Pictures from My "Cars" Birthday Party

Discussion in 'Creative DISigns' started by jtanddolly, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

I just finished with my now 4 year olds "Cars" Birthday Party and I thought I would show some pictures to my DISfriends of some things I made. Most everything is in my 4shared file in the "parties" file and the "Cars" subfile if you would like to throw a "Cars" party of your own. Or even have a fun "Cars" dinner with just your kids.

The good news is that a new "Cars" movie is supposed to come out next year...so if you have a child that loves Cars, then there should be a lot of thing available if you want to have a party.

Save the Date:
    Knowing that kids love to get mail, I sent a Radiator Springs postcard from LM (that is Lightning McQueen for those of you that aren't familiar with the Cars movie) and Tow Mater.

[​IMG]

I made these at home and printed on white cardstock so that they would be thick enough to make it in the mail. I know the backside looks smudged but I purposely designed it that way so that it looks like an old postcard...or at least like it has traveled across country. I loved the racing stamp image that I found online so I actually dropped them off in each child's mailbox myself.

Invitation:
    I looked online and found several invites that I liked so I combined them to come up with my very own invitation, and since I was having a "cars" theme party with a race track...I just had to send a ticket as well.

[​IMG]

I was planning on making the invitations 5x7 and printing at Walmart, but since I had to wait until the last minute to find out what dates would work for family traveling from out of town...the 5x7 would have cost around $23 dollars to develop 12 photos using the one hour developing, so I opted for the less expensive 4x6 that was under $5.00. If you have time and can send your photos out they are a lot less expensive to develop the 5x7. To make the invitation bigger and more professional looking, I trimmed off the black border and added a 5x7 piece of black cardstock behind the picture.

[​IMG]

I printed the ticket at home on white cardstock and inserted it into the envelope with the invitation. I printed mine so that they were 7 x 2.3 inches.

I love to make fun invitations as it can help build up the excitement and anticipation for the party.

Next post will be Pit Passes and a few things I made getting ready for the party! If you like what you see so far...keep watching as I will try to get everything posted over the next few days. Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions about how I made the different things.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

Nothing is better than actually getting to visit "the Pit" at a racetrack...so I made and put each child's name on a "Pit Pass". I also made special "Pit Passes" for family that helped with the party. My sister's said "Media" as she took all the pictures for me, my dad's said "Track Master" since he built the track, my husband was the "Crew Chief" and my mom and I were the "Pit Crew".

[​IMG]

HOW TO MAKE:
    My pit passes measured 6 x 3.43 inches. I was able to print three per sheet of white cardstock. Then I trimmed them out and laminated using a small laminating machine from walmart. (You could also use clear adhesive shelf paper on both sides, but it isn't as sturdy as actually laminating with true laminating sheets.) Then punch a hole at the top and insert a lanyard.

I love making wrappers for water bottles and candy...but I don't always love all of the ink that they can use...so for this one, I went pretty simple as to not waste on printer ink. Since the colors for the party were black, red and white and my little one was turing 4...here is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

The UPC code said "PRICELESS" and the red box said:
    One great day,
    close family and friends,
    cupcakes and ice cream,
    lots of cars,
    and a great time
    had by all
    celebrating JT's
    4th Birthday!

SOURCE: Todd & Dolly
    City, County, State

Robison Bottling Company
    Division of TAD

Please Recycle

HOW TO MAKE:
    Print on white cardstock and trim out the wrapper (mine measured 1.75 x 8.5 inches and I put them on Ozarka water bottles) . Then use clear adhesive shelf paper to laminate the printed side of the cardstock. When you trim the shelf paper, make sure to leave approximately 1/8 of an inch all the way around the image to adhere it to the water bottle. You will still want to use double sided tape on the two shorter ends as well.

I like to use the shelf paper because it is very inexpensive compared to laminating. I purchased one roll and after laminating a ton of things for the party...I still have half a roll left. The paper is also called "peel and stick transparent laminate". I use the duck brand and you should be able to find it with the rest of the shelf paper at Walmart for around $5.00.

The reason I cover my wrappers is so that I can stick them in ice or the refrigerator and if water gets spilled on them I don't have to worry about the ink running. You can also print these on a special paper for ink jet printers that won't smear when it gets wet. It is a good deal more expensive then covering the paper yourself...but it does save a lot of time.

4. Mom2boys2

Mom2boys2 Earning My Ears

These are great...My 5 yr old wants a "Cars" party as well, so I may have to lift some of your designs from your shared file.

Thank you for sharing!

5. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

The Banner:

Individual Flag
    [​IMG]

Entire Banner...not the best picture as each flag was laminated and the flash caused a glare on them.
    [​IMG]

Each flag was approximately the size of regular sheet of paper. I printed them on cardstock, then trimmed out and laminated with my machine. Definitely print on cardstock, but it isn't necessary to laminate. I laminated mine because I knew that I would have to get them from point a to point b and I wasn't sure what they weather would be like or if they would end up underneath other things...so I laminated them to make them extra sturdy. Then I punched on a hole close to the top on ether side and used red and black ribbons to attach each flag together. I think it turned out pretty cute!

You could also print two per page and have a slightly smaller banner, but my party was in a gym...so I needed a large banner.

6. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

Table Decorations:

First, the theme for the table decoartions was "JT's Drive-In". I thought it would be fun to use not necessarily everything from the "Cars" movie so instead of having "Flow's V8 Cafe"...I chose to have JT's Drive-In. I didn't get a picture of the entire table after we finished decorating it, but this will give you a basic idea of what it looked like. I used red table cloths, but you could use checkered. (The red table cloths were approximately $2.00 and the checkered were $7.00...since I had to buy 5...I opted for the cheaper table cloths). Then I purchased a black roll of wrapping paper and had my sister roll it all the way out and cut a long strip approximately 8-10 inches wide. Then she used white electrical tape to make the dotted lines so that it would look like a road right down them middle of the tables. Next we added JT's Drive-In signs, cut outs from a "Cars" party kit at Walmart (cost around $12.00 and comes with lots of GREAT party decorations like gift tags, placemats, cars centerpieces, confetti, silverwear/napkin wrappers, etc.), "Racing Times" newspapers and lots of my sons cars (not pictured).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

Games:

What I really wanted to do was set up a race track outside and have all of the kids bring their electric cars, but since my son has an August birthday and it is over 100 degrees in August in Texas...we opted to enjoy the A/C in a gym. Our church just refinished their gym floors so I didn't want to mess them up by having electric cars drive on them. Instead, on one side of the gym, we set up to two different remote control car race tracks. My dad made an amazing track using PVC pipe and it was a lot of fun. The other track was a series of cones that the kids had to maneuver the cars around. The kids could either race another driver or run a time trial lap and place their name and time on a board on the wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other side of the gym...I set up street signs that I made using signs that I found online with Google and music stands. (I removed the top part of the stand and attached the street sign to the base. Then I brought all of my sons ride on toys and had a few friends bring their child's ride on toys.

[​IMG]

We also played "Red Light Green Light" on the side of the gym with the street signs. We had the kids start on one side of the court and I had bags of M&M's with cute party toppers on the other side and they raced to get to their bag of M&M's. We also played "Doc, Doc, Lightning" (instead of Duck, Duck, Goose). One of the other 4 year olds took off all over the gym instead of running around the circle and my son went and grabbed the "stop" sign and waved it in his face. It was too cute!

8. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

Food:

If you have seen my other parties...I'm a fan of cupcakes and ice cream bars! It is so much easier to pass out cupcakes and let others serve their own ice cream then spending 20 minutes cutting cake and dishing out ice cream.

That being said and going along with the "cars" theme. I set up "JT's Fillin' Station and Ice Cream Shop". The Fillin' Station side of the table had drinks so that people could grab a drink throughout the party. I couldn't resist going with the old fashioned glass coke bottles as it fit the "Fillin' Station" theme. I also had juice drinks for the little ones (my son does not drink cokes) and the water bottles I posted earlier. On the other side...I had the ice cream toppings ready to go for when the cupcakes were brought out. Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made all of the labels, trimmed and laminated with the shelf paper so that if anything fell on them...they could be easily wiped off and the ink wouldn't smear. Some of the labels were attached to popsicle sticks and the others were placed in refrigerator magnets that you can get from Walmart (they are super cheap...around 4 for $4, I think). There is a circle on the front of the magnet so I placed a party logo in the circle.

Now what everyone loved!!! The hamburger cupcakes and sugar cookie french fries. These are a creation of http://www.bakerella.com/. She has lots of great pictures and how to's online. She actually made everything from a box. You can find instructions and pictures on this thread that Wendypooh posted: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2441622&highlight=cupcake+pops

Here is what I started with...the french fry and hamburger basket template I got from the bakerella website. I added "JT's Drive-In" to the basket and a logo to the french fry holder.

[​IMG]

Here are what they look like after I made 3 pans of brownies, 48 cupcakes and an untold amount of sugar cookies:

[​IMG]

9. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

Before I take a few more pictures of the favors...I remembered I wanted to post a picture of the "Racing Times" newspaper that I made for the party. Every year, I like to have a "write up" about what JT did over the past year. Normally, I put it on the centerpiece but this year I decided to have a newspaper at "JT's Fillin' Station". I modeled it after a newpaper and I printed information on the front and back. There were different sections for funny stories, cute sayings, favorites, year in review, a 3 year olds imagination, dislikes, what he learned, etc. Here is a picture of the front of the paper:

[​IMG]

I love writing these every year as my memory might fade of the cute things he said and did, but I will always have a great reminder!

10. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

Now for the favors. If you remember my "Peter Pan" party from last year...you will know that I really enjoy making favors...so just like last year...there are quite a few.

First, since it was a "cars" party and if you know me from the Boards...you know that I love travel games, so I made some for the guests.

One of the best ways to store printable travel games is in a pencil bag, as you can throw it in the glovebox or under a seat and forget about it. Then the next time you are on a trip and your child says "I'm bored"...you will remember the bag! That being said...here is the pencil bag with all the favors it it:

[​IMG]

Here are some of the travel games (I made 4 different styles of the travel and vehicle bingo so that each player has a different card with different images). If you make these, you will want to laminate them and add a dry erase marker to the bag. Then you can wipe them off and use them over and over! Even if you don't have a cars party...these make great gifts if you are going to another child's party and want to take something extra special. I have several different styles in my 4shared file for girls, boys and disney.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a candy bar with the candy bar wrapper I made. If you want to make a candy bar wrapper for a regular milk chocolate hershey bar, the wrapper should measure 5.25x5.5 inches. Print on regular paper (not cardstock) and cover with clear adhesive shelf paper to give it a professional look and feel. Or you can print it on glossy brochure paper.

[​IMG]

And the M&M bag with topper that the kids raced to during the "Red Light Green Light" game. I purchased the bag at Hobby Lobby. They sell it as a "jewelry" bag.

[​IMG]

When I was little my dad/mom would often buy a roll of life savers at gas stations and then we would all enjoy them as we ate the colors one at a time. We would all fight for the red...but you were lucky if you liked all the colors as there were several that most of the other family members weren't interested in. :goodvibes Anyways, because of that fond memory...I just had to include life savers in the travel pouch.

[​IMG]

I also included an 8 pack of crayons with a wrapper I designed and hid my son's name in different places. These go along with the state license place game. It says "color and write the date in the state when you find its license plate". I used the clear adhesive shelf paper on the outside of these as well to give it a more professional look and feel.

[​IMG]

Here they are all together!

[​IMG]

11. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

Now for the thank you notes. I haven't designed the thank you note yet, but I have the two pics that I will add with each note. I think there is nothing better that you can give then pictures. So often we are busy and on the run and don't get lots of pics or don't bring our cameras to other children's parties. I always have my sister take pictures of the kids and their families and incorporate them into the thank you note. This year I'm making each child a drivers license and sending the family pic in a frame that Milliepie posted on the Boards. Here are two examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I get a thank you note designed, I will try to post it if I remember.

12. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

I just had to post a pic of this wonderfully creative gift that one of my good friends gave my son...it is too cute. She is a dentist and the fun thing is the first thing he was excited about in the box was the toothbrush.

[​IMG]

I'm planning on turning the lunch box into a travel game box with different magnetic letters and paper dolls.

13. Catira

Catira DIS Veteran

You did an awesome job. You are indeed a an extremely creative person. I'm sure everyone had a blast at the party.:)

14. M_I_C_K_E_Y

M_I_C_K_E_Y It Was All Started by a Mouse

Dolly - WOW!!! You never cease to amaze me.

It was because of your influence that for my son's bday this summer, I made the invite, thank you card, banner, decorations and even made the table tent. The tent was everyone's favorite because the theme of the party was "splash bash" and I put lots of new and old pictures of family doing water related activities. They loved looking at everyone 'way back when'.

Thanks for always inspiring me (and others) to try new things and think outside the box.

15. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

Thanks...I owe all my creativity to the Boards. I've learned so much by helping others.

Wow! I'm amazed that I could inspire you! Good job on making it all yourself! It is a lot of fun, and nothing is better than personalizing things with pictures.

16. MICKEYMOMMYTO3

MICKEYMOMMYTO3 Mouseketeer

WOW AMAZING!!!!

I wanna be invited to one of your parties.....LOL

Yes, you did an AAAmazing job!!!

Happy 4th bday JT, you are one lucky little boy to have such a great, fun and creative Mommy..................CAN'T wait to see next years!!!

17. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

I'm not 100% certain what I'm going to do next year...but I'm considering a Wii tournament as my little one LOVES the Wii. If I do that...I'm going to send a link to a website where you can DISign your own Mii along with the invite. Then they will have to RSVP with their Mii and I can put it on different party things. Now that he is 4, I'm sure he will have a few ideas of his own for party themes, and as you know they will change their minds about 12 times leading up to the party. :goodvibes

18. UAGirl7

UAGirl7 Earning My Ears

Cutest birthday party EVER! I just wish that I had an ounce of your creativity!

19. jtanddolly

jtanddolly DIS Veteran

You don't need creativity as much as you just have to be able to do some research and spend some time on google. I'm really not that creative...but I'm a slight perfectionist and I can copy most anything if I put my mind to it. I bet you would surprise yourself at what you can do.

20. bababear_50

bababear_50 DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness Hon everything is just wonderful and beautiful (I'm feeling tears of joy for you and your family).What a great mom you are Dolly,,and the memories that you created and shared will be with you and your family forever!
    Well Done!!
    Hugs To you and Happy Belated Birthday to your son.

BIG BIRTHDAY HUGS
    Mel:grouphug:

21. BNJ226

BNJ226 Disney World Here We Come.....

WOW Is all I can say. Everything looks AMAZING :cheer2:He is one lucky little man. You did a fantastic job :thumbsup2

I so wish I was a kid. That would be the BEST party ever :rotfl2: :lmao:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.