Peru 3/23/13 Trip Report

I never saw a single person ask for money. But people follow you around constantly trying to sell you trinkets, which gets annoying after a while. And I too hope nobody gets mad at me for saying that. :)

Thanks for the reply! I understand why they (the locals) do it, I just think it is helpful to expect it.

I'm trying to remain optimistic about this, but I'm worried. It's been six weeks since our trip and still no photo CD. I began to be concerned a couple of weeks ago, because they always came within 3 weeks for our previous ABDs. But since the literature says 4-6 weeks for delivery, I patiently waited. Today I called ABD and was told that there is a delay. They have no information on why the CDs are delayed and no estimated delivery date. :sad2: I'm afraid it will never come. The photos are one of the major reasons I travel with ABD. It's one of the few times that I'm able to get photos of my son and myself together.

I'm trying to remain optimistic about this, but I'm worried. It's been six weeks since our trip and still no photo CD. I began to be concerned a couple of weeks ago, because they always came within 3 weeks for our previous ABDs. But since the literature says 4-6 weeks for delivery, I patiently waited. Today I called ABD and was told that there is a delay. They have no information on why the CDs are delayed and no estimated delivery date. :sad2: I'm afraid it will never come. The photos are one of the major reasons I travel with ABD. It's one of the few times that I'm able to get photos of my son and myself together.
Oh, man! :( I hope it's a distribution issue and not a problem with the pictures themselves. Keeping my fingers & toes crossed for you!

Sayhello

They might have been busy with the 2014 itineraries? I'm hoping its a minor issue and that you will get your CD soon, Bobo!!!

Thank you so much for this trip report! Your pictures are breathtaking. This is a trip La Chica and I have been considering, although now she's been pushing the Galapagos one. I'll have to have her read this.

Just a note - we haven't rcvd our pics from our March 2013 Costa Rica trip yet either but it's just about at the 7 week mark so hopefully it's on its way.

Thank you so much for this trip report! Your pictures are breathtaking. This is a trip La Chica and I have been considering, although now she's been pushing the Galapagos one. I'll have to have her read this.

Just a note - we haven't rcvd our pics from our March 2013 Costa Rica trip yet either but it's just about at the 7 week mark so hopefully it's on its way.

Thanks! We traveled to the Galapagos in 2011. It was awesome! Maybe you should combine the two. :thumbsup2

When I spoke to ABD yesterday they said the CDs from some of the trips (plural) were delayed. There haven't been many trips so far this year, so your's may be delayed too. For our last ABD we got the CD after 2 weeks.

Peru is known for being a tough country, I think I remember reading somewhere else about gunshots, and the guides saying it was fireworks.

Peru is on my list, I dream of hiking the Inca Trail someday, but it is interesting reading this trip report, I am glad it was overall a good trip, but it does sound like Disney has room to improve and in fact the only trips I have read about issues is the Peru trip, which I suspect may be the product of the country not the company.

It may be one that Disney needs to pull out of.

I hope you get your CD soon, and if anything it is an amazing cultural experience.

Thanks for the report!

I want to add a little note here for anybody who might be thinking about booking a pre-day on this trip. I made the erroneous assumption that ABD's price and the hotel's price would be close and I figured it was just easier to book with ABD - no risk of having to switch rooms, etc. But ABD charged $323.30 for the room that is only $175 (including taxes) on the Casa Andina website. For $148 dollars saving, I wouldn't have minded changing rooms. I had to go down to the front desk anyway, because at checkout time for my pre-day, my key card stopped working and it had to be re-programmed. The front desk staff said it was due to switch from my pre-day to the first tour day.

ETA: I forgot about the transfer. I guess you give that up if you book it yourself. Since we didn't get the transfer anyway, it wouldn't have made a difference, but of course I didn't know that ahead of time. But you can book your transfer from the airport to Miraflores before you leave for about $25.

Bobo, did you have enough time at Machu Picchu? How many people got stomach bugs?

Michelle

Bobo, did you have enough time at Machu Picchu? How many people got stomach bugs?

Michelle

No, I would have liked to have had much more time at Machu Picchu. It felt very rushed. We had at least 2 hours in town before time for our train, where there was nothing to do but browse through the same trinkets and souvenirs we saw just about every place we visited. So I'm not sure why we didn't stay longer. It still would not have been nearly enough time. In hindsight, I should have chosen a trip that stays at the Sanctuary Lodge or at least at Aguas Calientes where the train station is located. Considering that Machu Picchu is the highlight of the trip, it would be nice to stay at a hotel nearby so you have the entire day and if you have free time the next day you can take the bus back on your own. On the other hand, Sol y Luna was awesome. We spent 4 nights there though, so the time could have been split between Sol y Luna and a hotel Aguas Calientes. There was a Lindblad/Nat Geo tour at Sol y Luna when we were there and I struck up a conversation with a lady who had just come from the Galapagos (and had some of the same guides we had on our trip in 2011) and their group was spending a few night at Sol y Luna and then staying at the Sanctuary Lodge. Interestingly, if you watch the Peru video on the Lindblad website, the guide in the video is our ABD guide Harvey.

I know of 3 people with the stomach bug. There were several other folks who weren't feeling well, but I'm not sure if they had the same problem or if the altitude was affecting them.

Bobo, I did back out of the trip this year as I am a big chicken; but am thinking about next year. As I am carefully studying this I agree with you. A night at Sanctuary Lodge sounds amazing, especially, as you say, that Machu Picchu is the highlight so why not spend an extra night there and not rush through? Then you wouldn't have to rush back down to get the evening train, and could even hike around the next morning as well.

Thanks for all your good information and insights!!

Bobo, I did back out of the trip this year as I am a big chicken; but am thinking about next year. As I am carefully studying this I agree with you. A night at Sanctuary Lodge sounds amazing, especially, as you say, that Machu Picchu is the highlight so why not spend an extra night there and not rush through? Then you wouldn't have to rush back down to get the evening train, and could even hike around the next morning as well.

Thanks for all your good information and insights!!

You are most welcome. If you decide in the future to take the ABD trip, I would suggest not walking up to the Moon or Sun Gate, unless it is really important to you to say you walked on the Inca trail. I wish we had just remained down below and wandered around the ruins on our own instead. If I had realized we would have so little time once we came back down, I would have skipped it.

I sent another email last week. I let my frustration get the better of me and probably complained too much, rather than sticking to my original issues. But I did get a call from Disney. I thought I would let you all know, since I complained so much about being ignored on other threads. That's all I have to say about it and I won't complain anymore, at least not about the same thing. ;)

I sent another email last week. I let my frustration get the better of me and probably complained too much, rather than sticking to my original issues. But I did get a call from Disney. I thought I would let you all know, since I complained so much about being ignored on other threads. That's all I have to say about it and I won't complain anymore, at least not about the same thing. ;)
I'm so glad to hear it, and I hope they satisfactorily dealt with your issues! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

Thanks for your report!
We are going to try nonABD for Peru - kind of scary! - so we get two nights in Aguas Calientes
The white elephant story made me think of our China ABD.....completely unprompted, the guides had our 5 year old go last. I would never have requested that, but it was so sweet of them to do it. Turned out it was an adult who was most upset about a "steal" - and the 5 year old just kept what she chose....

Thanks for the wonderful trip report, Bobo. Peru was/is actually next on my list as far as ABD trips. I have to say I might be rethinking it slightly, though, after the report. Or at least, I might investigate some other options for traveling there. We just returned from a trip to Costa Rica, but it was on our own. We had an amazing time, although I battled with myself a whole lot about not going with ABD. In fact, I was on the boards earlier this year asking for opinions about it, but ultimately we tried it on our own. The Peru ABD is high on our radar though, especially after the fun we had in Costa Rica.

Just want you to know how great it is to hear about it from your perspective. Sounds like you guys had a great adventure, despite the hiccups. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter