Photo of man about to be killed by subway train

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Jennasis, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Princess Dolly

Princess Dolly <font color=green>Unfortunately it encroached the

You don't have to click on the link.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Princess Dolly

4. npmommie

npmommie <font color=red>Channels George Michael in her car

you are right, and I did not click the link.
    but you are missing my point. there is a curiosity factor here with passing the picture further.

just stating the obvious. I think its just as bad to keep it going here as it is to publish it in the first place.
    of course this is jmo

5. luvmy3

luvmy3 <font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t

Nothing to be sorry about, I just hope any misunderstanding about my post is clear. That goes for you too Jennasis :hippie:

I find that so much more disturbing than a photojournalist taking that picture. Why would anyone do that.

I imagine they didn't want to put themselves in jeopardy. I can say that if my dh was there and went running over to help, I'd hold him back for fear he'd end up on the tracks too. Not something I'm proud of, but doesn't change it.

6. FergieTCat

FergieTCat <font color=green>No, I'm serious. And don't call

Whether or not Kitty Genovese was a parable, there still remains "The Bystander Effect."

7. kimblebee

kimblebee now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

I think you need to edit your post to include a warning that the photo appears on this link as well. I opened the OP link so I had already seen it but others who want to avoid the picture may open your link and be upset. Just a thought.

8. Princess Dolly

Thanks. Honestly, I didn't even notice the picture because I scrolled right to the words. Here is the article copied:

9. mnrose

mnrose Queen of all she surveys

I heard the photographer interviewed this morning on the Today show, and I do not fault him for taking the photo. Photojournalists operate on instinct...and thank goodness they do! As someone else said, photos tell stories that words cannot. And, some important stories they are. I think of some of the photographs coming out of the Vietnam war. It was the horrifying photos that brought attention to the war, and helped it end.

The photographer in this particular photo says he was way too far away to do any good at rescuing the man. I believe him. It all happened in mere seconds. Others were closer and still could do nothing to save him.

I do not think that publishing the photo was in good taste. But, that is not the photographer's fault.

10. Geoff_M

Geoff_M DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Ditto with Vincent Laforet... I love his work, particularly his aerial stuff.

That's a pretty good commentary round-up from a lot of people that have "been there", so to speak... but I will say that some, but not all, of the opinions were obviously garnered without the knowledge that the photo in question was only a byproduct of Abbasi's repeated "blind firing" of the camera at arm's length in an effort to alert the train operator instead of trying to capture a horrific accident.

11. MakiraMarlena

MakiraMarlena It's a big black fish to you

I guess I have the advantage of hindsight but I don't see how setting off the flash in the train driver's face would have helped to alert him that there was a man on the tracks. Even then, those trains are not capable of stopping quickly.

When things happen that fast, sometimes you're not thinking very clearly though. Maybe it was all he could think of to do.

I can't fault him for the photo, it's the front page full color garish headline placement it was given by the NY post.

12. cornflake

cornflake DIS Veteran

I think there's a huge difference between publishing something for exploitive effect and publishing it for the purposes of an actual discussion.

Would there be any difference between the napalm girl photo the way it was run and if someone ran it with a creepy headline about her nudity in some lurid magazine?

Don't have a problem with the photographer, he wasn't close; he had no other recourse - and I don't have a problem even if he was doing it partly for documentation's sake.

The Post, however... at the very least that's not the way to use it.

13. FireDancer

FireDancer DIS Veteran

That is the justification they use but no, it is just an excuse to post the picture and still have a lie to tell themselves and make them feel better about doing exactly what they are trying to criticize.

14. Deb in IA

Deb in IA Knows that KIDS are better

I agree with the professionals who said that without actually being there, it is hard, probably impossible, to say if the photographer could have saved the man.

However, if the photographer was only using the flash to try to warn the engineer of the oncoming train, then why were the images published? And with such a disgusting headline?

Obviously, the Post was using sensationalism to make $$$, at the expense of the victim of this tragedy.

And that is the real outrage of this entire story. :mad:

15. cornflake

cornflake DIS Veteran

I disagree. Would you say the same about the napalm girl photo? Things aren't just one thing. The Times could surely have used the photo to illustrate the original story, had they so chosen.

They're using it to illustrate a discussion - hard to discuss without the photo in question.