Pixar Cruises

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by BAT, Sep 13, 2012.

1. cyclenut

cyclenut DIS Veteran

On the repo with you. Loved the location of the ship in San Fran. Right between the Alcatraz pier and Pier 39. We walked all the way over to Ghiradelli, which really isn't too far if you are not in a hurry.

I highly recommend the Disney Family museum. It is really much better than I imagined it might be. Lots of multi media experiences, great history very well done. This is a museum though so if your young children are bored with a museum, they won't be happy here either, but it really is very cool. You should allow two hours.

I really liked that you could stand under the bow of the ship at the pier. Totally cool!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. janicebadgett

janicebadgett Earning My Ears

Cycle nut...what kind of transportation did you use to get to and from the museum? We want to visit there too!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

4. minniemoms

minniemoms There's no place like Disney

Going on this cruise too.. Wanting to learn more too

5. cyclenut

cyclenut DIS Veteran

We were lucky enough to catch a private tour set up by micechat.

6. Disneyland Mommy

Disneyland Mommy Where's Perry?

Just off the Wonder this morning, and had a great trip!

I assume most of you want to know what's what, but if you don't then don't read this!

As you already know, we pull into San Francisco early in the AM, so plan on waking up early if you want to see the ship pass under the GG bridge. I didn't wake up early enough,lol. Luckily, we pass under the GG in the evening, right after Finding Nemo 3D lets out. I didn't go up to deck 9 or 10. I went out to deck 4, since it's right by the Walt Disney Theater. Make sure you bring your coats! It was VERY chilly!

There is a Toy Story themed dinner, complete with 3D glasses(the menus are in 3D.) However, that's where the fun stopped, at least for us :sad: Our servers(and I assume all the servers) were telling everyone, that there was going to be some "surprises" during dinner, aka a special guest or 2. We normally take out kids to the club/lab before our entree, but because of the "surprise" we kept them there to the end of the meal, which was not an easy feat(They're 4 & 6!) Anyway, no one showed up at all!! My kids were soooooo bummed! I complained to guest services, so hopefully those of you on the upcoming cruises will get the "special guests!"

Pixar Characters:

In the Terminal: Cars...Lightening McQueen, Mater, and Finn Mcmissile, No other characters at the terminal.

On the Ship:

Doug, Carl, and Russel
    Remy & Emile
    Woody & Jessie, Buzz
    Mr. Incredible, Mrs. Incredible, Frozone
    Flik & Atta

The print that we get as our special gift is really nice, and a good size :)

Castaway Club Members/Disney Visa, not sure if you have to be both or only one, get a thick "The Art of Pixar" Book, which they were able to get signed by the man that did the "Cars" presentation. I only saw people walking around with them, since this was my first cruise, and didn't book with Disney Visa, although I am a cardholder. Nice added bonus for those of you that do get them!

Wonderful "Art of Pixar" exhibit on deck 5 forward, midship and aft! Take the time to look at them all!

HOT in San Diego and Mexico, cool in San Francisco(where layers there!)

Food and service was very good in my opinion, being a first time cruiser. Yes, there were some bland or salty dishes. However, nothing bad enough to send back or request a different item.

Not sure what else. Ask questions if you have any :)

7. wenuwish

wenuwish Dreamer of Dreams

Welcome back! Glad to hear that you had a great time! I'm going in 1 week and can't wait!

I have one quick question, which I think I know the answer to, but I just want to be sure... Was there much scheduled on board while you we're in San Francisco? I assume talks with the Pixar guys were done while you were at sea? We're thinking about leaving the ship for a little but I don't want to miss anything! Thanks!

8. theggs4ever

theggs4ever Mouseketeer

Sounds like you had a great time. Thank you for the info. i have some questions. Were Mickey and Minnie on board also? What kind of transportation did people use in SF? Was there a Pixar Dance Party like it stated in the Disney info? Was there Tea With Alice or someone else? Thanks for your time.

9. BAT

BAT Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for sharing!! It sounds like you had a great time. I am blanking out on the questions I had.

It is great to know which characters. Was Finding Nemo a main show for that night?

Character breakfast? I am assuming there was one, which days were they?

10. Luliemouse

Luliemouse Avengers Assemble!

Can't wait to hear more from other Pixar cruisers. :rolleyes1

11. Disneyland Mommy

You definitely won't miss anything if you get off in San Francisco. There are character greetings in the AM from 9-10, but then none until around 5pm the first day and 3:45pm the second day . Brave & Cars 2 played in 3D at 2 pm. There were things like Disney Charades, wii challenge, crafts, karaoke,etc. But, nothing "important." Special presenters are on sea days.

Yes, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Stitch, Captain Hook, Smee, Jack Sparrow, Pluto, Goofy, Chip & Dale, Ariel, Snow White, Tiana, Belle,etc.

The Disney "tea" was with Ariel and Belle.

There was no "Pixar" Dance party that I'm aware of. There was a character dance party with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Chip/Dale, Pluto, Goofy. That's not to be missed if you have little ones. Definitely a highlight for me/them.

Not, sure what you plan on doing in SF, but I walked to both of my excursions. We did "Ride the Ducks" and a segway tour. We're docked within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Ghiradelli Square. If you turn right after exiting the terminal, and make a slight left on Beach St., there is a beautiful park and pier, with amazing views of the GG bridge and Alcatraz.

Yes, there was a regular character breakfast, no pixar. We had ours on Sat., but it depended on your dining rotation. They were M/TH/Sat.

ETA: Pixar Characters do not make it into the kids clubs at all. My DD did Ratatouille Cooking School, but there was no Remy or anything :-(

12. Mistletoe Ranch Kids

Mistletoe Ranch Kids Earning My Ears

Hi there, sounds like everyone had fun....I was wondering what night they did fireworks pirate night? Thanks

13. taaren

taaren "There is more treasure in books than in all the p

Sounds like you get a great time! I'm excited about the Art of Pixar book and the talks! (Especially since the Oct 7 one I'm on is a lighting designer and I'm a lighting junkie.) :woohoo:

14. Disneyland Mommy

Yep, there are fireworks...Shows are as follows....

Let the Magic Begin
    Golden Mickeys
    Alfred and Seymour
    Finding Nemo 3D
    Toy Story Musical
    Michael Harrison, then pirate party later
    Dreams

15. cupcakefairy2u

cupcakefairy2u Its just me the cupcake fairy

thanks for the update. I am sailing the Magic in Feb but we have family in Cali and they have invited us to do the Pixar cruise with them also .

16. wenuwish

wenuwish Dreamer of Dreams

@Disneyland Mommy: Awesome! Thanks! I thought that might be the case, but its nice to know for sure! :)

17. jlmarr

jlmarr See you at Fenton's

We used the F Trolley to get to Market St, and from there took BART or the Muni light rail depending on destination. The F Trolley runs right past Pier 35, and consists of old trolley cars from other cities, including the Pacific Electric "Red Car" from LA (now represented on Buena Vista Street in DCA). The F Trolley is part of the Muni system so costs $2 with transfers within 90 minutes included. No change given. It's very crowded so you might need to stand. We've heard of pickpockets in the tourist areas including crowded buses so you'd be advised to keep your wallet in your front pocket or your purses zipped.

To take the cable car take the F Trolley to Powell and Market, or walk to Beach and Hyde on the other end of Fisherman's Wharf. That gets you to one end or the other of my favorite cable car line. There are two others, left as an exercise for the reader. ;) A cable car ride is $6. A one-day Muni pass costs $14 and includes cable cars, trolleys, light rail and buses, but not BART.

I went to a San Francisco Giants baseball game on Tuesday, taking the F Trolley and Muni light rail (which shares the Embarcadero BART station).

On Wednesday, DW and I took the F Trolley, BART, and AC Transit in Oakland to Fenton's Creamery in Oakland. Fenton's is the ice cream place mentioned in UP. It's a real life shop that is a favorite of the Pixar animators so they worked it into the movie. We loved it, but transportation was a hassle.

18. homeboycartel

homeboycartel Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info!

19. Meganyvemarie

Meganyvemarie Mouseketeer

Welcome back! Thanks for all the info! I assume the toy story menu is on the same night as the toy story show? What menu did you guys end up missing because of the new menu? In January we had the pirate, golden mickeys, till we meet again, captains gala, Tritons, animators palette and parrot cay menus :D

20. Disneyland Mommy

Toy Story night was on Semi-formal night,so would that be Captain's Gala that we missed? Maybe an experienced cruiser can answer this? I only took pics of the themed menu. I can post a pic if it's decent. Let me take a look :)
    Yes, it's the same day at the Toy Story show.
    Want to see the Cars pics? Don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to be surprised!

21. Disneyland Mommy