Peru or Ecuador/Galapagos?

kmc33

DIS Veteran
Help me choose between Peru and Galapagos :) ... Has anyone done both that can give me some feedback?

Ecuador and Galapagos caught me eye. I have been reading about that and when I told DS about it, he was very excited about the wildlife and from what I have read is like no where else. However, Machu Picchu is somewhere that I would really like to go but DS and DH didn't seem as excited about that. (DS will be 13 next summer)

Here is reason I am looking harder at Peru for 2012... Last night I spoke with someone who said that in two years access at Machu Picchu will become more limited and that there will be areas that will be roped off that you can't walk to. I don't know if this is true. I tried looking it up but haven't been able to find a definitive answer. It appears that over the last several years there have been rumors of closing, but replies to this rumor seem to indicate that it is not likely since it is big tourism for Peru. However the idea of limited access may have more credibility. If anyone has any information about this, I would love to know.

Also, I would appreciate feedback from those who have been on either or both trips.

Thanks!!! :goodvibes

Hi kmc! We did both ABD trips this summer. I wrote some insights/summary on the Ecuador/Galapagos in the other existing threads on that trip.

Both trips are strenuous. I find the Peru one more strenuous than the Ec/Gal because we were dealing with uphill hikes on high altitude pretty much on a daily basis. The ruins in Peru are really worth seeing and the icing on the cake, Macchu Picchu is simply wonderful! As of date, they do limit 1000 visitors a day to visit the site and they have made several modifications and fortifications on the terraces and areas with heavy traffic to avoid the ruins eroding. I would think closing certain areas or even limiting more visitors in the future is a possibility. Most of the ruins have been restored but there are numerous spots that still needs a lot of work. Even if this is the main attraction in Peru, if they don't take care of it then nothing will be left of it for people to see, that's why I think they may consider either limiting more visitors or closing off areas that need repair. Cusco was a surprising find and I just love the city!! Peru's weaving products are of better quality than the one in Ecuador. Llamas and alpacas are not as plenty in Ecuador.

The activities in the Ec/Gal trip is a bit more varied. You have kite-flying, cooking lessons, a look at their preservation efforts on local raptors and the Andean condor. I think they added the rose farm tour next year. And of course, you have the hikes and the snorkeling activities in the islands plus seeing the wildlife up close is something special.

Either one is a win-win situation, really depends on what you want to do or see in the trip. If you can or able, do a b2b!! It'll be so worth it!!!

Thanks tufbuf! I have read some of what you have written about Ec/Galapagos which is in part what got me very excited about doing that trip! Somehow I missed that you did Peru too; maybe I was just focusing on Galapagos at the time so I didn't pay much attention to Peru write-ups.

I don't think a b2b is in the cards for us, but it is a good suggestion. Thanks for your insight on the two trips!

Hi there
we completed Peru this year and have booked the equador/ Gal trip for next summer.
Peru was an amazing trip - still have not got around to a trip report...it was our 3rd ABD and the best yet.
I guess the decision is whether ruins or animals takes your fancy....for us the andean culture was something we wished to experience (having toured chile) and Machu Piccu has been on my bucket list for ever....having now experienced that we wished to follow up with Equador.

I am sorry I cannot give you the comparison yet but I can only tell you that Peru is the trip of a lifetime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter