Picky eater at Ohana's

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by kabbie, Jun 5, 2013.

1. kabbie

kabbie DIS Veteran

I have dinner reservations for my family this Sept at Ohana's (will be our first time eating there). Majority of us are looking forward to the atmosphere and food, but My problem is with my dad. He is a very picky eater and is limited with what he can eat. The only thing he would eat on the menu is steak, but he can't now because of his teeth. He doesn't like anything else on the menu (salad, chicken wings, potstickers, noodles, veggies - you get the idea) - Is there a way he could get a simple hamburger patty? Or not eat and pay an entertainment fee?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ZoZo

ZoZo DIS Veteran

Not sure of the answer to whether he can request a hamburger patty. But I'm almost certain he won't be able to sit with you and not eat, even if he was willing to pay a reduced fee. There's no way for WDW to "police" (or keep track of) whether someone eats or not at buffet and family-style restaurants -- you could see how someone might try to take advantage of that (although that's not what the OP is trying to do).

As far as I know, if you're sitting at the table, you have to pay the full price, regardless of whether you eat or not.

4. kabbie

kabbie DIS Veteran

Really? A few years ago, my dad got violently ill with food poisoning while at Disney (after airport or Garden Grill - not sure- one never knows with food born illnesses). We went to Crystal Palace one morning and he couldn't eat, but he still wanted to see my nieces' character interaction. Our server knew my dad didn't eat so he charged a $10 "entertainment fee". I should have mentioned this in my previous post - sorry.

5. cymbaldiva

cymbaldiva DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry they charged him a fee to just sit there - I really would have thought that the park ticket would have covered the price of entertainment.

6. Minnie824

Minnie824 DIS Veteran

I would think they would bring him what he would eat. My mom is VERY picky and we went there a few years ago. They brought her a bowl of buttered noodles because that was all she wanted...oh and a huge bowl of fruit as a side. They've been pretty good about bringing other items for my kids as well.

7. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

You were very lucky and received some "pixie dust" from a CM then, because this is against Disney policy. They are very clear that everyone at the table pay the full price. There have even been reports of individuals with feeding tubes who are clearly unable to eat being charged. I certainly would not expect that to happen again.
    I also would not expect to be able to order him a hamburger either. If it is not on the menu then it probably is not even available in the kitchen. I also checked both the adult and children's menus at nearby Kona Cafe for you and they do not offer a hamburger. It always amazes me when folks want to order something completely off menu. Why would they even have that item available if they do not serve it?
    If you want your Dad with you, it sounds like this restaurant may not work for you.
    Good Luck in your decision.

8. smiths02

smiths02 DIS Veteran

Are there any children in your party? When we went with my son, we were automatically offered kids meal. My son didn't really eat the kids meal, my DH ate most of the fries.

So if there are children there, I am sure that you can ask for a kids meal and then your dad can just eat off that.

9. jennylyn_b

jennylyn_b Disney Fan for Life :)

Unfortunately, you will be charged full price for Dad unless you receive some extremely lucky pixie dust. I would also ask for a kids meal for him and have him pick at that. Or talk to the server about what he can eat and maybe the kitchen can make him something with the ingredients they have on hand?!?

10. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

At Crystal Palace? A buffet?? Not a chance. If you sit at a table, they will charge you full price even if you nible on just one piece of bacon. Thats just how it is.

As others have said, if you get lucky and get a really really nice CM, you might get away with it. But i wouldnt count on it.

11. kabbie

kabbie DIS Veteran

Trust me when we were at Crystal Palace, we fully intended on paying full price for my Dad. The CM let us know when he dropped off the bill that he was just charging the entertainment fee. He made out it to be a routine that they had and that our situation was not uncommon.

Thank you for everyone's input.

12. jakenjess

jakenjess DIS Veteran

They brought chicken nuggets for my picky son (who was a Disney adult ;) ) but we were charged the full adult price. Overall, I'm in the minority who isn't a fan. The food was just okay and I thought it was expensive for what it was. We try to stay away from the set price menus now just because it's not worth it for how much we tend to eat.

13. Diegosmom

Diegosmom DIS Veteran

We went for my Birthday last Jan and I was so excited...untill we got the food...I wasnt that big of a fan but it wasnt bad...but DH HATED everything. He is not into his food tasting sweet and everything is sweet. I mentioned this to the server and the chef came right out....

Ended up making us a huge plate of grilled shrimp (no sauce) chicken wings (without the sauce) and plain rice. We were also offered the childrens offerings (I know chicken nuggest and fries maybe something else).

And they sent out soooooo much food enough for 4 people...surprising my husband ate it all lol. Def got his moneys worth on that shrimp...

So they do go above and beyond to make sure you are happy.

14. MSSANDRA

MSSANDRA DIS Veteran

I would go in expecting that he will pay full price and be offered only the adult foods, and if anything beyond that happens if would be just magic. What does he eat? It is possible they could bring him something off the kids menu but they don't have to and might not. The chicken there is very plain and simple, would he maybe eat that, and ask for some of the noodles plain and do some fruit. My FIL is the pickiest man EVER. He simply eats before we go, and will drink coffee and have dessert( maybe) with us.

15. kabbie

kabbie DIS Veteran

That's exactly what we are prob going to do - have him get a hamburger at Capt Cooks and go to Ohanas as a family. I made regret the decision because of the mixed reviews about Ohanas - the DIS Unplugged reviews are enough to scare anyone. But I want to give it a shot. My dad unfortunately won't eat chicken - he is weird! He grew up on a farm and witnessed his mom butchering chickens and he is scarred for life.

16. darthtatty

darthtatty Been There, Done That, Going Back!

I agree with other, either ask for something special to be cooked-like plain noodles or get some of the childrens food for him. Is there anything he likes at Kona? I have heard of people getting food from there at their Ohana meal. :thumbsup2

17. tevisco4

tevisco4 Mouseketeer

I think the simplest solution would be to call Disney Dining and ask. They will be able to tell you if they can serve him other items that are not on the menu and they can also tell you if he will be charged if he eats or not. Have a great trip!

18. jennylyn_b

jennylyn_b Disney Fan for Life :)

The problem with that is whoever you get may or may not know and it doesn't matter as they are in a call center and not actually there. The CMs on the dining line are notorious for inaccurate information.

19. AlohaAnnie

AlohaAnnie DIS Veteran

What I am understanding is that you are more concerned about what your Dad will eat at Ohana, not what they will charge you for his meal.

So I would explain the situation to the waiter and see if they will fix your Dad a special meal he can eat. If they can fix a meal for a vegetarian or offer a kids meal for children, I am thinking they will fix a meal for an elderly man with aging teeth.

I wouldn't worry about it now, wait until you arrive at Ohana and address the situation then.

Good Luck and I hope there is a solution for you.

:goodvibes

20. Laura

Laura This space for rent

I think they can try to work something out. It just depends on what he does like. Fortunately, 'Ohana is in a hotel and next to another restaurant, so they can get "help" from other kitchens. For example, they could possibly bring out something from the kids' menu at Kona.

As AlohaAnnie says, if they can bring out special meals for picky kids and vegetarians, I think they can find something for your dad.