ve just left, because we were the only ones in line. Nope, a CM came and told us to go ahead and directed us to a line outside that was loading into a DME bus. Score, we had just made it! Everything had happened so quickly I didn't even have time to stop and take pictures of anything. Wow, we were amazed at how smooth things were going. Yes, already I have used the word smooth three times (now that made four!)By 10:45, our bus had already left the Orlando airport and we were well on our way to the Animal Kingdom Lodge where we had no other plans but to SLEEP! Getting up at 2 am and traveling all day was exhausting. Even though we were sitting towards the back of the bus, before long I was able to take this picture…

[​IMG]

We were in Disney World! I was so tired it almost felt like a dream. I woke up in Maryland and already I was in Disney World? How did that happen! Our first stop was at CBR. I was excited because we had never been to the resort before and I wanted to see it. I could tell right away that CBR was very spread out, which I had read. It looked cute though. It only took about 5 minutes to unload and we were on our way again. I wasn’t paying attention when the driver had announced what resorts we were stopping at, I just knew we were last, or at least that is what DH said. A few minutes had passed and I didn’t recognize where we were, so I asked DH. He said we were still making our way out of CBR. Oh yeah, it is really spread out then! So another 3 minutes and we were actually leaving CBR, lol. Our next stop was our old favorite, Pop Century. It was at this point that I had a thought (which happens occasionally LOL) we stopped at a value, moderate, and a deluxe. I apparently thought it was worth writing down, but now it doesn’t seem so significant, I guess AKL, Pop, and CBR are just close :thumbsup2 I was getting bored, I was so ready to check in at AKL and sleep – DH was very content watching the Disney cartoons that were playing on the screen after the DME video ended. I had my camera out, and it was at this point that I realized that my 8gb SD card that only had 4 pictures on it (I had cleared the card before our trip) was only showing that it would hold 197 pictures. What? That has to be a mistake. Luckily I did bring an empty 1 gb card, but was that going to be enough for all the pictures we would take? Oh no!

Finally we pulled up to the AKL! There were 2 stops at AKL and honestly until about our 2nd day in Disney I didn’t know that we were staying at Jambo House. As much reading as I do on the Dis, you think I would’ve known before we got there that we were staying at Jambo LOL. As we were walking into the lobby, a CM waved and said “Welcome Home” and I panicked. I thought that we got off at the wrong AKL stop and that this was the AKV/DVC part of AKL. Oh no! The line was long for checking it, and I was afraid when we finally got up to the CM she would tell us that we were at the wrong place (spoiler alert : we were at the right place) I sent DH off with the camera to take some pictures while I waited to check in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the time he walked around the lobby & outside to take pictures, I still wasn’t even to the front of the line yet. I was so tired, what was taking so long? Maybe I should’ve done online check in! I had been requesting a king room since February, and I had read somewhere on the Dis that if you had a specific request, it was best not to check in online to make sure you got what you wanted. Well, it was finally our turn – I had waited over 30 minutes to check in. The CM told us our room wasn’t ready yet. I asked if it was a king – she informed me it was 2 queens & bunk beds. -I’ve only been requesting it nonstop for the past 3 months. I didn’t come on vacation to sleep in a queen bed and be close enough to my DH that he could breathe on me, LOL. I really wanted a king!- She kept checking but she couldn’t get any kings to pop up. Ugh. We never had this problem before. It took about 5 minutes, but she finally found one that she said would be ready soon, and it was a parking lot view. I wasn’t expecting a spectacular view since we were just booked standard so it sounded good to me, especially the being ready soon part. She didn’t tell us our room number or anything. We were super tired, but in the past by the time we got done eating lunch our room was ready so we decided to eat some lunch. I gave her my cell phone number so we could be texted when it was ready. She didn’t repeat it back to me or anything so I was nervous she got it wrong. She then gave us directions on how to get to the Mara, and we were on our way. AKL was a lot more confusing to get around than WL, that’s for sure. We took the elevator to the first floor, but all we found was Jiko and Boma. Finally a CM that was right outside Boma directed us to the Mara. We had to walk outside and past the pool to get to Mara, which I thought was weird.

We got in line to order our food. While we waited for it to be made, we grabbed our drinks & desserts. Oh how I love the DDP and being forced to eat dessert with every meal! We grabbed two bottles of water, and two orders of Zebra domes. Side note – I am allergic to chocolate, and Disney is about the only place that I eat any chocolate, so I also took a lot of medicine to keep me from getting sick! I hadn’t planned on eating the zebra domes since they contain alcohol but once they were right in front of me I changed my mind. I sent DH to grab us a table since it was busy, and I waited for my buzzer to go off to grab our food. I used our KTTW cards to pay. The CM was really nice, but accidentally charged me for 8 CS meals, so it took a while for her to fix her mistake. Then it was finally time to eat our yummy food!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DH had the African stew, and I had the chicken flat bread. DH loved the African stew. The chicken flat bread was really good, but the chicken was spicier then I would have liked. I kept checking my cell phone, but no text yet. Then I realized I didn’t have service in the Mara. Oh bother. We each only ate 2 zebra domes, which were super good btw, and put the rest into one of our carryons. We decided we could pop them in the fridge when we got to our room and have the rest later. We decided to head out of the Mara so I could find cell phone service so I could see if I missed the text that our room was ready. Since everything had gone so smooth so far, I was just convinced that our room would be ready now!

Up next: What would happen by 6pm that would have me crying and both of us wishing we never had came to Disney? Stay tuned to find out!

21. Lifelong_Dreamer

Allergic to chocolate! :scared1: Poor girl! :guilty:

I hope that you didn't have to wait too long for your room since you were so tired.