Photo Ladies: Camera Bag, purse, both?? What do you use?

Mickeyflower

I find that The Dis is my happy place frequently
So I recently bought a new Nikon Coolpix P530! I'm super excited & nervous to learn all about this camera. While I'm still totally in the dark about all the manual options this camera comes with, I'm pretty familiar with all the pre-programmed scene selections. I'm excited to see what I will end up with on my upcoming December trip to DLR. This camera is much bigger than I'm used too. When I tour the parks, I usually have a smallish cross body purse that fits my pared down wallet, sunglasses & my small P&S camera. With this more advanced camera, it wont fit in my small purse and I really don't want it dangling around my neck. Instead of toting my purse and camera bag, I'd like to maybe get something that will hold both without looking clumpy. Any suggestions? Ive thought of the Pacsafe backpacks, but I'm open to any suggestions you experts have.

TIA!

PS: I plan on making a list of things I want to take photos of. I bought the PhotoPass+ so there are some things I won't need to photograph, and I can focus on capturing some unique to my trip pictures!

This is my 1st trip coming up but even though I bought the PhotoPass+ but being the photographer I want my own shots so I’m taking my Samsung Galaxy mini camera and my Canon but I don’t want to take my big camera bag either. My plan was originally to take a drawstring backpack. But I’ve been looking on Amazon at waterproof camera cases that are pretty small in comparison to my original camera bag. It fits an extra lens and I can toss in my $$ , debit card and ID too and it will keep it dry for a wet ride if it’s not too cold to go on one

If I am carrying just my Canon G12 I use my "Life Is Good" over the shoulder, cloth bag especially at Universal. It's small but holds the G12, chapstick, money, meds, passes etc. that I need.

But if I am carrying my DSLR Canon T4i with any extra lenses I use my large fanny pack. As ugly as it may look I don't care. It holds my DSLR with lens attached, an extra lens and all the other items I carry in my small bag plus a water bottle. I have several other camera bags (at least 4) of various styles and sizes but have found that shoulder strap bags bother me, even those that ride on only 1 shoulder and slip around for access.

You may want to do a couple walk-throughs at a local park or mall wearing different bags fully loaded.

Last edited:
This is what I use:

http://store.lowepro.com/passport-sling-iii

I have a Canon backpack and a bunch of other bags I can use but I LOVE my Lowepro Passport. It holds my camera with huge lens attached, as well as an additional smaller lens. I can throw a small wallet in and some other misc items in it as well. The pockets on the outside are perfect to put that lens cover real quick. I can't say enough good things about this bag. It's the perfect size to take on rides with you as well. Not too big and it cradles your camera nicely :)

I'm not sure I want a backpack, the hassle of flinging it off and on would be a PIFA. I do like the Lowepro Passport it seems like a good morph of the two. I'm used to shoulder straps but in the parks I like a cross body bag so I don't have to fiddle with it. Hopefully I can find something functional and stylish! I'll keep you all updated on what I find! Who knows maybe I just found a new business need!!

I like camera bags that function and look like purses. I've been using Kelly Moore camera bags because there's enough room there for a decent kit plus some personal items. My current bag holds my body (no grip), three lenses, a flash unit, extra batteries/memory cards/business cards/etc., my wallet, sunglasses, cell phone, and tablet. I think the Shutterbags are roomy, attractive and versatile too.

So thank you all so much for your input. I wanted to show you what I ended up getting. Of course, at first I thought I could get by with a large purse to carry my camera in, but holy cow was it annoying!! It was such an ordeal to get my camera out! I ended up getting the camera bag you see below. I found it on sale for $99 and got free shipping, plus a year of unlimited backup storage on Amazon Cloud. Space in the back for cards, cash, etc. Room to spare for cell phone, super easy access, strap long enough for cross body, which I LOVE! Thanks again everyone! I never would have found these if you hadn't suggested them!
FullSizeRender(1).jpg FullSizeRender(2).jpg FullSizeRender(3).jpg IMG_2839(1).JPG

Glad you found one that you like! What works great for one person doesn't always work great for another but you do make your way from therm and find something perfect for your needs! I have 3 different bags, the Lowepro is the one I found works best for my lifestyle and the way I shoot. :) Have fun with your new purchase!!! It sure is pretty :teeth:

Well, I am new to the whole camera upgrade world. I've been wanting to upgrade for a long time, and just finally pulled the trigger. It's not a DSLR, but it does have way more manual controls than my old point and shoot. I'm really excited to start learning what my camera can do!

Hey, everyone started somewhere. Have fun learning to play with it :teeth:

This is what I use:

http://store.lowepro.com/passport-sling-iii

I have a Canon backpack and a bunch of other bags I can use but I LOVE my Lowepro Passport. It holds my camera with huge lens attached, as well as an additional smaller lens. I can throw a small wallet in and some other misc items in it as well. The pockets on the outside are perfect to put that lens cover real quick. I can't say enough good things about this bag. It's the perfect size to take on rides with you as well. Not too big and it cradles your camera nicely :)

I have this bag also and used it on my last visit to MK. I like it because it doesn't scream "camera bag" but it's padded and the strap is wide and long enough to wear cross body. It was convenient and my back didn't bother me at the end of the day even though we arrived before 8am and closed the park at 1am (we did take a 3 hour break mid day). I carried my DSLR with a fairly heavy 2.8 lens plus my personal stuff so this was my only bag. I have several other camera bags but I'll be using this one again on my next trip in December.

OP - If you're buying it, check out prices at B&H Photo online. I found it there on sale for $20 less than the regular price and free and very fast shipping. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11032319&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

I use a crossbody bag I got from L.L. Bean which combines a purse and camera bag in one. It is well padded and has mesh pockets on sides for water bottle. Worked perfectly for trips to DL and WDW!

I have also used my LowePro but it isn't quite so roomy once I put in my sunglasses and reading glasses.

So my trip was this past week and I put the bag I bought through the ringer! It worked PERFECTLY! I was able to easily grab my camera in and out, the pocket on the back held my cards and cash perfectly and was super easy to access. Plenty of room inside for my phone, sunglasses, camera with strap, extra battery. It fit across my body no problem (I'm pooh sized) and was well out of the way for rides. It was money well spent!!

I'm a Lowepro lover....
  • padding for the drops
  • All Weather barrier for those sudden rain storms

What style of KellyMoore bag is that? The sizelooksgreat. Smaller than my kelly Moore which I love but is just a bit big for day to day use.

I use a Caon T5, with 3 different lenses, and I throw them all into my vera bradley mini back pack with everything else I take into the parks. I do really need to find some lens bags to keep them safer though lol

I have the Coolpix 530 and I love it. My WDW trip was my trial run with a cross body travel bag that I bought at AAA probably a decade ago. I used the bag and camera for my recent trip to Europe and my pictures were awesome. I have the App 365 for photo ideas to get used to the various settings. I generally use the P S and A settings as well as some of the automatic scene settings. It's a great camera. I hope you like it as much as I do, and I'm glad you found a bag that works for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter