Pirates of Nassau?

lenshanem

DIS Veteran
None of the excursions for Nassau are really hitting my interest. I was thinking we might stay onboard that day since we're only doing the three night Wonder and it is our first cruise. I have never been to Nassau and I hate not to get off the boat for a least an hour or so. I was thinking about maybe just going to the Pirates of Nassau museum. But I'm a little freaked about walking around Nassau.

Is this a quick and easy walk? (My DD7 and DD4 will be with us.)

Is it a decent museum? Or tacky and not worth the time and money? (We're Disney spoiled.) I'm surprised Passporter doesn't mention it except for on the map.

Good for the kids?

Thanks for any advice!

It wasn't a bad walk. Ten minutes if I recall correctly. It was very well done, much better than I was expecting.

We were just there on Friday and I agree - it was well done and interesting; definitely worth the $12 per adult (they didn't charge for my kids, 3 & 4 yo). There's a pirate pub where you can relax and grab a beer/bite (they have conch fritters!).

I wouldn't worry about walking around Nassau at all. You do "run the gauntlet" at first as you walk through the market and taxi area, but after that, no pressure. We found it to be a bustling city with a lot of well-dressed business people on the go. On an interestingly note, we happened upon the end of a funeral ceremony at the Anglican church across the street from the Pirate Museum. It must have been the funeral of a dignitary because there was a formal uniformed procession (looked like their police force) with reporters on the scene. We stopped and watched the procession until they passed. My plan now is to google around to see if I can find out more about the person for whom this ceremony was for.

One note of caution - my kids were a bit scared during our tour of the museum; the first part is a bit dark and scary. We did continue through, and they were okay, but I just wanted to give you the heads-up since you also have a 4-year-old.

Pirates museum is definately worth seeing.
It is a big purple building, it's located 2 blocks behind the straw market.
Straw market is easy to find. Once you leave th eship you walk across the dock area and you have to exit through a building, you must fo through it to get back to the ship also. Once you get to the other side, street vendors will approach you, just say NO and walk on to your right, downn to the waterfront where there is a large sidewalk with many small excursion boats moored there. The srraw market is down 2 or 3 blocks, almost to the end of the street on the left. You cant miss it. It is white canvas sides that roll up, kind of like a circus tent use to be. Just go through it anf on the back side walk up 2 blocks. You cant miss the big purple building. There is iusually a pirate there to greet you. As mentioned above, it is dark for the first couple of minutes as you walk down a waterfront street setting, but after that you step onto a replica of a pirate ship and it's well lit from then on.
mom x4,grandma x4

I don't know if it is different now, but "back in the day" when the Magic was her only lonely self and going on 3-4 days to Naussau, the port allowed certain approved taxis to actually come quite close to the ship to pick folks up on the pier.

We lucked into a charming man with a beautiful mini-van who took us all around the town, voer to Atlantis for a quick peek (back before they chargd for even coming in to see the aquarium) and to the pirate museum. He took us back to the ship where we arranged for him to return to get us after dinner and return to Atlantis for a few hours of gambling. It was wonderful and safe since he had had to prove himself as acceptable to be approved.

We found this "approved" taxi system in Jamaica and several other ports, and it was nice to get into what the ships considered safe taxis.

So you might be able to grab a taxi at the pier and by-pass the street vendors and such.

lenshanem said:
I think this is a go! Thanks for the help! :goodvibes

Looks like you've already decided, but I wanted to chime in with thumbs up as well. We went with DD2 & DD5 (at the time) and they both loved the Pirate Museum. It was a lot higher quality than I was expecting, most especially being "spoiled" by Disney. I love the Pirate on the Beach picture thingie they have. Hopefully someone else who's been will know what I mean. :)

michelle9343 said:
Does anyone know if it is wheelchair accessible?

It's been 2 1/2 years since I went, but I seem to remember ramps instead of stairs. I could easily be mis-remembering however. Here's the web address, which doesn't specifically say, but there is contact info if you'd like to write them and find out. :)

Pirates-of-Nassau

holcomb-mania said:
About how long does a tour of the museum take? Two hours or so?

Not that long - we walked through in about 30 minutes, stopping to read, etc. We stayed about two hours if you count time spent in the pirate pub tho
pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter