Phil's Adventures in Hong Kong Disneyland - April 2016 *new June 29th - link to PTR added*

Wow, that coaster is awesome! That's a really long backwards part too.

Glad you got back in for a few more hours of fun!

I am so glad you were able to go back! The Grizzly area seems amazing! I do wish 7DMT was longer like that! I am always a fan of backwards rides. The first one I did was The Mummy at Universal, and since then, I wish all rides had a backwards element! Well maybe not IASW. Hearing that song in reverse may hold demonic messages....

I fell a bit behind but I'm caught up again!

Firstly, as I haven't been on the train at WDW I can't say what I think of it but the little aliens in Tomorrowland are adorable. Facing outward does seem a bit odd for me though. I hate when I'm on the metro and not facing the direction the train is moving, it makes me feel off.

Also, the theme of Autopia there looks incredible, much better than ours.

I watched Paint the Night on youtube and it looks spectacular, your gifs just second that. I need to see it in person sometime.

As for your sightseeing, it looks like Hong Kong is gorgeous and going to see some sights while you were there seems like a great idea.

I'm jealous of the metro light thing too. Ours just has a screen that says what station is coming up as we approach it but you have to look at the maps to know what your progress is.

Your glass floored experience though? Nope, nope, nope, nope. You couldn't pay me. With my fear of heights that is my worst nightmare.

Wow, that's a lot of steps to reach the big Buddha, but it looks like it was worth it.

That chocolate fountain is insane. I want one.

Edit: I'm always catching up while you're writing updates it seems.

Mickey and Minnie are adorable in those outfits.

The Runaway Mine Trains seem really interesting and I'm glad you were able to go back and experience them.

The way you talk up Mystic Manor is making me want to ride it so much more.

The little touches on the train like the Aliens I think is great - wish they had more of that in WDW. I guess I got used to the facing outward between Disneyland and then it is like the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch - but yeah, is a bit odd. And I definitely need to face forward on the metros here!

Totally agree about autopia - so much better than what we have and would think it wouldn't be that hard to upgrade the versions in the states ... maybe even try to get Tesla or someone to sponsor it

I really can't say enough good things about Pain the Night - it's just amazing and the music helps so much keep the energy up. Totally a rumor now but hearing it from multiple places is that WDW will get Paint he Nights starting in October for the 45th (hearing mixed things if they are taking it from Disneyland or getting it as well)

Touring Hong Kong was really cool - just so many things that are totally different than what I have around me

They've definitely been enhancing the subways in NYC so they are getting similar - but still was neat to see the entire map laid out and made it very easy to know where you'd have to go for connections, etc.

That glass floor gondola is definitely not for those with a fear of heights - and it got pretty high at points!

I know! I've never seen a chocolate fountain like that - it was really cool!

I did like the unique outfits a number of the characters had - but the lines were always really long and they stopped meeting at 5pm every day which added to that I am sure

The runaway mine train ride was really cool - I am very glad I got to try it out ... though I think it will really amplify how short 7DMT is for me next time I ride that

Mystic Manor is beyond cool! Hope they bring something like that to the States

I'm glad you were able to sneak some more time in at the park!

Love the posters- I too love that element in the US parks!

Mickey & Minnie look so cute in their outfits.

Wow, the Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars sound awesome! It sounds as if they combine alot of the fun elements of those others rides! I'm glad you were able to get back to the park if only to ride that! Oh and of course another spin on Mystic Manor ;)

I am glad it worked out as well - I mean, who the heck knows if I will ever get the chance to go back, and I had the time - otherwise I just would have gone back the hotel and/or walked around town a bit more

Agree about the posters and glad it continued in this park!

The unique outfits they had in the park were really cool - but the lines were always really long and the cut off those meets at 5pm

That is how I felt exactly - that it took a lot of fun elements from various rides and put it into one family friendly level coaster!

Catching up. Loved your pics from HK proper. Looks like you covered a bit of ground. That view from the office is wonderful!
Great update from HKDL. Looking forward to the next edition.

Thank you so much! I think I did pretty good getting to see a nice variety of things without running myself ragged

I love Mickey & Minnie's outfits - super cute!

Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars sounds pretty cool! I really think that some of the attractions at the international parks really show how imaginative and inventive imagineering can really be!

The queue for Mystic Manor sounds pretty awesome. I love when queues have some unique stuff to look at - it makes the waiting a little less boring and definitely helps add to the anticipation for the ride!

Sorry you missed the Mickey and the Wonderous Book show ... but now you have an excuse to go back to Hong Kong Disneyland!

They did have cute, unique outfits and I thought it was nice they had Mickey and Minnie meeting together there - but the line was just always too long

Fully agree - and I notice some of the best rides are not tied to any existing characters, etc. - the best ideas seem to be when they have the most freedom!

yeah, well, good to have excuses to go back ... even though it is fairly unlikely, but you never know!

Wow, that ride sounds amazing. It would be so cool if they'd add a few more bigger rides to WDW, but it is cool they separate the parks enough to make each unique. I love the Mystic Manor too, cool you got another ride on that.

The runaway mine cars coaster was really neat and showed how you can have a fun coaster without needing a super high mountain - I thought that aspect was very creative. Though I think it will amplify things to me how short 7DMT is next time I ride it

Wow, that coaster is awesome! That's a really long backwards part too.

Glad you got back in for a few more hours of fun!

Yeah, definitely a pretty long backwards part! I am glad I got some more time too ... who knows if I will ever get back there!

I am so glad you were able to go back! The Grizzly area seems amazing! I do wish 7DMT was longer like that! I am always a fan of backwards rides. The first one I did was The Mummy at Universal, and since then, I wish all rides had a backwards element! Well maybe not IASW. Hearing that song in reverse may hold demonic messages....

The mummy is a great ride - one of the first rollercoasters I rode as a younger person that really stood out to me!

lla retra dlrow llams a sti!!!!

Playing catch up again!

Thanks for sharing your photos of the city. That panoramic is awesome! Love the selfie with Big Buddha! That's definitely frame worthy, Phil!

Your meals looked really good. It's always helps to be an adventurous eater and try new things.

Glad your were able to work in some more time at Disney. Grizzly Gulch looks fantastic! I think with the combinations of the different coasters you described, that could become a favorite. Now if I could just get over there to ride it...

Whew, all caught up!

Really enjoyed your Paint the Night gifs. I hope they keep that in DL for awhile, because I would absolutely love to see it in person, but we won't be there before the end of all the 60th stuff and I don't see myself getting to HKDL anytime soon!

So weird to see what is basically the DL castle with mountains behind it!

Thanks for sharing some of your pics from other sites on your trip. I think I would have been way too nervous and intimidated by the language barrier to venture out on my own! And a glass bottom gondola? No way in heck!! That looks scary! lol

That roller coaster sounds AWESOME!

Bummer about missing out on the show yet again.

06_Castle%20and%20car.jpg

It's so weird to see a castle similar to Sleeping Beauty's and not see the Matterhorn Mountain right next to it! But it's really cool to see real mountains in the background!

Holy goodness this is a great ride! The best way I can describe it is that it is about the intensity of 7 Dwarfs Mine Trian, but about 2.5 times longer, has the animatronics and backwards section of Expedition Everest (though this has bears that actual work, rather than a disco yeti) and then an added launch like rock n roller coaster. And it is neat that it has 2 separate lift areas plus the launch, so it never gets super high, but has a lot going on. Just really cool - and very unique!

This ride looks awesome! And it seems so long while watching the video. Very cool!

Playing catch up again!

Thanks for sharing your photos of the city. That panoramic is awesome! Love the selfie with Big Buddha! That's definitely frame worthy, Phil!

Your meals looked really good. It's always helps to be an adventurous eater and try new things.

Glad your were able to work in some more time at Disney. Grizzly Gulch looks fantastic! I think with the combinations of the different coasters you described, that could become a favorite. Now if I could just get over there to ride it...

Thank you - definitely got some good pictures/memories from the trip I think

I liked that the food was a bit different (at least for an American pallet) but there was a lot of variety so I think most people could find something they would eat

It was such a fun coaster and really gave me the feeling of a better and longer 7DMT, as far as thrill level so i think a lot of people and kids would enjoy it

Whew, all caught up!

Really enjoyed your Paint the Night gifs. I hope they keep that in DL for awhile, because I would absolutely love to see it in person, but we won't be there before the end of all the 60th stuff and I don't see myself getting to HKDL anytime soon!

So weird to see what is basically the DL castle with mountains behind it!

Thanks for sharing some of your pics from other sites on your trip. I think I would have been way too nervous and intimidated by the language barrier to venture out on my own! And a glass bottom gondola? No way in heck!! That looks scary! lol

That roller coaster sounds AWESOME!

Bummer about missing out on the show yet again.

Well, the latest rumors I am seeing is Paint the Night will leave DL after the 60th celebration is over in September and then come to WDW in November to kick of the 45th anniversary ... but who knows. Glad you enjoyed the gifs though!

My understanding is this is modeled exactly after the DL Castle and good point at how weird it does look in a different setting

There is so much English in Hong Kong that it was soooo easy to get around. and other than a couple of super small, local restaurants everywhere we went people spoke really good English.

They did have godolas without glass bottoms as well - and they were cheaper!

Grizzly Gulch Mine Train was really great - so much fun and not too thrilling that I think most people and kids would enjoy it

It's so weird to see a castle similar to Sleeping Beauty's and not see the Matterhorn Mountain right next to it! But it's really cool to see real mountains in the background!

This ride looks awesome! And it seems so long while watching the video. Very cool!

My understanding is this is modeled exactly after the DL Castle and good point at how weird it does look in a different setting without the Matterhorn, etc. (though I guess that is how it looked at DL on opening day)

That is one thing I loved about the Grizzly Gulch Mine Train was how long the ride was! I bet it will make the 7DMT seem even shorter next time I get on it!

Well, the latest rumors I am seeing is Paint the Night will leave DL after the 60th celebration is over in September and then come to WDW in November to kick of the 45th anniversary ... but who knows.
Whoa, I hadn't heard this - that would be amazing, since we'll be there early December!

Whoa, I hadn't heard this - that would be amazing, since we'll be there early December!

Obviously nothing confirmed but it has come out more officially that the Disneyland Forever fireworks will end in September so leads some credence to the overall idea

Definitely making me glad I got to Disneyland when we did, despite the crowds

Chapter 13 - Dinner With a View

First off - sorry for the delay in updates. We had an off site at work and then with everything that happened in the Orlando area and how that impacted the DIS podcast team, etc. - just was hard to be motivated to work on this trip report. But I do want to keep going and finish this up before our next trip which we leave for in less than a month!

Also, a big Happy Father's Day to all the Disney Dads out there!

So after missing out on the Mickey and the Wondrous Book yet again, I decided to head to one of my favorite parts of this park - Tomorrowland. And more specifically, for another spin on Space Mountain. I still can't believe how short the wait is at this ride as there was a CM out front practically begging people to come ride.

03_Space%20Mountain.jpg

After another great ride I decided to check out something that is right next to Space Mountain and that I passed on the way - Stitch Encounter! I know, I know the Stitch attraction at WDW is terrible but I was intrigued by the fact it had a sign indicating when next show was and what language it would be in. And I have to say, it was actually kinda cool. It was like Turtle Talk with Crush in that it was animated but interacted with the crowd. It had a few unique elements in that in that he took a picture of members of the crowd at one point and then showed it and then at the end there was a chase through the spaceship and you had to shout out if you wanted Stitch to take the left or right direction, etc.

I definitely would welcome this version to replace what is at WDW ;)

01_Stitch%20entry.jpg
02_Stitch%201%20ride.jpg

When I came out of Stitch, I saw these guys patrolling around. They were so great and talking about they were keeping everyone safe and if you have any information about any rebels you should report it, etc. They didn't have a meet place or anything, but they would pause quick for photos ... or in my case, a quick selfie

04_Storm%20Troopers.jpg
05_Storm%20Trooper%20Selfie.jpg

After this bonus encounter I was feeling hungry (I realized I hadn't really had a ton to eat that day to that point) and wanted to try something different so I checked out the Royal Banquet Hall in Fantasyland. This is the main quick service location in Fantasyland and I thought it had a good sounding menu. FYI - at the time the currency exchange was about 7.5 HKD to 1 USD

06_Menu.jpg

I opted for the Shrimp Wonton Noodle Bowls - which included a bowl of soup and a drink - it was really good! The wontons had nice big chunks of shrimp and the portion was huge. I also found a spot with a nice view and could even see the train go by behind the tea cups. Was just a nice setting and a nice break to sit and pause for a bit.

07_lunch.jpg
08_Lunch%20view.jpg

Then back to Tomorrowland (can you tell I liked this area of the park?) ... past the construction for the new Iron Man attraction (love that the construction walls said "Stark Expo" and over to Buzz Lightyear, which, with the construction, was a bit tucked in the corner. As you can see from the sign, another long wait ;)

09_Iron%20Man%20ride.jpg
10_Buzz%20entrance.jpg

This is of the style like at Disneyland in California with the detachable guns with definitely helps a lot - I still stink at this ride though:
11_Buzz%20instructions.jpg
12_Buzz%20score.jpg

After this I passed by an ice cream stand and I didn't get any but I liked all the different versions in addition to the traditional Mickey Bar:

13_Ice%20cream%20treats.jpg

Then one more spin on Space Mountain before heading out of Tomorrowland

14_Space%20Mountain.jpg

continued next post ...

Chapter 14 - Another Trip With Old Friends
I had some time before I needed to line up for the evening shows and since I had enjoyed their version of an attraction the first time so thought I would there for another trip ... no, not Space Mountain yet again, this time I was headed back to It's a Small World. They had turned on the lights and I thought it was looking cool:
15_IASW%20outside%20with%20lights.jpg

I took way too many pictures of the Disney characters in the ride so just sharing a few that I think came out ok - or at least better than the first ride ;)

It was dark but I got a decent shot of Peter Pan spinning around the moon that held Wendy

16_Peter%20Pan%20and%20Wendy.jpg

Close up of Apu:

17_Abu.jpg

Lion King characters ... love that they made the sun look like the Lion King logo

18_Lion%20King.jpg

Pocahontas and friends:

19_Pocahontas.jpg

Another great ride and further cemented to me that I would love some of these updates at the WDW version - just was enough changes to the music, etc. so that it wasn't the exact same thing for 10+ minutes

Got an exterior shot as well as it got a bit darker - thought the facade looked really cool with the colored lights:

21_IASW%20Outside.jpg

All of fantasy land was light up with colored lights and the Tea Cups looked really cool lit up as well (I didn't ride again though)

22_Fantasyland%20night.jpg
23_tea%20cups%20night.jpg

At this point I wanted to head towards Main St. to line up for Paint the Night and thought I would cut through the Castle ... unfortunately it was closed already

25_back%20of%20castle.jpg
26_back%20of%20castle%20closed.jpg

They waved us through a side passage in the Castle that was kinda cool - it was really narrow (would be tight for people to pass each other) and felt like something you would really find in a Castle. It led out on the side over by Tomorrowland and right by the Snow White grotto which I didn't even realize they had here, so that was a nice surprise:

27_Snow%20White%20grotto.jpg

And then I made it around and worked my way in place for the parade ... but that will come next update

TTFN

Great update!

Im really surprised space mountain has short waits there.

Stitch encounter there sounds better than the stitch attraction in WDW. I really like how they accommodate multiple languages in Hong Kong.

From what I've heard iron man will be just like star tours.

I love the lights on everything in fantasyland at night.

I am glad you were able to pick up where you left off! I love the Tea Cups lightening effects. I also liked the Ice Cream choices, what looks like a Stitch Paw Bar? Was that a Lotso Bar also? Bet it is strawberry flavored!

So nice you fit in another day!

I find it so strange hat in some parks one ride can have such a long wait and in others no wait at all. Was the park just not crowded or people just don't like space mountain?

The food looks yummy! Nice to not be burgers and fries, I know you can get other things at WDW I just think burgers always seem to be the best option at the larger quick service....we always seem to end up at cosmic rays at least once a trip!

A trip in a month! Hope you'll do a TR (did I miss a PTR?)

Space looks so neat - and glad that their Stitch attraction is neat - would be SO awesome if they updated the WDW one with something worth visiting.

Mmm lunch looks delicious (well minus the shrimp!) and the frozen treats are cute!

Beautiful pics of IaSW, love the façade.

And love the snow white grotto, how cute! love all the different details in the parks.

Happy Belated Father's Day, Phil!

I'm glad the Stitch attraction was much better than WDWs!!

Great selfie with the Stormtrooper :)

OoOoh the different ice creams are so cool- I spy Lotso and Minnie!

Those facade pictures of IASW are so beautiful!

That Stitch attraction sounds interesting ... I'd be all for them replacing Stitch's Great Escape with that.
Then again, I'd be all for them replacing Stitch's Great Escape with a pile of bricks. So maybe I'm the wrong person to ask.

It's a Small World all lit up like that looks beautiful. It actually reminds me a lot of when I went to Disneyland and saw the Christmas version of IASW ... just a little less Christmasy. I think the lights really add something special to the facade.

I bet I'd be the only one there standing in front of this and trying to figure out what time the next showing was! :lmao: Not used to seeing times like that.

Now THIS Stitch attraction is something i'd be on board with and i'm sure tons of fans would agree! Wonder when WDW execs will ever figure out that NO ONE likes Stitches Great Escape :confused3

FYI - at the time the currency exchange was about 7.5 HKD to 1 USD

How difficult was this? See, another issue i'd run into. I'd probably give them WAY too much money without even knowing!

This looks really delicious.

Ah cute!

So so pretty.

They waved us through a side passage in the Castle that was kinda cool - it was really narrow (would be tight for people to pass each other) and felt like something you would really find in a Castle.

Is it similar to the two small passages they have at DLR? I love using them and they're never really busy since they're a little hidden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter