Phones at WDW

erynsmom

Mouseketeer
We are traveling to WDW in February with my mom and in-laws. Most mornings we (DH, DD, myself) will be at the parks before them. DH's cell phone is a work phone and mine doesn't work in the States. Any suggestions on how we can stay in communication with them?
Thanks

I've never heard of a cell phone not working in the states :confused3. I'm on Telus, my daughter has Bell and both work in the states. We both buy a US texting plan add on before we leave, so if we split up for awhile we can easily text to find each other.

Our son used to be with Virgin Wireless and his phone wouldn't work at WDW or DL. No idea why. We're with Rogers and have no problem in the states, with or without the U.S. add-ons.

OP, have you tried contacting your provider? Maybe there's some way of using your phone in the states that isn't common knowledge.

When we visited Seas with Nemo and Friends I noticed a 'Payphone' by the bathroom area. I was so shocked since I had not see one in such a long time I took a photo of it. I wanted to have it to show my boys when they get older. I guess if you bring a calling card that might work.

if you have a care -- you can purchase 2 $30 trac phones from Walmart . dshoudl get you through 2 weeks. no credit card required.

I'm with Rogers with a pay as you go phone. I haven't checked with them but when I was in the States last year my phone didn't work.

If you don't mind my asking about how much was the states texting add on? We're with Bell and are going with my brother and sister-in-law and are trying to think up ways to communicate with them that won't cost a fortune while in the world!

We're with Bell too. Just give your provider a call and ask how much it will cost for a month's worth of texts and voice in the US. When we called I think it was about $40 for x number of texts and x number of minutes. JCan't remember exactly, but it seemed like a reasonable amount since we weren't going to use data.

I can't think of any reason why your Rogers phone wouldn't work in the US unless you were in a cell dark spot.

Dont know if you have a smart phone but there is free wireless now at the world(sometimes spotty) you can try email. I have not tried this but was thinking about doing this with on my up coming trip

I can't think of any reason why your Rogers phone wouldn't work in the US unless you were in a cell dark spot.

I wonder if it has something to do with being 'pay as you go'. That's what our son had too and it wouldn't work in Florida or California.

if you have a car -- you can purchase 2 $30 trac phones from Walmart . should get you through 2 weeks. no credit card required.

we did this our last trip and it worked great for us. you can also buy @ Walgreen's. cheaper versions are available @ Radio Shack - some phones come with free minutes - or you may need to buy some airtime cards.

I have Roger's Pay as You Go phone and it works in the States but it's not cheap. We are using 2-way radios to stay in touch if we have to split. :thumbsup2

We are with Fido and in the past Rogers and never had a problem we always buy a travel package for around 30$ for 100 mins thats all we need. Now most places have WI-Fi so if you have a smart phone like an iphone you can use face time and imessage over the WI-FI and not cost you a thing

we did this our last trip and it worked great for us. you can also buy @ Walgreen's. cheaper versions are available @ Radio Shack - some phones come with free minutes - or you may need to buy some airtime cards.

IMO, this is the only way to go. We have been doing this for years. One year we used it over our Christmas vacation @ WDW, then on a Carribean cruise
( it also worked in San Juan, St Thomas and St Croix) and then lent it to friends to use at WDW over March break. We used over 250 minutes at a cost of $30.00!

Agree on the Trac Phones. We finally went this way on our last trip. We are all with Virgin Mobile and the cost of the U.S. plan add on was ridiculous IMO and gave you very little.
It was cheaper to get the two Trac Phones that came with airtime cards, and we still have plenty left over for future trips:)

DH has a Rogers pay as you go and it worked this year at WDW. We put $100 on the card annually and as long as there is money on the phone it should work. The charge is $2.00 a minute. We also have two iphones with us that has US voice pkgs. on them and they are what we really use. He only uses his after the race to find us.

Nepean

Interesting, I was just wondering about this.

I have a Telus phone, but no plan, it's just pay and talk, and I don't think you can text with it (I wouldn't want to anyways)..

Not sure what plan my dad is on, if he is on one..

We will be staying on site, so not really wanting to rent a car and buy prepaid phones at Walmart or wherever.. Not the first day, anyways..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter