People who wear glasses - any bargain tips?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by wdwpluto, Sep 10, 2005.

1. wdwpluto

wdwpluto <font color=blue>The TF looked all over but couldn

Okay, I just bought a pair of new prescription glasses today. Lenses and frames came to nearly $350 :earseek: I had looked at BJ's optical, Target optical, and Walmart optical. I ended up buying at Pearle Vision because that was where I found frames I actually liked (that looked good on me).

We have no vision coverage :rolleyes: so that's 100% out of pocket. Anyone have any good bargain tips or great super secret places that they buy glasses? I just think it's insane, it's not like I choose to have poor vision, yet the eye glass places seem to take advantage of it! :guilty:

ETA: I got my eye exam super cheap (IMHO) at BJ's. $49.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. EthansMom

EthansMom <font color=red>spare yourself from asking me to d

DH and I both wear glasses. We wait until we get a "buy one, get one free" offer and then both get new glasses at the same time. Neither of us has eyes that change much, so we only get new glasses every couple of years. Ithink it cost around $600 for both check ups and glasses last year. D

H could get eye insurance at work, but it doesn't cover the entire cost of glasses and so it doesn't make sense to carry it constantly. When benefits enrollment comes around, I should look at the cost of insurance again since we'll be due for new glasses next year.

4. CarolinaBlue

CarolinaBlue I solemnly swear that I am up to no good<br><font

I have a AAA membership and I get a 30% discount on eye exams, frames, and lenses at Lenscrafters.

5. hallie615

hallie615 <font color=teal>I'm a bad cook because I never ha

I've never tried this site before, but someone who bought from here told me about it. For the price it might be worth it to try it out. Let me know if anyone tries it.

www.39dollarglasses.com

6. lifeasahampster

lifeasahampster Mouseketeer

If you have a costco membership you can get an eye exam for less than $40. Also, the VERY best place to get glasses is 39dollarglasses, they are actually really great quality and they really cost 39 bucks! Just type that into yahoo. I have a college son that seems to loose glasses daily, so this is what I do for him now. I may have a code for free shipping if you want it. Good luck!

7. Lives4Disney

Lives4Disney DIS Veteran

I second the Costco. My husband just got two pairs at costco. They were both just over $100 each. My daughter just got a kids' pair for..... $63 total!!! (and she LOVES them)

We spent $750 last year for my husband's 2 pairs at LensCrafters! :guilty:

Of course, that $750 was after he hadn't needed new glasses for about 10 yrs - then within the year his prescription changed!! :rolleyes: and he really was uncomfortable wearing those $750 glasses!! Ugh!!!!

The Costco glasses for $100ish are just as stylish and nice quality, too.

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

8. disneysteve

disneysteve You have to enjoy life, not go

OMG!! Here's my bargain tip. DON'T PAY $350 FOR GLASSES!

There is a chain in our area called For Eyes. They have a standing deal of 2 pairs of glasses for $99. Both DW and I have done this the last 2 times we got glasses. What we do is get one pair of regular glasses and one pair of sunglasses for the $99. And if you only want one pair, they are $59.95.

Stay away from places like Lenscrafters. Any place that can put a coupon in the paper for $100 off your next pair has got to be way overcharging for their glasses. And stay away from the designer frames (which seems to be all they sell at places like Lenscrafters).

So see if there is a For Eyes near you. If not, find the comparable discount chain where you live and go there next time.

ETA: I just noticed you are in North Jersey. If there isn't a For Eyes near you, it would be well worth a trip South to their nearest store.

9. vossjemi

vossjemi I LUV 2 Travel!!!

We have a membership at America's Contacts & Eyeglasses. I think it cost around $100 for 5 years. All eye exams are free for those 5 years, plus huge discounts on all glasses & contacts! Love it!

10. tar heel

tar heel <font color=royalblue>Where will we get our news i

I would never pay that much for glasses. I would keep looking until I found something I liked for half that price or less.

I second what Steve said about Lenscrafters. I don't know what they charge for glasses, but when I priced my son's new contacts prescription they wanted $140 -- same as his opthamologist. I got them at a locally owned optician for $79.98 -- a price BETTER than the internet places. We had bought his previous prescription lenses at BJs ($26 versus $50 at his opthamologist) but they don't carry this kind.

11. tar heel

tar heel <font color=royalblue>Where will we get our news i

Someone mentioned buying glasses two years in a row. I would consider frames that age to be NEW and would just do lenses.

12. OceanAnnie

OceanAnnie <font color=maroon>I guess I have a thing against

You won't believe this. It's my deal of the decade.

I was looking for cheap sunglasses on e-bay. Regular cheap sunglasses. And I saw prescription sunglasses! They are the same style as the glasses I wear (when I don't wear contacts). Well, I looked into it some more and the prescription was almost the same as mine. The exact same in one eye and weaker by a tenth in the other.

I bought them for $10! Works great for me. I can't tell a difference in the prescription at all! The lady that sold them to me said she paid $250 for them and only wore them a few times. She got the lasik surgery and they were of no use to her anymore.

It was such a fluke I found them that day! I love them!

And I did find my cheap sunglasses too. At the Dollar Tree! I was spending good money on sunglasses only to have them break or get lost. Now that I bought the Dollar sunglasses they have lasted and haven't lost one. Murphy's law. And you can't tell they are from the Dollar store! They have the UVB protection and are stylish. :)

It's been a good summer! :)

13. beagle744

beagle744 I have an evil twin Skippy

I discovered this by accident. Went to Target optical bought 2 pair. When I got home noticed one pair was so much cheaper than the other. I then realized that the less expensive pair were kids frames. Fortunately they fit me at I liked the style.

14. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

Or north. There's a bunch of ForEyes locations in Massachusetts.

15. luvtogo12

luvtogo12 <font color=darkorchid>I found myself ironing all

Another vote for Costco. I just got my DD glasses for a total of $89.00.
    Single vision lenses are only $19.99. Frames start at about $39.00.
    For myself, I have never paid more than $150.00. This is a huge savings since I was used to paying around $400.00. I have a high script and pay a lot for all the extras to make them look as thin as possible. Now, when I get new glasses I order a new pair of perscription sun glasses as well and still pay about $300.00.
    They may not have the biggest selection of frames but I have never had a problem finding a pair I liked. Even my DD who is a typical 15 y/o overly concerned with fashion always finds a few pairs she likes.

16. OceanAnnie

OceanAnnie <font color=maroon>I guess I have a thing against

I agree. They do cost less. I've bought kids frames for myself too. They fit and were stylish.

I didn't know Target had an optical department. I got my regular eyeglasses at Sears.

17. oogieboogie

oogieboogie <font color=darkgreen>If all else fails... reboot!

I bought mine online. 39dollarglasses is a great place to get glasses. I didn't get mine there - I went to another site, but mine came with the magnetic sun clip, anti-scratch coating, anti-reflective coating and I paid $16 for it and it fits just fine.

I won't ever buy glasses at the brick and mortar stores anymore. The mark-ups are just way too ridiculous. I have a pretty high prescription + astigmatism which means I need my lenses to be as thin as possible, and the last time I went to EyeMasters, I ended up paying $400 just for the lenses! Never am I going to do that again.

18. toesmom

toesmom DIS Veteran

my dh is an optometrist and he of course sells glasses and contact lenses, though not all eye doctors do. In any case, his price for the complete glasses always always always beats the lenscrafters, walmarts, hakim optical companies (we live in canada).

It appears that the optical companies really tend to upsell features that most people never need, thus glasses tend to cost way more.

Before you go to the optical companies, check with your eye doctor and I bet you would be surprised by the price difference.

19. mum4jenn

mum4jenn <font color=purple>My dd is the love of my life!!<

WOW!!!!! I might try this $39 site. We HAVE the vision insurance but the last time I got glasses I still paid right at $300. I have very bad eyesight (bifocals and the prescription is so strong I have to get the thin lenses also or else my lenses would be almost an inch thick. I have had these for 2 years now and the coating is coming off pretty bad so it is hard to even read through them but I just don't have $300 to hand out right now. Thanks for the info.

20. Alice's Mom

Alice's Mom <font color=deeppink>My little one has now become

Another vote for Costco, I wear contacts so I have the $70 eye exam, my last pair of glasses cost a total of $55.00 and 6 pairs of contacts cost me $40 and each set lasts up to 2 months. I can't believe what it used to cost me, mostly my parents as I have been wearing glasses since I was 4 and I have an astygmatism...I figure if I get lasik in the next two years, it will save me a fortune in the long run...

:3dglasses

21. cutedisney

cutedisney Earning My Ears

My husband manages an optometric practice dealing with contact lenses and glasses. Let me know if this helps anyone.