Pixie Dust Challenge Accepted: a Tale of a Fairy Odd Duck at Disneyland

Loved the updates! I'm happy you had a better time on Screamin'. Oh, and the Soarin' areas really does look cool! The Cars Land nighttime pics looked amazing!!
I also really like the shirt and bracelet you got.

Looks like a great trip. Makes me excited to run Tink someday!

I loved reading your report. Congratulations on finishing the races---that's awesome! Loved your comparisons of DL and WDW. I grew up in Southern California, so DL will always have a special place in my heart, but YEAH POTC and IASW are SO MUCH BETTER ar DL and being able to just walk up to a restaurant and BLUE BAYOU!!! :love: Southern California tends to be cloudy all through May and June. It's called the "JuneGloom"

Love me some beignets too, and FWIW, Cafe du Monde's are not so great, post Katrina. :(

I don't know if you are still wondering, but those trees are jacaranda trees. Beautiful, aren't they? :flower1:

Day 1: May 5 - From OC to OC!

It was Disneyland departure day! DH and I woke up at 2:30am Eastern in order to finish packing, load up the car, set up instructions for our cat- and bird-sitter (we had dropped off our Lab at a country kennel the night before), and be on our way to Orlando by 3:30 for the 90-minute drive. Our flight was at 7:20, but we were dropping off our Jeep at an offsite parking lot and wanted to have plenty of cushion since MCO is a huge hub. Jeep dropoff went well and the shuttle from the parking lot dropped us off at MCO, where we headed through security and it was a good thing we'd arrived so early because it was packed, even that early in the morning. We made it through security and stopped to pick up some breakfast since we had a 45-minute layover in ATL (not enough time to grab something to eat) and walked to our gate. No cool trip report photos of MCO; we didn't even have time to sit down and relax a little before getting on our plane.

Soon we boarded, and got settled in for the hourlong flight to ATL. I learned a few years ago that long flights are better for me if I wear compression socks, so for this trip, I made a special purchase of ProCompression socks nicknamed "The Gibblers." Funny side story here, Andrea Barber (Kimmy Gibbler on Full House and Fuller House) and her family visited my tiny hometown (population: 2,000) in the Midwest when I was in middle school. I'm a little older than she is and my sister is her age. My sister actually met her at our public pool and they became friends, my sister was sent Andrea's newsletter The Gibbler Gazette and Andrea always included a cute little note for my sister. She seems a very sweet person, and still remembers my sister (they are actual Facebook friends, not via a Page), so I wanted to get her compression socks, which my sister heartily approved. :) Also they are really cute and did the trick for our long flight to California.

View attachment 167725
The Gibblers in action!

In ATL, we didn't have very far to go to catch our flight out to Orange County/John Wayne Airport (since we were flying MCO to SNA, we were going from OC to OC!), and soon we were on our way west. The flight was 4 and a half hours, but we busied ourselves with the newfangled technology on board, slept, and I also read. Upon arrival, we picked up DH's checked bag (I usually try to pack light and just take a carry-on and bag) and found our Super Shuttle. The trip to our hotel was really quick and we arrived at the Hilton Anaheim shortly after noon Pacific time. Check-in wasn't until 4pm but I took a chance to see if by some stroke of luck our room was ready. No dice, so we stowed our luggage with Guest Services, and walked to the race expo to kill some time.

The race expo was held in the Grand Ballroom of the Disneyland Hotel, but bib pick-up was in the underground parking garage. Big change from Florida Disney race expos, which are held at ESPN Wide World of Sports in two buildings! So we walked down the green carpeted ramp to bib pick-up.

View attachment 167729
Walking to the expo, I spotted this gorgeous tree. These seem to be all over Anaheim and are just striking. If any west coast readers know what type of tree this is, I'd be interested! It looks like some sort of legume, but I'm not up to speed on west coast foliage.

View attachment 167730
The green carpeted ramp to bib pick-up in the underground parking garage.

View attachment 167731
The walls down the ramp were decorated with Tinker Bell and her friends, including my half marathon costume inspiration, Fawn!

Bib pick-up went smoothly as usual (thank you, volunteers!) and I also had to have my photo taken since I was participating in the Pixie Dust Challenge, which includes the 10K on Saturday and then the half marathon on Sunday. They photograph participants in order to get a positive ID after completion of the half; apparently there has been a problem with cheating in the past such as different people running each race under the same bib. It's sad that it's come to that, I certainly wouldn't want a medal I hadn't earned, but apparently some people don't care. More on that later. Receiving this bib was actually pretty exciting because I'd been seeded in Corral B (!!!) for the 10K and Corral C for the half marathon. I'll never have that sort of seeding at WDW, so I was pretty stoked about that. Of course, Disneyland races have far fewer corrals, but it was still pretty cool.

View attachment 167734
Corrals B and C!

After bib pick-up, we walked over to the Dooney & Bourke booth to look at the race weekend exclusive bags. I really liked the pattern because for me, it evoked Mary Blair's work (the artist who did the concept art for Peter Pan, Cinderella, and Alice in Wonderland, Small World, and also the giant mosaic in the Contemporary resort in Florida), but I wasn't sold on the purses. After Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend in 2015, we'd seen the race weekend Dooneys in stores afterwards, so I told myself that if they were still available at the end of the trip, I'd get one. We had 4 more full days ahead of us and plenty of opportunity to spend money! :earseek:

Then it was up to the hotel ballroom to do some shopping and pick up the race shirts. I'd pre-ordered a couple Raw Threads tanks (I'm in the Club and we'd been given a discount in April and with expo pick-up, I didn't have to pay shipping or pack them) so I needed to pick those up, I wanted to buy a Sparkle Athletic visor for my half marathon costume (I already have so many of those visors, but needed one to go with an orange costume), and of course I wanted to check out the official runDisney race merchandise, and we also needed to pick up our DL tickets from the travel agent. Luckily, DH is a patient man. Also I'd warned him beforehand. ;)

View attachment 167748
Green carpet entrance to the expo in the Disneyland Hotel's Grand Ballroom.

View attachment 167749
Another Fawn!

View attachment 167750
This is the only photo I took of the expo, but that chandelier is huge!

View attachment 167754
Race weekend shirts included with registration. Since I was running the Pixie Dust Challenge, I got 3 shirts: PDC, 10K, and half marathon. Tink is not one of my favorite characters, but for some reason, I really like her race weekend logo font. We also got a drawstring backpack.

The race merchandise preview had been posted on the Parks Blog earlier and I wasn't really struck by the design this year - I really loved the retro/classic look of last year's and so it was a teensy bit of a disappointment. BUT! That just made it easier to get in and out of the booth. There was actually a line to get in, this was around 1pm on Thursday, the first expo day. Typically, some race merchandise flies (no pun intended) off the shelf and this held true for Tink Weekend. By the time I'd arrived, the wine glasses had sold out. One less thing to buy! I ended up spending far less than I'd intended, so yay? I've been collecting race medal pins this year, and I've always gotten race weekend car magnets (except during Star Wars Dark Side, which apparently sold out in the first hour or so of that expo) and was able to get both at Tink. I moseyed on over to the I Did It! shirts and since I'm a sucker for race course maps (on the back of the shirt), I ended up buying the Pixie Dust Challenge shirt.

View attachment 167752

Then after torturing DH with commerce, we walked over to Trader Sam's to get a cocktail. As WDW AP holders, we'd been to the Florida version 3 or 4 times since it'd opened last May, but we had never been to the original in the Disneyland Hotel.

Next Up: Uh-Oa, Batten Down the Hatches!

Congradulations on your run!!! It looks like it was a balst!!!!

Loved the updates! I'm happy you had a better time on Screamin'. Oh, and the Soarin' areas really does look cool! The Cars Land nighttime pics looked amazing!!
I also really like the shirt and bracelet you got.

Looks like a great trip. Makes me excited to run Tink someday!
Thank you! Yes, it was all good stuff! Tink definitely exceeded my expectations.

I loved reading your report. Congratulations on finishing the races---that's awesome! Loved your comparisons of DL and WDW. I grew up in Southern California, so DL will always have a special place in my heart, but YEAH POTC and IASW are SO MUCH BETTER ar DL and being able to just walk up to a restaurant and BLUE BAYOU!!! :love: Southern California tends to be cloudy all through May and June. It's called the "JuneGloom"
Ah, that makes sense! Kind of like coming to FL in the summertime and experiencing the subtropical afternoon thunderstorms. I'm coming back in January for Star Wars, so I'm looking forward to that. And thanks for the congrats! :)
Love me some beignets too, and FWIW, Cafe du Monde's are not so great, post Katrina. :(

I don't know if you are still wondering, but those trees are jacaranda trees. Beautiful, aren't they? :flower1:
Good to know about Cafe du Monde, but very sad, too. :( And THANK YOU about the jacaranda trees! It turns out that we have quite a few of them here in FL, too, I've started noticing them, but I think they're far more striking in Cali because they're planted in greater amounts. They are gorgeous, not unlike our poinciana trees, which have red or yellow flowers.

Congradulations on your run!!! It looks like it was a balst!!!!

Thank you! It was! :)

I HATE to run--seriously. I've always played sports, been athletic, but I hate running. This is me on the track: :snail: (With apologies to snails.)
More like :crutches:+ :snail: It's always the worst part of any training regimen. (So of course I admire you all the more for it.) Because to do it more or less voluntarily--without a coach or trainer threatening me---is practically unthinkable. I had a coach that attempted to shame my running style. He said, "YOU RUN LIKE YOU HAVE A BARREL ON YOUR BACK!" And I replied, "Well, YEAH! What's your point? You mean I DON'T have a barrel on my actual back? ??!!" This was news to me.

Do you know that it's possible to spend 10 minutes getting a pebble out of your shoe during the running part of conditioning? :smokin:

But I'm thinking it might be worth it to have an "excuse" to go to Disney more! :crazy:

:idea:

Naw.....

So ... I've actually never done Soarin' Over California in California (we've done it in Epcot). I don't know why, we just never had any interest in doing it. I'm kinda sad that I'm going to miss it, but hopefully the new video will still be great. And I don't think the queue will change, so hopefully I'll get to see that.

I'm glad you gave California Screamin' a second try and loved it! That's actually my favorite ride ... and a decent part of why I love Paradise Pier so much.

My first trip to Cars Land was actually around sunset ... so we saw the transition from daytime to nighttime. Cars Land really looks so amazing at night, with all of the neon ... it's such a different experience.

I love all of the medal pictures! I have to say, I really don't love the design of the Pixie Dust medal, but seeing it in pictures with stuff, it's kinda growing on me. I guess I just don't like it against a boring background.

Going home is always sad (especially early in the morning), but it sounds like you had a great trip!

I HATE to run--seriously. I've always played sports, been athletic, but I hate running. This is me on the track: :snail: (With apologies to snails.)

Haha! Yeah, I don't think many people start out loving the running, but it does grow on you. And Disney races sure help! As for the snail thing - and I am not fast at all - I've found it helps to not worry about how fast I'm going. I'm not going to win any awards so why that added pressure? As long as I finish within the time limits, who cares? At some point, I will probably start working on my speed again, but there is enough stress in life to beat myself up over something I do for fun! :)

More like :crutches:+ :snail: It's always the worst part of any training regimen. (So of course I admire you all the more for it.) Because to do it more or less voluntarily--without a coach or trainer threatening me---is practically unthinkable. I had a coach that attempted to shame my running style. He said, "YOU RUN LIKE YOU HAVE A BARREL ON YOUR BACK!" And I replied, "Well, YEAH! What's your point? You mean I DON'T have a barrel on my actual back? ??!!" This was news to me.
:rotfl2:

Do you know that it's possible to spend 10 minutes getting a pebble out of your shoe during the running part of conditioning? :smokin:

But I'm thinking it might be worth it to have an "excuse" to go to Disney more! :crazy:

:idea:

Naw.....
IMHO, it is totally worth it! But DH and I daytripped it to Epcot yesterday and I got that urge to be staying on property (mostly so we wouldn't have to drive home ;)), and I said to him that one of these times we should really spend a weekend there that isn't race-related! :)

So ... I've actually never done Soarin' Over California in California (we've done it in Epcot). I don't know why, we just never had any interest in doing it. I'm kinda sad that I'm going to miss it, but hopefully the new video will still be great. And I don't think the queue will change, so hopefully I'll get to see that.
I loved everything about Soarin' Over California: the ride and movie, the Jerry Goldsmith score, the smells. DH and I went to Epcot yesterday specifically because I'd scored Soarin' Around the World FPs, and I'll admit I was skeptical because I was stuck in that "this was my favorite ride, harrumph" mindset, but it was amazing!!

I'm glad you gave California Screamin' a second try and loved it! That's actually my favorite ride ... and a decent part of why I love Paradise Pier so much.
Me, too! Loved it this second trip. And it really does add to the overall ambiance of Paradise Pier...along with that wheel of death. ;)

My first trip to Cars Land was actually around sunset ... so we saw the transition from daytime to nighttime. Cars Land really looks so amazing at night, with all of the neon ... it's such a different experience.
Nice! It's magnificent in the daytime, but at night is just breathtaking!

I love all of the medal pictures! I have to say, I really don't love the design of the Pixie Dust medal, but seeing it in pictures with stuff, it's kinda growing on me. I guess I just don't like it against a boring background.
Thanks - it definitely grew on me, and I think photos don't really do it justice. And now that I'm home and it's hanging with all my other medals, it really isn't much bigger than the other rD medals. It's the same size as Star Wars DS Half, maybe it's because there is no cutout and it's a solid design that makes it look so honking big. And it is different from a lot of the other medals in design, so I like it for that reason, too. :)

Going home is always sad (especially early in the morning), but it sounds like you had a great trip!
It was, but stay tuned because we arrived home on Tuesday, went back to work the rest of the week, and then we daytripped it to WDW that Saturday! Coast to Coast within a week! :)

Mimsy, sometimes the quick weekend get-aways close to home can be extremely relaxing and beneficial. Definitely try it, if you can! It's great to have a little space to look forward to with DH without it being a whole THING, if you know what I mean. These were especially helpful for DH and I when there was a lot of work and/or family pressure.

My DH has said so many times to "Never stop dating your spouse" when he is asked to give advice to young marrieds. Sorry, I know this is a little :offtopic:

I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR YOU LOVED SOARIN! :flower1: and :flower:and :sunny:. I am from California, I grew up there, and I miss it (not the taxes , politics, or crowds, but the weather and sights and the OCEAN!! and the MOUNTAINS!!!) so I was pretty much in mourning over them dumping the show, so I'm so glad to hear you love it!

Bonus WDW Day! May 14 - The Adventure(Land) Continues!

Long before we'd even traveled to California, I'd booked FPs for Saturday after our trip at Magic Kingdom. Why? Well, I figured that DL's Pixie Hollow might be a little congested during and after the race weekend, so I FPed a visit with Ms. Bell at Town Square in Magic Kingdom for some medal shots! So DH and I headed out early that Saturday morning to travel up Florida's Turnpike, to Osceola Parkway and to WDW.

IMG_4334.jpg
Walt Disney World: Where Dreams Come True
(except if your dream is to pull over to the side of the road here for photo ops! :rotfl:

Upon arrival at MK, it was already very warm; summer has arrived in Florida with a vengeance. My FP with Tink wasn't until late morning, so I didn't want to do a lot of stuff that would cause me to sweat or become more unsightly than necessary. DH actually had an excellent plan of cooling off in the Enchanted Tiki Room. We didn't make it there in DL this time, so this was sort of a make up opportunity. Also, there wasn't much of a wait, and have I mentioned it's air-conditioned? It's also one of my favorite attractions: Polynesia, flowers, birds, tiki gods, it's all good!

IMG_4343.jpg
Let's all sing like the birdies sing: tweet, tweet tweet, tweet tweet! :music:

IMG_4353.jpg
The Enchanted Tiki Room is never crowded. And if it is - you're there at the wrong time of year, my friend!

Ah, so cute and sweet and a nice respite from the heat. But then it was on to our first FP of the day: Jungle Cruise!
IMG_4354.jpg

Where we once again braved the perilous rivers of the world to see Schweizer Falls, named for the famous Dr. Albert Falls:
IMG_4356.jpg

As well as various animals, ancient ruins, and the Eighth Wonder of the World...
IMG_4362.jpg
...the backside of water!

IMG_4371.jpg
And East Coast Trader Sam - he will sell you two of his heads for one of yours!

After our lovely travels throughout the rivers of the world, we still had some time to kill so we decided to head over to our old standby for killing time: the People Mover!

IMG_4384.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg
People Mover selfie.

We love that ride for the relaxation, the cooling off (via the wind it generates going around corners and going through air-conditioned buildings), and it takes you out of the hustle and bustle of the parks for a little while. Sometimes it ends too soon for me.

But having filled up sufficient time, we had an appointment to keep with a certain fairy in Town Square, so we headed back towards Main Street, USA, avoiding the morning parade (how we always manage to run into the parade when we're leaving - but have never actually watched it - I'll never know. But it's every. time.), and finally arriving at our destination.

Next Up: A Fairy Garden Party

Last edited:
Bonus WDW Day! May 14 - A Fairy Garden Party

We arrived at Town Square for our appointment with Tink, and wound our way through the FP queue to where we would be shrunk down to Tink's size in order to meet her. For the occasion, I was wearing my I Did It! Pixie Dust Challenge shirt and had my hair in a Tinker Bell-esque bun. I'd also brought my Tinker Bell Half medal along for the ride. The CM sprinkled us with fiber optic pixie dust, we were shrunk and then led to Tink's meet and greet.

The CM handler here was great - if you were a little kid - but she kept asking me questions in a really high-pitched voice (I don't think it was her normal voice) like was my Tinker bun secure, did it take a long time to do, did I run the race fairy fast? It was cute and all but since I've said here a zillion times that Tink is not my favorite character, the questions started to grate on me; I basically just came for the photo op. Grumble, grumble.

Anyway! Soon it was my turn with Tink and she admired the half marathon medal, telling me that it was a good thing that I'd been shrunk down to her size because she was normally the size of the spinner Tink on the medal. I got my photo ops, I packed up the medal in my purse (no, I did not go around wearing a California-based medal in the Florida parks!), and we were on our way to our next adventure in Epcot: Flower and Garden Fest!

IMG_4397.jpg

We love the various festivals in the parks, because they help to shake up things a bit and Disney always does a great job with the decorations and ambiance. International Food & Wine Fest used to be our favorite since we'd started going the second year it was in existence - back in the days when you could buy wine for $1-3 and food for around $3, too. Sigh. However, it seems as if Food & Wine Fest is quickly becoming Drunk & Disorderly Fest, which is a huge turnoff. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy adult beverages like everyone else, but it's called moderation, folks. The groups of people with matching t-shirts stumbling around, checking off countries on their shirts, and generally just being disruptive can quickly ruin your good time. There's sampling food and wine around the world, and then there's downing anything you happen across. We used to think that the shirts were cute (DH even has a Disney t-shirt with samplings from each country on the front), but the people who act like Epcot is your local pub crawl can get a little or a lot annoying. Sorry if I sound like a stick in the mud.

At any rate, Flower and Garden Fest is quickly becoming our favorite festival because of all the gorgeous flowers, plants, and topiaries, and it has the food/drink kiosks much like F&W Fest, but has not yet gained the attention of those who would engage in the above behavior. Yes, apparently I've gotten old. Get off my lawn. ;)

IMG_4398.jpg
Taken from our monorail ride in - isn't this just gorgeous? I love this time of year.

IMG_4401.jpg
And a nice monorail shot on a particularly beautiful (yet hot) day.

We were soon wandering around the World Showcase, mostly because Norwegian Constitution Day (Syttende Mai) was coming up and I wanted to purchase a bottle of aquavit, which is sort of the national liquor. It's pretty foul stuff (better when chilled), but it's a tradition in my family for Syttende Mai and Christmas, mostly because my dad (100% Norwegian) discovered it during a tour of Norway and visiting our family over there. And the story about it is interesting: the liquor is stored in casks that are loaded on to a ship that travels south of the equator and back to Norway. It's not a true aquavit unless it's made that trip. We needed to purchase it early in the day because it would have to be delivered to the front gate for later pick up and that can take up to 3 hours.

And while we were in Norway, we checked out the construction walls for the new Anna/Elsa meet & greet (sidebar: we actually met them this past Saturday, 5-minute wait!) and Frozen Ever After (also rode it, standby line said 45-minute wait, we waited 15). I really liked the designs on the wall, so I took some photos. The style reminded me of Mary Blair and also the rosemaling art that is scattered around my grandparents' house.

IMG_4405.jpg .

IMG_4407.jpg

We were very fortunate that Epcot was not crowded at all this day, which we LOVE, so it was nice to just wander around with no crowds and sample various cuisine/drinks whenever we felt like it throughout the day. It was a very relaxing and fun park day and I don't think we even went on any attractions at Epcot!

IMG_4411.jpg
France during the street performance - usually this area is packed when that happens!

Next Up: #allthefood

Bonus WDW Day! May 14 - #allthefood

So as I mentioned above, we wandered around the World Showcase, sampling food at various kiosks. Our strategy, in order for both of us to enjoy as much as possible, was to split everything we ordered just so each of us could try it without getting stuffed right away. We spent probably 3 hours doing this, and it was so much fun, reminiscent of our early days at F&W Fest.

IMG_4408.jpg
Germany: Bratwurst with a curry ketchup and paprika chips. This sounded a bit odd, but it was delicious! And I was happy to see paprika chips because I loved them when I lived in Germany. Paprika is a very popular spice there.

IMG_4409.jpg
USA: Beer flight and pulled pork sandwich. The beer flight was great, though that maple bacon stout could probably be poured over a waffle. The sandwich was excellent, you had a choice of three sauces and we chose Carolina BBQ (mustard-based), there was also coleslaw on the sandwich. We cut it in half, and each of us would take a few sips of each beer and that worked out really well.

IMG_4410.jpg
At left: Florida Market, shrimp and grits. DH ate most of this because I only eat grits very sparingly.

At right: Morocco, falafel sandwich. It was good, but the tzatziki sauce was only at the very top, so it got very dry as you progressed downwards.

IMG_4412.jpg
France: Specialty slush drink called La Vie En Rose. It was really good, and not too sweet! And you can see that it's still not crowded.

IMG_4413.jpg
UK: This corned beef and cabbage was all DH's. Yuck. But he said it was really good.

IMG_4414.jpg
And finally some Caribbean cuisine: a spicy beef (DH's) with black beans and rice, and Jamaican jerk mahi with mango salsa. That was very tasty!

IMG_4415.jpg
Score! Aquavit picked up at Guest Services on our way out. We keep it in the freezer.

So that was our bonus WDW Tink-related day, and that was a lot of fun to visit both coasts' parks within a few days of each other. I'm probably going to have one more main post about the Tinker Bell Half Weekend, just last thoughts and impressions. If you've been following along, thanks for doing so and extra thanks for those who take the time to comment!

Lastly: Final Thoughts

Mimsy, sometimes the quick weekend get-aways close to home can be extremely relaxing and beneficial. Definitely try it, if you can! It's great to have a little space to look forward to with DH without it being a whole THING, if you know what I mean. These were especially helpful for DH and I when there was a lot of work and/or family pressure.
No doubt! Even our little day trips end up helping quite a lot. And I totally get what you mean about going without it being a thing that whole weekend. We need to do it, the problem is that I was a little overzealous in signing up for races this year: I'm doing the W&D challenge in November, the WDW half in January, and then also signed up for the Rebel Challenge (I need that Kessel Run bling!!) also in January. I also just quit my job this past Friday, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I know I'm going to be way less stressed out and have more time to myself.

My DH has said so many times to "Never stop dating your spouse" when he is asked to give advice to young marrieds. Sorry, I know this is a little :offtopic:
This is very good advice! We have been married for 19 years, but this is good advice for any length of marriage!

I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR YOU LOVED SOARIN! :flower1: and :flower:and :sunny:. I am from California, I grew up there, and I miss it (not the taxes , politics, or crowds, but the weather and sights and the OCEAN!! and the MOUNTAINS!!!) so I was pretty much in mourning over them dumping the show, so I'm so glad to hear you love it!
OK, so I LOVED Soarin' and was SO sad when they took it out of Epcot before Marathon Weekend this year, but being able to do it again one last time in Cali during Tink weekend was just wonderful. And the new one is fantastic! Different, but fantastic. Though I secretly wish that they'd bring back the California version for special occasions from time to time.

Thanks for following along! :)

You quit your job? Are you nervous and/or excited about the changes that will bring? I'm lucky in that I have a job I love so much I would do it even if I was a billionaire, but it can also be very, very high stress and has its share of frustrations which I could definitely do without! (Dang people! They ruin everything!):lmao:

That's quite a few runs--but it is so good to pursue something you enjoy.

On my bucket list is the flower show at WDW. That's a busy time of year for me, so not sure how I will manage, but I really want to try. So (I know this is a "duh" question) were there food booths set up when you were there? That yummy food was from the booths, or were you able to get that from the countries?

When I first read your post about the Aquavit, I thought you wrote "Norway CONSTRUCTION Day" lol---well, it is under construction over there...maybe they made a whole holiday out of it...:blush: Blonde moment. Yeah.

Thanks for posting this TR!

I love the bonus! That was really smart to wait to take your medal pic with Tink! I enjoyed meeting her in February- though my 7 year old did not. He was trying to hide from her, and Tink literally chased him around the area. It was pretty funny, and made me like the character a bit more :)

Oh and the food looks so yummy! Lunch time for me! :)

I love the picture with Tink!

We did a few trips during F&W back in the day (aka 2013 & 2014), and we didn't see Drunk & Disorderly ... but I don't know if that's because we were there during the week or if it has just gotten worse the past few years. I really hate that this is happening, because it has the potential to be such a great experience and great environment ... but public drunkenness is really never a good thing. I really don't understand people.

Sounds like you had a good time at Epcot! I love those moments when the park is relatively empty and you can just wander around without other people getting in your way ... it's such a nice change of pace. (Unfortunately, I rarely get the chance to do that because I usually have such limited time in Florida :( ... so I guess these days are one of the big perks of living close enough to take occasional day trips)

I just read through your TR - my mom and I are planning on doing the 2017 PDC (we're also doing GDC in 2017 - so we'll get our C2C medal too) I've only been to WDW, so I'm excited to visit Walt's Park.

I'm an Instagram junkie too - so I've followed you, I'm argyle24

You quit your job? Are you nervous and/or excited about the changes that will bring? I'm lucky in that I have a job I love so much I would do it even if I was a billionaire, but it can also be very, very high stress and has its share of frustrations which I could definitely do without! (Dang people! They ruin everything!):lmao:

I'm very nervous and very excited! I like what I do for a living, but I work in a very sexist industry and after a decade of being treated like I was dumber than men with less experience/education, I guess I got tired of it. It's a longer story than that (it always is), but that'll suffice for now. In the meantime, I've started my own company with a partner, I'm flat broke (I used to make a lot more than DH), but I'm happy and excited to see where this new adventure takes me. I'm strangely Zen about the money, though, which is very odd since I'm the budgeter and bill-payer. :confused3

That's quite a few runs--but it is so good to pursue something you enjoy.
I used to only do one rD event each year...until last year when I did 2 and got my C2C, then this year started with Dopey and I just couldn't stop for some reason. I love it, though. I ran a half marathon last month in my homestate and it was just awful, terrible. It made me realize how well rD races are run by comparison and even local races here in Florida. Perspective! :)

On my bucket list is the flower show at WDW. That's a busy time of year for me, so not sure how I will manage, but I really want to try. So (I know this is a "duh" question) were there food booths set up when you were there? That yummy food was from the booths, or were you able to get that from the countries?
Yep! Food booths set up just like Food & Wine Fest, though not as many. They've been slowly rolling them out and increasing the booths over the (I'd say) last 3 or 4 years and it's wonderful.

When I first read your post about the Aquavit, I thought you wrote "Norway CONSTRUCTION Day" lol---well, it is under construction over there...maybe they made a whole holiday out of it...:blush: Blonde moment. Yeah.

Thanks for posting this TR!
Ha! And you are very welcome, thanks for reading!

I love the bonus! That was really smart to wait to take your medal pic with Tink! I enjoyed meeting her in February- though my 7 year old did not. He was trying to hide from her, and Tink literally chased him around the area. It was pretty funny, and made me like the character a bit more :)

Oh and the food looks so yummy! Lunch time for me! :)
Thank you! Too funny that Tink chased your son around, maybe she thought he was Peter Pan! ;)

I love the picture with Tink!

We did a few trips during F&W back in the day (aka 2013 & 2014), and we didn't see Drunk & Disorderly ... but I don't know if that's because we were there during the week or if it has just gotten worse the past few years. I really hate that this is happening, because it has the potential to be such a great experience and great environment ... but public drunkenness is really never a good thing. I really don't understand people.
It's definitely more likely during the weekend - that's usually when we daytrip it there or stay for a weekend during F&W. I'm glad you didn't witness it; sometimes I get embarrassed for people on their behalf. And don't get me wrong, we imbibe and have fun. But we pace ourselves throughout the day, drink lots of water, too, and also sample the food.

Sounds like you had a good time at Epcot! I love those moments when the park is relatively empty and you can just wander around without other people getting in your way ... it's such a nice change of pace. (Unfortunately, I rarely get the chance to do that because I usually have such limited time in Florida :( ... so I guess these days are one of the big perks of living close enough to take occasional day trips)
Absolutely a perk! I get people asking me for Disney tips all the time, and I always have to ask them to give me more specific questions because our objectives are different than the average person going to Disney. We love the freedom to just go to the parks on a random Saturday. Which I wish we could've done this weekend, but waiting until this new job actually pays! :)

Great picture with Tink!

I have never done one of the festivals at Epcot but hopefully some day.
Thank you! The festivals at Epcot are among my favorite times of year! :)

I just read through your TR - my mom and I are planning on doing the 2017 PDC (we're also doing GDC in 2017 - so we'll get our C2C medal too) I've only been to WDW, so I'm excited to visit Walt's Park.

I'm an Instagram junkie too - so I've followed you, I'm argyle24
Awesome! I've followed you back, too. :) Sounds like you have a nice pink C2C planned - have an absolute blast!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter