Phone vs online dining reservations

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reservations' started by TangerineZoe, Apr 24, 2013.

1. TangerineZoe

TangerineZoe Earning My Ears

Is there any difference/advantage to calling in vs making an online dining reservation, or calling the restaurant directly? Long shot, but we're trying to get reservations at Ohana. We have backup reservations at Kona, but wanted to give this a shot. :T

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

No, it's the same system. Sometimes if the website isn't working properly they can help if you call, but the best way around that is (if you're doing 180 days) try the website at 6 AM eastern, and if it doesn't work then call at 7.

You can't call 'Ohana directly to make a reservation. All reservations for Disney-operated restaurants must be made through the Disney reservation service.

4. TangerineZoe

Thanks! Guess it's back to stalking for cancellations lol

5. gretchenohar@hotmail

gretchenohar@hotmail <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Hi TangerineZoe,

I'm going to cut & paste what I just posted on another thread, because I think it might be appropriate to what you're asking:

I was just on the phone with Disney Dining because a friend of mine was cancelling a reservation that I wanted. She told me when she cancelled, and I was on the computer with browser open and ready to go. I kept trying for several minutes, but coming up with "no times available". So I also called on the phone while continuing on with my computer. The CM at Disney Dining was able to secure the ADR - even tho the computer was still showing no availability. When I asked why, she explained that cancelled ADR's are not released to the public until 0600 the following day, but the CM's can see the cancellations immediately.

While I had such a nice CM on the phone, I asked her if she could do anything about a reservation at BOG. She explained that they were not taking any new ADR's there at least thru August. She also said they would not be taking any walk-ups for dinner thru that time. I don't know if the info is correct - and it won't keep me from trying - but that's not the first time I've heard that about BOG.

One thing you should know tho, is that the on-line reservation system opens at 0600, while the phone system doesn't start until 0700. So, if you want a particularly valuable ADR, you might want to try going online early - then calling if necessary.

Good luck!

6. TangerineZoe

Thank you! That's good to know!! Now I just need someone to cancel lol

7. taylor3297

taylor3297 DIS Veteran

Even if you have to wait until 7 to call, you still have a good chance of getting what you want. Tuesday morning, I could not get the website to let me make ADRs. So, I called at 7 AM. Got everything I wanted, at the times I wanted. I even managed to get BOG.

8. TangerineZoe

Stupid question, but these are all east coast times right? :P I'm either going to have to get up early or stay up late lol

9. ThisIsTheYear

ThisIsTheYear Too far from Mickey!<br><a href="http://www.disboa

Yes, EST. :thumbsup2

10. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

I don't think this is correct. I cancelled a BOG reservation this week and it appeared for booking online immediately.

11. mommyrosa2

mommyrosa2 DIS Veteran

Normally I would say online would be faster and easier but not now with the new system. I got so fed up with the website timing out and delaying, that I now just call. As for O'Hana, don't give up since there are always people changing and cancelling ressies, I would literally keep trying daily, if you really want to dine there. Good Luck!

12. gretchenohar@hotmail

I sure hope it continues to happen that way for the rest of us still looking for those ADR's for BOG! Who knows - maybe they're just trying to discourage us? But I've been checking several times a day & have never seen an opening yet for my week...

13. angelabrezovsky

angelabrezovsky Mouseketeer

If my day to book is on November 10th, thats our first day there, when will I be ble to book the reservation? 180 days out or 190 days out if I am staying on property?

14. Wood Nymph

Wood Nymph DIS Veteran

Your first day to book an ADR is 180 days before your check in date. At that time your will be able to book ADR's for the remaining days of your stay up to ten days. So if your stay is ten days long or less you can make ADR's for all the days of your stay. If your stay is more than ten days long, then you would have to call back later to get ADR's for those later days.

15. DisneyAggieMom

DisneyAggieMom Earning My Ears

When I called in to make ADR, they said that for larger parties, sometimes the online system will split you between two tables. So, I always call to be sure that we are all seated at the same table...I would have been very disappointed if half of our party was across the restaurant!

16. tofubeast

tofubeast DIS Veteran

I concur. I coordinated with someone who was cancelling BoG, and I was able to snag the ADR online immediately.

17. purple figment

purple figment DIS Veteran

How big is your group?

It's not the online system that will split up large parties. If you search for a table for 10 people that's what it will look for. It isn't going to look for a table for 6 and a table for 4 and book those...unless you specifically make one res for 6, then look for another res for 4 and book it separately.

It is up to the CM at the restaurant to determine where you'll be seated. The CM on the dining reservation line cannot guarantee it. Most people prefer to be at one table, but it depends on the circumstances when you arrive at the restaurant. As much as possible the CMs will try to seat you altogether or at least at adjacent tables, but it's not always possible. If you are a very large group you have the best chance if your reservation is at opening time when tables can more easily be put together. If it's at the busiest time you may have to wait longer or it may not be possible.

18. trishwal

trishwal Convince me to take our family to Disneyland.

Allright, So I have a BOG ADR for Saturday, June 22 at 7:20 pm for 13 people that I'm going to have to cancel. 4 of those are already spoken for if we can coordinate a cancellation. Since it's BOG they are reserved with a CC and I didn't want to actually transfer the reservation number to the other party because it's not someone I know in person.

What's the best way to proceed to make sure that you DISboard pals are the ones that get the ADR?

Our dad was going to take all of us before his health got too bad and...well..we waited too long. Here's hoping he can beat this latest assault to his health (got dxed with stage 3, poss stage 4 cancer two weeks ago..) and that we can reschedule!!!! I love Disney so much, it's the best place to forget everything and just have a magical time...preaching to the choir :)

19. gretchenohar@hotmail

I can't answer your question, Trishwal - but I can offer you Pixie Dust, thoughts, and prayers for you & your dad.

20. trishwal

trishwal Convince me to take our family to Disneyland.

Thanks for the pixie dust!!!! All positivity is the right way to go here :)

21. flafan

flafan Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if you need a ADR for Beaches and Cream at The Beach Club? :mickeybar