Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

You think it would work well for the occasional portrait if i run into any? Would be nice to have a decent telphoto and that would most certainly be an upgrade from what im using now

It's not specifically a portrait lens, but yes, you'll get good portraits out of it. Even though it's not a fast lens, you can get nice background separation even with the aperture at 5.6.

This guys just reduced the 70-300 down to $399, you think its worth it? Im really tempted.

IMO - absolutely. As I mentioned I have loved that lens from the moment I got it and have never wavered on it. As long as the aperture works for what I'm shooting I'll take it. It's sharp and quite fast focusing.

It's not specifically a portrait lens, but yes, you'll get good portraits out of it. Even though it's not a fast lens, you can get nice background separation even with the aperture at 5.6.

IMO - absolutely. As I mentioned I have loved that lens from the moment I got it and have never wavered on it. As long as the aperture works for what I'm shooting I'll take it. It's sharp and quite fast focusing.

Just bought it : ) Wasn't really planned but how could I pass up that price.

Just bought it : ) Wasn't really planned but how could I pass up that price.

The uncertainty about the A-mount has definitely led to some very soft pricing. There are some bargains to be had on glass. While prices might continue to drop, they can only drop so much...
The 70-300 is still actually selling on Ebay for around $450-500. So it's unlikely you are risking taking any significant loss.

Looking just as Dyxum, some real bargains I see:

SAL70400 G SSM $1200 (Actually... that's slightly high. Seen it cheaper on ebay)

Minolta 200mm f/2.8 G APO HS - $800 (I had the non-HS version with a chipped focus limiter switch for less money. )
My favorite lens of all time! I hate to see this one go, but my loss is your gain! This lens is also in excellent shape and has very few cosmetic blemishes. 99% of the white paint is still on the body and there are only a few nicks here and there. PM me for pictures to get a better idea of the actual condition. Glass is clean and clear; aperture blades are snappy. Comes with front & rear caps and the original Minolta CLR filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-100...170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d8e7a38a -- Ok, this is eBay.. But it is KEH, with 180 day warranty, for the magnificent Minolta 100/2.8 macro for only $270

Well after thinking about it all weekend I decided to back out of the 70-300 deal. Its a really great price but after just buying the Sigma 35mm lens I was pushing it as far as my budget goes so it was in my best interest to let it go. I was really looking forward to it but I had to do the right thing. Plus if my wife ever caught wind of what I was doing it would be the last time you guys ever heard from me hahaaha

I did get a chance to get out with the Sgma 35mm lens this weekend and so far I love it. Focus is super quiet (which im not used to at all) and so far seems pretty accurate, lens is sharp and colors are suburb. The best lens ive own thus far.

All shot using the new lens. Portraits I added some glamour glow/skin softener so not as sharp but still pretty good. The chairs I didnt and just bumped up the sharpness just a tad in LR along with some contrast filters in Nik

3 out of my 4 girls by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Guanabana by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Two Toublemakers by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

My Lil Peanut by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

I did get a chance to get out with the Sgma 35mm lens this weekend and so far I love it. Focus is super quiet (which im not used to at all) and so far seems pretty accurate, lens is sharp and colors are suburb. The best lens ive own thus far.

All shot using the new lens. Portraits I added some glamour glow/skin softener so not as sharp but still pretty good. The chairs I didnt and just bumped up the sharpness just a tad in LR along with some contrast filters in Nik

3 out of my 4 girls by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Guanabana by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Two Toublemakers by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

My Lil Peanut by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr
Eeeeeeek....that peanut has the eyes of an anime bunny rabbit or baby deer....that's just adorable no matter what you're shooting!!!

My Sigma 70-200 is in the mail! I can't wait to come post something!

DSC09770-XL.jpg

O frabjous day!!! My Sigma 70-200 arrived!!! Yes, I know I was warned, but....holy carpal tunnel, Batman--this thing is massive!!!

So, I read all the specs and tons of reviews, BUT.....I can't seem to get this teleconverter to fit my A77. Sigma APO 70-200 2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens and Sigma APO TC 2x EX DG. It doesn't seem to fit the lens OR the camera. Am I a total moron?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

O frabjous day!!! My Sigma 70-200 arrived!!! Yes, I know I was warned, but....holy carpal tunnel, Batman--this thing is massive!!!

So, I read all the specs and tons of reviews, BUT.....I can't seem to get this teleconverter to fit my A77. Sigma APO 70-200 2.8 EX DG OS HSM lens and Sigma APO TC 2x EX DG. It doesn't seem to fit the lens OR the camera. Am I a total moron?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sure it's the Sony version of the teleconverter? You are likely better off without it.... On a 70-200 zoom, a 2x tele will degrade the image significantly. (The 2x is ok on primes but usually results in a mushy image on a zoom) You're better off just using a 1.4.

Sure it's the Sony version of the teleconverter? You are likely better off without it.... On a 70-200 zoom, a 2x tele will degrade the image significantly. (The 2x is ok on primes but usually results in a mushy image on a zoom) You're better off just using a 1.4.
Well, no, I'm not sure of that, as it isn't marked specifically as such. But the moron part comes out in that it's Sigma, and says it fits my Sigma lens, but I can't get it on the lens either!! I could understand if it didn't fit the camera, but...???

Im regretting not getting the 70-300 now :worried:

I might just end up getting a used copy of the Tamron 70-300 SP Di USD which Kurt Munger rated pretty clos optically to the Sony G lens but half the price. This might a pill a little easier to swallow right now lol

Last edited:
Well, no, I'm not sure of that, as it isn't marked specifically as such. But the moron part comes out in that it's Sigma, and says it fits my Sigma lens, but I can't get it on the lens either!! I could understand if it didn't fit the camera, but...???

If it's not the Sony version, then it won't fit the camera or lens. Remember, the lens is customized to fit Sony mount. So the converter must be customized on both sides for the Sony mount.

Did you buy it new? The box should tell you which mount it is designed to fit.
The lens fits on your camera, correct?

If it's not the Sony version, then it won't fit the camera or lens. Remember, the lens is customized to fit Sony mount. So the converter must be customized on both sides for the Sony mount.

Did you buy it new? The box should tell you which mount it is designed to fit.
The lens fits on your camera, correct?
Yes, lens fits camera (I did get that far LOL). Here's the box...it definitely doesn't say Sony, but I looked back and there isn't one available (like, anywhere) that does. But in the spec sheet and instructions, it references using it with Sony ("if using with Sony" do this or that differently). I would swear I looked at one from B&H that did specifically for Sony, but I don't see it now, so I guess that's not what I ordered.

I went ahead and purchased a used one for a Minolta, so worst case, I assume (or hope, I guess) that it will work in MF at least.

BTW, I am loving being able to post pics directly now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 4
There's your issue - it has nothing to do with it being a Sigma LENS, but the fact that the adapter you purchased is for the Sigma AF MOUNT ( I believe their mount is called Sigma SA mount, and yours indicates autofocus capability for newer lenses). Sigma makes cameras too - and they have their own unique mount...so the adapter you have is meant to mount Sigma AF lenses to Sigma AF mount cameras. You have a Sigma-designed Sony Alpha mount lens for a Sony Alpha mount camera. You need to buy the specific converter for Sony/Minolta Alpha or A mount...that will do the trick.

There's your issue - it has nothing to do with it being a Sigma LENS, but the fact that the adapter you purchased is for the Sigma AF MOUNT ( I believe their mount is called Sigma SA mount, and yours indicates autofocus capability for newer lenses). Sigma makes cameras too - and they have their own unique mount...so the adapter you have is meant to mount Sigma AF lenses to Sigma AF mount cameras. You have a Sigma-designed Sony Alpha mount lens for a Sony Alpha mount camera. You need to buy the specific converter for Sony/Minolta Alpha or A mount...that will do the trick.
Ahhhhhh, dangit! Like I said, I'm not actually finding one anywhere. I'm wondering if they stopped making them for some reason?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter