Pittsburgh is Loosing "US Airways Hub" Status!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by CaliforniaDreaming, May 6, 2004.

1. CaliforniaDreaming

CaliforniaDreaming #1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Nick@ VB+OKW

Nick@ VB+OKW Registered

4. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that. As a former PIT resident I know how important USAirways is to PIT.

The airline is having problems and hopefully other airlines will decide to start flying from PIT.

5. NotUrsula

NotUrsula DIS Veteran

You have my sympathy. It happened here at STL last November when AA did the same thing, and the airport is a ghost town. They have completely closed one concourse, and the others are not at all what they used to be.

SWA had expressed interest in greatly expanding their presence here (already considerable, BTW) but they feel that the gate fees are too high right now; they will only expand if the city gives them a break on the gates, and so far that isn't happening.

6. CarolA

CarolA <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

Things can change.

Nashville went thur the same thing when AA pulled out. SW has now taken over almost all the gates. (Although the hold up in our case was actually AA not the city. AA owned the gate leases and did NOT want to give them up to SW or use them!)

I think things are much better here. SW just runs a much better operation then AA did at this airport. Now.... AA is a fine airline and my bias may be becuase near the end the employees seemed to get an attitude "if we are going to lose our job, we are going to make you miserable" LOL!

7. marymrg

marymrg DIS Veteran

When we lived in Pittsburgh, we were friends with a pilot and his family. That will be another blow to the city.