Pete's rant about the family who left their son...

Halloweenqueen

Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...
at the port and went on their cruise.

This family is lying! I've adopted 3 children. EVERY child can not be adopted without a birth certificate! I am gathering from her story that this is a domestic adoption. Every child in the US is given a birth certificate at the hospital. The adopting family then applies to adopt the child through the state. They then are issued a NEW birth certificate with the child's new name and adoptive parents listed.

My adoptions were done internationally. My children had to have their foreign birth certificates in order for us to adopt them and apply for a foreign passport and their US Visa. We then readopted them in the States and received a state certificate of foreign birth (birth certificate) with their new names and our names stated as their parents.

I've used my children's foreign birth certificate to get them a US passport. These were in Chinese or Russian with English translations. I've used their foreign birth certificates to travel/cruise. This family would have had no problem using this child's first birth certificate. They could have also brought suporting adoption documents to explain the name difference. They also could have applied for a passport with his birth certificate. They could have received one in days. (The State Dept. would have accepted their adoption papers in order to issue the passport in the child's new name)

This woman obviously is LYING. They were not from Florida. The entire family flew, yet she had a friend in Florida close enough to the port to pick up the child within hours and willing to take him for a week? :furious:

She enjoyed a nice cruise without taking care of her baby. Now she is looking for a free cruise.

Bravo to Disney for putting up with this crap, but the family has already received enough perks.

Shame on the Mother AND Father for leaving their child.

I thought the same thing when I first read the story before listening to it on the podcast. Why would any mother leave her child and go on a cruise without them? :confused3

The lack of having a birth certificate didn't make sense to me either since how were you able to adopt a child and not have that? Nice to know that part of the story was off too.

She shouldn't have booked it in the first place if she knew paperwork was going to be an issue. She should have just waited for all of the paperwork to be in order!

I thought the whole story was beyond strange. How did the friend go to the house to look for the birth certificate or whatever it was? Disney had five empty verandah staterooms to upgrade these people to? A friend willing to take a baby for a week with no notice? Leaving a child you just adopted with a "friend" for a week? The whole story was bizarre and unbelievable.

Was her adoption finalized? Ours took 18 months, and we did not have big certificAtes during that time. We were able to travel with dd, but had to give notice. We also were not allowed to leave her with anyone over night, unless they were on an approved list or something.

It is still super weird that she was willing to leave the baby. I can't imagine that. We wouldn't have gone, and then made a stink, I suppose. I don't know the details... Where was this story?

Hmmm. Two parents, two kids. My husband and I talked about it and I would NEVER have left the baby, but he might have reluctantly taken the older child on the cruise. But even that seemed awful. We would not have enjoyed ourselves.

There is no way we would have left a baby for even a day for any reason (and certainly not a cruise) unless it was planned well in advance (which we suspect was the case with this family.)

I guess it takes all kinds, but this was really a sad and disturbing story. It really seems like a scam to me. Disney went above and beyond and I wish they hadn't.

On that note, have a nice Mothers Day!

Was her adoption finalized? Ours took 18 months, and we did not have big certificAtes during that time. We were able to travel with dd, but had to give notice. We also were not allowed to leave her with anyone over night, unless they were on an approved list or something.

It is still super weird that she was willing to leave the baby. I can't imagine that. We wouldn't have gone, and then made a stink, I suppose. I don't know the details... Where was this story?

I found a link. Not sure about the accuracy: http://******************/article/f...ruise-vacation-by-not-allowing-child-on-board

As annoying as this story was from start to finish [Disney Ruins Family Vacation!], there was a silver lining in the humor found in the comments to the consumerist.com article:

Who takes a nine month old on a cruise?;
Who goes on a cruise without their baby?;
and my fav --
The only tragedy in all of this is the family naming their child Beckham.

Ha-ha briandunne... "Beckham" LOL I hadn't seen that

I'm not sure if I'm way off base on my thoughts on this story but I couldn't help but think about those in charge of the adoption procedure and looking at whether or not the parents in question would have been suitable to be adopters....if I'd been in charge of that case I'd have a definite red flag going up now.

I do love a good podcast rant.

I almost drove off the side of the road when I heard this story, I was so flabergasted! I'm an adoptive parent myself, and there is just so, so, SO much wrong with this...
1. When the adoption is still in process/recently finalized, you just don't book a cruise or an international trip. You just don't. You know there will almost certainly be paperwork issues, so you just accept that for a few months in your life, you'll have to keep your family trips local. Just a very, very small price to pay for adopting a child.
2. It makes my skin crawl to think of this poor child being left while the family went on the cruise!!!! it goes against everything we know about forming good attachments with recently adopted kids. Not to mention it's just plain mean. UGH!

It sounds like the adoption was already finalized, so at this point they are just everyday idiot parents, subject to no additional scrutiny than any other idiot parent, but man... I'm concerned for ALL of their kids if this is reflective of their parenting style and priorities.

Of course this story could be true and I would laugh if it was. Because it is a great SCAM. We all know no parent would actually leave the kid behind except if it was the plan from the beginning. Lots of us actually do leave kids behind at home with auntie etc. all the time to go on vacations. So why not get a bonus out of it. They knew perfectly well that this kid was never getting on that ship all they wanted was to put on a show. They got upgrades and perks. I would believe my SCAM scenerio before I would ever believe theirs. One they had a person ready to take the kid and second they got on the boat, which we all agree we would not do, that tells me they had planned this ahead of time. If it is true at all.

Of course this story could be true and I would laugh if it was. Because it is a great SCAM. We all know no parent would actually leave the kid behind except if it was the plan from the beginning. Lots of us actually do leave kids behind at home with auntie etc. all the time to go on vacations. So why not get a bonus out of it. They knew perfectly well that this kid was never getting on that ship all they wanted was to put on a show. They got upgrades and perks. I would believe my SCAM scenerio before I would ever believe theirs. One they had a person ready to take the kid and second they got on the boat, which we all agree we would not do, that tells me they had planned this ahead of time. If it is true at all.

My thoughts exactly!

Listening to the story explained, I sat there and thought "there's no way that's possible. This woman's either a liar or an idiot. Or both." Then I listened to Pete's rant. And oh my word, let me tell you, I don't think I've cried/laughed that hard in a LONG time.

Just wanted to add something else since I'm almost positive this woman made the whole "my baby can't cruise" thing up just to garner some sympathy and a free spa treatment or something.

Here it is. As a parent, I can't think of one single person I know who would be willing, at the spur of the moment and due to my poor planning, to take my baby for an entire week so I could go on a cruise. But maybe that's just me.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Listening to the story explained, I sat there and thought "there's no way that's possible. This woman's either a liar or an idiot. Or both." Then I listened to Pete's rant. And oh my word, let me tell you, I don't think I've cried/laughed that hard in a LONG time.

Yes Pete always says it like it is, gotta love him :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter