Perks to Shades of Green

JenLoy

Mouseketeer
I know that Shades of Green offers some fantastic room rates for Military and DOD employees. My question is that other than the room rates, what other advantages (if any) does SoG have over the disney owened hotels?

I like it better because the rooms are bigger; the bathroom sink area has a door (unlike the values and moderates) so if you get up earlier than others, you won't wake them up; the resort is not that huge so there aren't a lot of people around; it's beautiful and quiet; and the store prices are great compared to the Disney stores.

As well as having bigger rooms, cheaper restaurants, cheaper room service, a small PX, and beautiful quiet surroundings, it also has access to Early Magic Hour, and very easy access to MK and Epcot. Not to mention reduced golfing fees. At least this was true in the past.

Also in the older rooms the table and chairs were behind a sort of 3/4 wall, allowing a little separation between sitting and sleeping. And balconies or patio with each room!!!

I just came back and there are no microwaves in the rooms. There is a small refrigerator and a coffee maker. Also, not all the rooms have a door in the toilet area. We were in the old section and the bathroom that we had was only one room. Some of the rooms in the old section do have the bathrooms with the door in the toilet area. The bathrooms are not all the same.

Debbie

Are the restaurants available to anyone, or only guest at SOG? If they are open to the public, are they nice? I've never read anything about the food at that resort.

Hi DIS friends, :wave:

I also like to add that when it was our decision time to choose which resort, we like the idea that SoG was nearby the Poly resort for the monorail access, which whizzes by very frequently.

Also, with the five of us, SoG larger rooms would accomodate us quite comfortably.

Right now, the Garden Gallery serves breakfast. You can either order off the menu or have the buffet. The buffet is $7.50 pp and less for children.

An Express type restaurant will be opening sometime in the future where you can get coffee and bagels, muffins, etc. to go.

If you want something to go right now, the golf snack bar near the Magnolia Pool does offer muffins, coffee, and egg sandwiches. But, it did not seem that clean to me.

Hope this helps.

Debbie

Originally posted by JenLoy

My question is that other than the room rates, what other advantages (if any) does SoG have over the disney owened hotels?

GREATLY discounted golf rates!!!!!!

beastlyprince

I am not sure if the restaurants are open to everyone. I know there is a checkin kiosk to enter the resort. I would ask at the kiosk or at the resort. If to many people who are not eligable start to use the restaurant I would think there would be ID checks in the form of military/Dod identification or room keys.

It is best to ask at the resort to be sure.:D

Re: restaurants, we've had to show military ID to get into SOG for the last 4 or 5 years. It was "buttoned up" even before 9/11 if I remember correctly. So, I'm not sure if they'll let you in. They may do an ID check like they used to on bases...just make sure you have some form of identification...

Other perks: discounted park tickets for those eligible to stay at SOG, whether you are or not!! This includes 1 day park passes, all park hopper passes, stars and stripes passes (ultimate park hoppers or length-of-stay passes), regular annual passes and FL resident annual passes :) They also have discounted tickets for other area attractions like Universal, Sea World, dinner shows, World of China, Busch Gardens, etc....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter