Phil's Adventures in Hong Kong Disneyland - April 2016 *new June 29th - link to PTR added*

Well I have to say you are off to an exciting start!! Love the Disney magic on the train!! Can not wait for this trip report!!

Looks like a great report! I am actually doing some work on and off in southeast Asia up to the end of the year, so I am trying to arrange a stop over in Hong Kong. It hasn't worked out yet, but I'm hoping to get there in the coming months. Looking forward to the rest!

And I may have to check out another HKDL report after that very subtle hint from @PrincessInOz :p

:welcome: I hope you can make it work out and get to stop in Hong Kong. The city in general was pretty cool but if you can fit in a trip to a Disney park, even better!

And yes, I think we all need to read @PrincessInOz's trip report ;)

Loving your report and looking forward to more. Thinking of visiting next month!

:welcome: Thank you - and hope you get to visit, it was really fun! Not that I am an expert but if you have any questions, let me know

So I'm not in the Podcast Forum - think I'm legally allowed to post here? :)

Thanx for doing this report, and letting me know about it. Like Sam said - I'll probably never get a chance to visit, so it's great to read/see somebody's pics that I "know" at least. That Mickey-themed train is SO cool! I would love to meet BayMax some day, and do a "fist bump" and sound effect with him. :) As others have said, the hills in back of the castle are really pretty, and you took a great pic!

:welcome: Heidi! Thanks for venturing into uncharted territory. I won't tell the mods if you don't ;)

I definitely never thought I would get to visit Hong Kong so you new know but hope you enjoy visiting via this trip report.

The train was pretty darn cool and was fun to meet Baymax and check that box off, was a fun meet. Agree about the castle with the hills in the background - made for a unique look!

You made it to Hong Kong!

I have been a bad DIS-er and I haven't been around much (life has been crazy).

BUT, I also visited Hong Kong and HKDL - I think I was there on 4/4. We just missed each other! Unfortunately Grizzly Glutch was closed for my visit ... :(

But I still had a lot of fun!

:welcome: I did! Totally get how life can get in the way but glad you are back! Oh wow, that's funny we just missed each other. Grizzly Gulch was closed when we went as well ... one of the reasons I went back for a second day - it was back open then! (and totally worth it!)

Well I have to say you are off to an exciting start!! Love the Disney magic on the train!! Can not wait for this trip report!!

:welcome: Kathy! The train was really cool and got you in the spirit before you even get to the park. Hoping to get to the next update later today!

Hi! I am joining. I really like your pictures so far! I haven't heard or seen much about Hong Kong Disneyland so i am looking forward to reading!

:welcome: thanks for joining! I hadn't seen that much either before prepping for this trip - so hopefully I can give a good flavor and account of the park

Chapter 4 - Exploring New Lands of Toys and Mystics

After we got out of the Philharmagic Theater it was still raining, but not that hard so we decided to brave it and head to the location we originally planned to do first - which was to head to Toy Story Land and then through that to Mystic Point.

Those two lands, along with Grizzly Gultch (which was closed this day) were added after the opening date and are located outside the train loop - so we had to pass under the train tracks:

01_Entrance%20to%20Toy%20Story%20Land.jpg

After bearing to the left (and following the sing that says "This Way <-) the full of Toy Story Land came into view:

02_Toy%20Story%20Land.jpg

It definitely is pretty cute and there are a lot of details - in one spot you can see an imprint of Andy's Shoe in the concrete. The Woody statue there talks (just noise coming out, the mouth doesn't move or anything) and welcomes you in which was pretty neat. Where he is as well is where the character meet spot is. We saw Woody, Jessie, Lotsa, and the Green Army Men meeting at various times.

The orange track in the middle of the above picture is the RC Car ride and is where we headed first. The ride basically lifts the car up one side and then backwards up the other and back and forth again. I was planning to film the ride but they wouldn't let me have the camera out so the only picture I got of the ride itself is of the queue walkway which was neat as it was set up like you were walking on one of those old slot car tracks:

03_RC%20Car%20walkway.jpg

It was a fun ride though since it was still raining a bit the raid kinda pelted us as we moved forward. It was cool when we would come back down the track as it would look like the rain was chasing after us.

After that we headed over to the Army Men Parachute. It had a really cool queue that was set in a toy army barracks

04_Parachute%20jump%20line.jpg

And then they had this Game Boy like screen to provide the instructions for getting onto the ride - I thought it was pretty neat that they created these 8-bit looking videos for it:

05_Gameboy%20video%20screen.jpg
Parachute%20Instructions.gif

Overall it is a pretty fun ride - I am sure kids would love it. The only thing is that a lot of the seats face off into nothing. I think I would have liked to ride it again facing more of the park - though with the rain/clouds, not sure how much I would see anyway

06_Parachute%20Jump.jpg

From there we walked to the land I was most excited to see, and really, one of the main reasons I wanted to visit Hong Kong Disneyland: Mystic Point, or even more specifically - to see the main attraction there: Mystic Manor:

07_Mystic%20Manor.jpg

For those of you unfamiliar with this attraction, it is a dark ride of sorts where you travel around in vehicles on a trackless ride system and explores the manor. Some people compare it to the Haunted Mansion, I think largely because this park doesn't have an actual Haunted Mansion - but it really is very different. I think it is more like what Ratatouille is in Disneyland Paris and to me it is what Journey in the Imagination should be. Also, it has a direct connection to the Society of Explorers and Adventurers (the SEA) which is the Adventurer's Club that used to be in Downtown Disney and which was one of my absolute favorite things in all of Walt Disney World.

It also might be my new favorite Disney attraction. It is just so well done with an amazing level of detail and it really does feel like they pushed things from a technology standpoint which is a classic Disney hallmark. The trip is almost worth it just to ride this attraction. Fortunately, there was next to no line so we got to ride it and then get right back on it!.

08_Mystic%20Manor%20sign.jpg
10_Mission.jpg
11_Explorers.jpg
09_Painting.jpg

The premise of the ride is that they found a new artifact - a music box - and legend says that if you touch the crystal at the top of the music box it would bring inannimate objects to life. The monkey pictured above is Albert, and of course he touches the music box and hi jinx ensues.

Prior to the start of the ride they have a map of the manor and the rooms pictures are the ones you go through in the ride. They also have various artifacts and other painting around that you get to see in the queue:

12_Map%20of%20Manor.jpg

You Start off in a small room with a pre-show before you exit into another area to board the ride vehicles (which is probably one element that does remind me of the Haunted Mansion) - it's where you first meet an animatronic Albert and it sets up the storyline for the ride:

13_intro.jpg
Albert.gif

You will be happy to know that there is no dancing allowed on the attractions in Hong Kong Disneyland either:

14_no%20dancing.jpg

In the first room is where Albert first touches the music box and the magic comes out of it. There are lots of neat effects, but I think my favorite was one of the last rooms where it seems like part of the wall is blown out and you can see outside and a storm is raging and Albert is trying to grab the music box. That room is one where you can really appreciate the trackless ride system as you actually go around the room more than once:

music%20box.gif
storm%20room.gif

So not much more to be said - it is simply an awesome attraction and one you really have to experience to fully appreciate. Like I said, we got right back in line to ride it again. After that it was about lunch time and there is a restaurant next to the attraction called the Explorer's Club Restaurant. It has a variety of food from around Asia. The options looked really good and it was nice that it was different food but nothing crazy. Actually, if the Skipper's Canteen new menu is something like this I think it would make sense.

Ultimately I decided on getting the Tandori Chicken and Lamb Curry Combo which came with a fountain drink and cost HKD 109 which is about $14.50 USD - so a pretty good value I think. It was really quite good and between the two items was definitely enough food. I would definitely get this again, though other things looked good too. My co-worker got the vegetarian combo and she enjoyed it as well:

15_Lunch%20menu%20item.jpg
16_lunch.jpg

They have it set up with each room is a different country that is represented by the cuisine and we sat in the Indian themed room. It was definitely nice and well themed - much better than a typical quick service location!

17_lunch%20room.jpg

With that we left the new lands and returned to the main part of the park, Adventure Land to be precise.

TTFN

Continuing to enjoy!

How cool that queue for RC Cars is! I very fondly remember my MANY happy hours playing with my slot car race track! :)

That Green Army Men Parachute ride looks way cool, too bad there isn't a great view - you'd think there WOULD be! Love that Game Boy instruction screen, too cool!

Mystic Manor looks way cool too, and you brought back some great memories of the AC to me. :) Even the portrait looks kind of like a skinny Col. Suchbench (hoping I got that right). Kungaloosh! The spires (and even the Easter eggs on the front lawn) looks very "Moscow or Russian'-ish" to me. Must be showing my heritage with that thought! :)

Last edited:
I have to say that I'm glad that toy story land will be a bit better than that in Florida but I think I would still enjoy those two attractions at HKDL.

Mystic Manor is one of those attractions I really want to go to HKDL for. I haven't heard a bad thing about it, and from all of the videos and photos I've seen it looks amazing. I know that is their version of HM but I wish we could get it here in WDW or DL. It's really unfortunate that trackless rides haven't made their way to US Disney parks yet.

That restuarant looks good and well themed. I can't wait to see more!

Love this report!!! I have to say I would think the rain would make you feel right at home lol!! Seems it rains at least a little in Florida at least once each trip lol!! I think my boys would love the parachute ride in the Toy Story Area of the park. They love anything military. I though would LOVE Mystic Manor!!! That would be right up my alley!! That is the best thing about Disney.... Their attention to detail!! Eating at the Explorer's Club sounds like the right accompaniment after that ride. I would have to try each room!!

The orange track in the middle of the above picture is the RC Car ride and is where we headed first. The ride basically lifts the car up one side and then backwards up the other and back and forth again.
That sounds like a fun ride to me. I like the swinging back and forth without going upside down thing.

For those of you unfamiliar with this attraction, it is a dark ride of sorts where you travel around in vehicles on a trackless ride system and explores the manor. Some people compare it to the Haunted Mansion, I think largely because this park doesn't have an actual Haunted Mansion - but it really is very different. I think it is more like what Ratatouille is in Disneyland Paris and to me it is what Journey in the Imagination should be. Also, it has a direct connection to the Society of Explorers and Adventurers (the SEA) which is the Adventurer's Club that used to be in Downtown Disney and which was one of my absolute favorite things in all of Walt Disney World.
So not much more to be said - it is simply an awesome attraction and one you really have to experience to fully appreciate.
Very interesting! I had no idea and figured that it was another version of the Haunted Mansion. Very cool!

Looking forward to more. :goodvibes

I can't wait to read more about this trip! This was an amazing opportunity for you to have an excuse to go to a park so many never will. I'm looking forward to reading about your experience as an American in an international park mostly because I'm considering going to shanghai next year for a research trip and I think we can all guess what that means for a disney fan!

I live in HK, so it's fun to see HK Disneyland through someone else's eyes who has never been there before. Looks like you skipped the Slinky Dog ride in Toy Story Land? Caters more to kids, obviously, but still fun. :)

That tandoori chicken combo looks delicious!
Thanks for the pictures of Mystic Manor. That was still under construction when I was there. Nice to see the inside of it.

Continuing to enjoy!

How cool that queue for RC Cars is! I very fondly remember my MANY happy hours playing with my slot car race track! :)

That Green Army Men Parachute ride looks way cool, too bad there isn't a great view - you'd think there WOULD be! Love that Game Boy instruction screen, too cool!

Mystic Manor looks way cool too, and you brought back some great memories of the AC to me. :) Even the portrait looks kind of like a skinny Col. Suchbench (hoping I got that right). Kungaloosh! The spires (and even the Easter eggs on the front lawn) looks very "Moscow or Russian'-ish" to me. Must be showing my heritage with that thought! :)

Thanks Heidi! I love when they add touches like that to queues - even if not super interactive it makes it feel a bit better than just a line

I think some seats on the parachute ride had a better view. Other issue with the view was that you could see the tops of some of the show buildings (Mystic Manor, etc.) which I know Disney usually tries to avoid

Ah - I knew there was a reason I liked you! Kungaloosh to you!

I have to say that I'm glad that toy story land will be a bit better than that in Florida but I think I would still enjoy those two attractions at HKDL.

Mystic Manor is one of those attractions I really want to go to HKDL for. I haven't heard a bad thing about it, and from all of the videos and photos I've seen it looks amazing. I know that is their version of HM but I wish we could get it here in WDW or DL. It's really unfortunate that trackless rides haven't made their way to US Disney parks yet.

That restuarant looks good and well themed. I can't wait to see more!

Mystic Manor really is amazing - and I don't know why they don't bring the technology to the US. I mentioned Figment but I am sure there are other things that could be upgraded to systems like this and improve the rides 1,000%

I was very impressed by the restaurant there - especially considering it was a quick service and relatively inexpensive (well, for a theme park)

Love this report!!! I have to say I would think the rain would make you feel right at home lol!! Seems it rains at least a little in Florida at least once each trip lol!! I think my boys would love the parachute ride in the Toy Story Area of the park. They love anything military. I though would LOVE Mystic Manor!!! That would be right up my alley!! That is the best thing about Disney.... Their attention to detail!! Eating at the Explorer's Club sounds like the right accompaniment after that ride. I would have to try each room!!

Thanks so much! Yeah, this was a little different than Florida it hat the rain and clouds lingered a lot more - but I get what you are saying. I think the Parachute drop would be great for kids that are into that - it was fun and loved the queue area and "training video" - really completed the experience.

There is really nothing bad to say about Mystic Manor - just seemed like Disney done right!

That sounds like a fun ride to me. I like the swinging back and forth without going upside down thing.

Very interesting! I had no idea and figured that it was another version of the Haunted Mansion. Very cool!

Looking forward to more. :goodvibes

The RC Car ride was pretty cool - Previews I read didn't make it out to be much so I was pleasantly surprised ... it gets up pretty high and pretty vertical, but definitely doesn't go upside down

There are a few elements that make it seem like a Haunted House but definitely a different vibe than the traditional Disney Haunted Mansion - plus the ride vehicles are totally different

Thanks!

I can't wait to read more about this trip! This was an amazing opportunity for you to have an excuse to go to a park so many never will. I'm looking forward to reading about your experience as an American in an international park mostly because I'm considering going to shanghai next year for a research trip and I think we can all guess what that means for a disney fan!

:welcome: Thanks! Definitely was a good excuse to get here and was one of those things where I couldn't imagine being in Hong Kong and not going to Disneyland there!

I found it very easy as an American in Hong Kong in general but Hong Kong Disneyland specifically - a lot of people from Australia visit here so there was definitely a lot of English being spoken. I would imagine Shanghai would be a bit less Western but I am sure they will be able to handle foreign tourists. I know we complain a lot here about Shanghai (#ThanksShanghai) but it does look like it will be an amazing park!

I live in HK, so it's fun to see HK Disneyland through someone else's eyes who has never been there before. Looks like you skipped the Slinky Dog ride in Toy Story Land? Caters more to kids, obviously, but still fun. :)

:welcome: That's cool you are living in HK - I found it very easy to get around and is one place I could see myself living (though I am sure living there is different than just visiting). Yeah, with the rain we decided to skip the Slinky Dog ride and move to the indoor attraction at Mystic Manor ... it did look like it would be fun, for kids especially

That tandoori chicken combo looks delicious!
Thanks for the pictures of Mystic Manor. That was still under construction when I was there. Nice to see the inside of it.

The food was really good - and a good amount for the price and they had lots of options there as well.

Mystic Manor really was cool - great example of what Disney can do when they do it right!

Awesome tour of Toy Story Land and Mystic Manor.

It actually kind of gets me excited about what is to come in DHS. I'd like to see RC and the Green Army Men rides come over to DHS so I could try them out, but I'm also excited that they're focusing on making new attractions instead of just doing retreads of things they've already done.

Mystic Manor just looks awesome. I've heard of it, but I've never really seen what the premise was or seen any pictures from the ride. It does look pretty incredible. Thanks for sharing!

Toy Story Land! It looks so cute! Makes me excited for the upcoming land at DHS. The 2 rides sounds like they were fun, especially the RC Racers.

The outside of Mystic Manor is so beautiful. I liked hearing your description of the ride and how its not just another Haunted Mansion. Sounds really cool!! Glad you got to do it twice.

It is interesting to see Toy Story Land, especially since it is now coming to Florida. It does look very detailed from your pictures. Are there only two rides there? The one ride reminds me of the big ships that go back and forth at carnivals.

Looks pretty awesome from the outside!

I had the pleasure of seeing Mystic Manor in 2014. It's my favorite Disney attraction anywhere. It really shows what Imagineering is capable of particularly when they are free to create an original story. For a Disney Parks fan, it really is worth the trip.

I also loved the quick service next door. All the regional rooms are so unique. I remember eating in the India section. Loved the food. Loved the atmosphere.

Also the gift shop for Mystic Manor is very impressive. For anyone wanting attraction specific merch this is Mecca. I picked up a Mystic Manor music box - like the one Alfred opens. You open it and it plays the MM score. I love it!

We're heading there once again in the Oct 2017 ABD. I'm also looking forward to the new Iron Man experience as well.

I'm really enjoying your report! This is a park I doubt I'll ever get to experience myself, so I'll have to visit vicariously through you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter