Persuade my DH to go resale

This is our experience / analysis which may be different from others.

I have been going to DW since the day it opened. My family (of 4) have made yearly treks there since since 1997. We stayed in Moderates and eventually moved to Deluxe resorts. In 2013 we finally bought into DVC resale. I am not convinced buying direct saves you any money (if you shop for specials and promotions). We thought about it for years. I do believe that buying resale will save you money in about year 8. So, for us ... if it weren't for resale we would not be DVC members.

The second major thing was previously covered but I wanted to add emphasis. Once you visit DW a dozen times lets say your resort becomes more important. With adult kids that grew up with Disney we don't do too many commando park days anymore. So the resort becomes half or more of the vacation. We think BCV is the best overall resort with BWV being a close second due to the boardwalk and walking access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

Good luck with your decision.

I have one question, and a couple of comments. The question is, "Can DVC sell direct to someone in Scotland?" I don't think they can; you'd better double check to be sure. The other comments are: [*]The primary benefits to purchasing direct are 1) you get the points immediately, and 2) you can finance...IF you consider that a benefit (I don't.). If you have to wait 3-4 months on a waitlist, that benefit is lost. [*]Check the points charts carefully. 160 points is not enough to get a one bedroom for a full week in ANY season at BCV. [*]The "benefits" Disney's timeshare salesmen talk about (cruises, Adventures by Disney, etc) are NOT guaranteed to any purchaser -- direct or resale. They can be -- and HAVE BEEN -- changed or eliminated at any time with little or no notice to the owner. Also, before you even think about considering those direct-purchase perks as a "benefit," check the points cost. In most cases, they are very expensive and very poor values.

Disney sell direct to anyone in the UK, you just can't use Disney finance unless you buy in Orlando. uK is one of the few places outside the US they can sell direct to.

Well I persuaded DH to go resale. We have just had an offer accepted, deposit is paid and it's gone to ROFR. Let the waiting commence!!!

Fantastic!

Thanks for coming back with an update. Now we want details. ;)

Best of luck with ROFR!

Well I persuaded DH to go resale. We have just had an offer accepted, deposit is paid and it's gone to ROFR. Let the waiting commence!!!
That is a wise choice given the circumstance. Enjoy your membership.

Fantastic!

Thanks for coming back with an update. Now we want details. ;)

Best of luck with ROFR!

Congratulations! Which resort?

My first choice would have been BCV but looking ahead my two DD's prefer being nearer DTD so we decided on SRS. We have gone for 200 points which will, hopefully, allow us some flexibility and of getting BVC at the 7month window. We don't and won't travel peak times so we are hoping 200 points are enough.

My first choice would have been BCV but looking ahead my two DD's prefer being nearer DTD so we decided on SRS. We have gone for 200 points which will, hopefully, allow us some flexibility and of getting BVC at the 7month window. We don't and won't travel peak times so we are hoping 200 points are enough.

Very nice choice. We also love being near DTD and SSR cannot be beat for that. Plus SSR has a longer contract life and lower dues. Hopefully you can get into BCV at 7 months but if you can't there are lots of other great places to stay. :goodvibes

Very nice choice. We also love being near DTD and SSR cannot be beat for that. Plus SSR has a longer contract life and lower dues. Hopefully you can get into BCV at 7 months but if you can't there are lots of other great places to stay. :goodvibes
I also agree that's a good choice! If you don't get into BCV right away in the 7-month window you can try to waitlist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter