piano lessons - how much do you pay?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Grumpy's Gal, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Grumpy's Gal

Grumpy's Gal <font color=coral>Of course, who wants to get gold

how much do you pay for your kids piano lessons?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. drcmk

drcmk DIS Veteran

My piano teacher comes to our house. We pay $20 per hour lesson.

I priced a bigger music school, where the kids would have to go there for lessons and it was $30 per hour.

4. fiveforall

fiveforall DIS Veteran

I pay 20 an hour for my 10 yr old and 15 for 45 minutes for my 7 year old. So, that's 140 a month, plus extras for books. We drive about 25 miles to get to their piano teacher's house.

5. cbbi

cbbi Mouseketeer

$10/30 Minutes or $15/45 Minutes - + books, guild fees, etc.

6. Jasminesmommy

Jasminesmommy <font color=red>My dh pops the can for me<br><font

My DD voice teacher also teaches Piano charges $25 for half an hour lesson.

7. spoon2003

spoon2003 DIS Veteran

$50 for 45 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue

8. DisneyDotty

DisneyDotty Oops, no more!

$32/hour ($15/half hour for dd11 and $17/half hour for ds7). :flower:

9. mbethel

mbethel Mouseketeer

I teach piano (college degree in it) and charge $10 for a 30 minute lesson. My students come to my house. I figured that my parents paid the same for me 20 years ago so my students are making out pretty good:) I've been told to raise the prices, but I love it and only have a couple students since my hubby's in the military and we move around a lot. I know that $12-$15 is average for a 30 minute lesson in a lot of places.

10. DreadpiratK

DreadpiratK Mouseketeer

$26/half hour! At the Nutmeg Conservatory. High, but worth it, all teachers have a masters or better in not just piano, but music education. We went from the $10/hour in home teaching to this, and the difference is unbelievable. He learns more now in a few weeks then he did in a year before.

Still, it's a major expense. Sometimes when he is grumbling about practicing I wonder if it really is worth it!

11. tar heel

tar heel <font color=royalblue>Where will we get our news i

$45 a month for two 1/2 hour lessons plus a one-hour group lesson every other month.

12. txgirl

txgirl DIS Veteran

I pay $15 per hour for each of my daughters and they go at the same time. It ends up being $120 per month. One does computer work while the other is with the teacher for 30 minutes and then they switch. :sunny:

13. babytrees

babytrees <font color=blue>I hate when you've been salivatin

We pay $25 a week for both my daughters...they come here where I work(a church) and the organist teaches them here....we buy a new book every once in a while and we have what I think is the best teacher in town!!

:cheer2:

14. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy DIS Veteran

We pay $15 per half hour once a week and the teacher comes to our house. So convenient. Our goal is for her to be knowledgeable in music and like it. Mrs. S does not do recitals which is fine with us. My dd loves her too! Practice is not a problem during school - just does it in the morning before she leaves but the summer is hard with no schedule so we only take once every 2 weeks.

15. Mom of Sleepy Bashful and BabyDoc

Mom of Sleepy Bashful and BabyDoc DIS Veteran

Mine comes to my house and she charges $13 for half hour. I have two that take piano and I give her $4 extra for gas.................just because I want to and I want to keep her happy! lol :teeth: so that's $30 every week.

There are a couple of places that charge $15 for half hour here.

edited to add: $13 is what she told me when I first hired her (for half hour). NOw, I don't know if she does it for others, but she works with my DD's for at least 45 min. each. I don't know if that is normal or because she really wants to give me my money's worth since I give her extra.

16. Jen D

Jen D DIS Veteran

$25 a half hour, and we go to the teacher's house. It sems about standard in the NYC area. Amazed at how cheap some of these lessons are!

17. CarolinaBlue

CarolinaBlue I solemnly swear that I am up to no good<br><font

$45 a month. DD goes for a 1/2 hour each week.

18. susieeQ

susieeQ Mouseketeer

I pay 15$ for a half hour weekly lesson. both of my kids take lessons at the teachers house. That makes lessons 120$ a month. But the twins really enjoy playing the piano, so i feel the money is well spent :sunny:

19. DianaPrincessofWales

DianaPrincessofWales DIS Veteran

We drive into town where our teacher has lessons at a church. I like this-quiet atmosphere and no distractions. I pay 20$/hour. My three kids each have a 20 min. lesson. It's what we can afford, and it works for us.

20. stacy347

stacy347 I carried a watermelon?

$15 per half hour session (one session per week) and we drive to the teacher's house as well.

21. fac

fac DIS Veteran

$35 for 1/2 hour and we go to the music center.