Personal carry-on item on Delta

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by blossombrd, Apr 25, 2013.

1. blossombrd

blossombrd Mouseketeer

How large can a personal item be when flying Delta? The website says one personal item could be a briefcase or purse or camera case. I'm thinking about taking a tote bag and putting my camera, video camera, and purse inside that. Would that be allowed? I believe it has to fit under the seat in front of you, but I don't know how big that space is. What is your experience?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. erinscreen

erinscreen Mouseketeer

It sounds like you want to do exactly what I do: I have a larger bag that I keep all my essentials in (including my tablet, camera, purse) and take that as my carry-on instead of trying to wrestle two items. If you plan on checking your luggage, you are still allowed a purse and an additional carry-on. Depending on your flight (how full it is, how big the plane is), they may have you do a jetway check (valet) if you have a larger carry-on (like the size of a small suitcase).

4. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

I've found Delta lets pretty much anything on. I couldn't believe one time a girl had a huge overstuffed bag and it would not fit into the overhead top to bottom. Instead of forcing her to check it, the F/A gave her a bag to take stuff out so that it would fit. Meanwhile she was blocking the aisle during boarding. :rolleyes:

5. letsgoreds

letsgoreds DIS Veteran

My experience is that they are not particular with the size...as long as they are each within the size requirements. I have seen some flight attendants crack down on people who try to bring on 3, requiring them to stick one in the other, etc.

6. Kimberle

Kimberle <font color=darkorchid>WL Vet<br><font color=blue>

I fly Delta all the time. I've seen it "both" ways. Sometimes they are strict and sometime they are not. In general, your carryon (personal) should fit under the seat ahead of you.

7. blossombrd

blossombrd Mouseketeer

I plan to have a small suitcase also as a carry-on as well as the tote bag. What is a jetway check and is there a charge for that?

8. ain0004

ain0004 Mouseketeer

We always fly delta. I use one of the kids book bags for camera, purse, and so on and stow it under the seat in front of me. never had a problem.

9. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

You will need to consolidate so you only have 2 bags when you board the plane (I think you are aware of that already).

If you are flying a small regional plane, you usually have to check larger carry-on baggage at the gate, as the overheads are really small and will only hold a purse/backpack sized item. There is no charge for this. You probably won't have to worry about this.

10. rdevine10

rdevine10 All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura

When we fly delta we do the following for our family of 4:

we each have one small rolling suitcase (that fits the size requirements).

We then each carry on a backpack that will fit under the seat in front of us. (My purse must be able to fit into one of the bags prior to boarding).

We then usually check 1 suitcase with toiletries.

We have noticed since they started charging for bags they often at the gate will allow people to check for free to create room on full flights.