people who bring their dogs in stores with them-RANT!

I managed a Subway and had a gentlemen who tried to bring his dog (a Pomeranian) in while we were in the middle of a Health Department inspection. I very politely told him that dogs other than service animals were not allowed. He yelled and cursed at me and called me a dog hater, all the while trying to push past me into the store. I told him I would gladly make his food, and bring it and his change to him in an attempt to pacify him. He continued cursing me and the health inspector (a very nice guy about the size of a linebacker) came to see what the fuss was about. He told the gentleman and myself very firmly that if the dogl were brought inside the store I would fail my inspection. Something about possible food and dining area contamination from the fecal matter that the dog could unwittingly carry in with them. The ONLY exception was service animals to comply with ADA accessability laws.

I also agree that people who treat their dogs like babies or children have every right to do so. However, keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way, and considering how severe of a reaction that can occur if an allergic person comes near the dog, I agree with stores that don't allow pets.

My Dmom and I had an argument about this 2 weeks ago. She brought her little chihuah in my house with her and sat her on the couch. I told her either the dog could go, they could both go or she was going to vaccume my couch for me....she got mad and left. Hey, I like the dog...at her house, not mine :rolleyes1

And are you saying that it's against the law for an establishment to ASK if a service dog is legitimate???
A violation of the ADA, yes. But they can legitimately ask what service/s the animal provides. "She licks the crumbs" probably isn't a valid service dog duty in a restaurant, which employs people to clear the tables.

When I worked at Denny's we had one woman bring a toy sized terrier in and insist that we allow the dog ON the table because she claimed he was a service dog. She didn't have any paperwork and when asked what the dog did she said he helped keep her clean by licking up the crumbs.:headache:

There's no such thing as paperwork proving a dog is a service animal (you can get such a thing, but it's NOT a requirement), and what you asked her is illegal. Your store was VERY lucky she didn't go after you guys (sounds like it wasn't a true service dog, thank goodness) b/c asking such questions is not OK under the ADA.

And are you saying that it's against the law for an establishment to ASK if a service dog is legitimate???

From the ADA website:

"Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability."

http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

melancholywings, I think you asked exactly what is allowed by law. I can't see how licking crumbs off of a table in a restaurant qualifies as a service that the animal has been trained to provide a disabled person. Some people...:confused3

Okay freaky scary thing happened to me at my local pet supply store. I went at 8pm. They use to close at 9pm but apparently in the last week they changed their time. Their open sign was still on. The 2 ladies who i've seen weekly for the past 3 years smiled at me when they saw me coming to the door. I go to open it and dear lord almighty 2 dogs charged me. One a massive pitt bull the other a small boxer. OMG I thought so this is how it all ends buying dog food at a pet place. The lady yells we're closed... well I'm sorry your open sign was still on and your door was still unlocked how silly of me not to think you were closed!! So I'm standing there holding the door shut (ya know the double glass type ones that open outward) she's standing there laughing at me!! While this freaking 150 pound dog is jumping opening the door. I can't just leave because if I let go of that door he's gonna come out and get me.. finally she stops laughing and holds the dog. I just look at her in amazement she goes back to laughing!! OMG. I run as fast as I can to my car 10 ft away. I got in and started crying. I dont know if I can ever go there again. I can't even complain because those people were the owners!!!!!!! Why oh why oh why... Its all most 2 hours later and I'm still shaking. I've never been charged at by a dog before!!

Okay freaky scary thing happened to me at my local pet supply store. I went at 8pm. They use to close at 9pm but apparently in the last week they changed their time. Their open sign was still on. The 2 ladies who i've seen weekly for the past 3 years smiled at me when they saw me coming to the door. I go to open it and dear lord almighty 2 dogs charged me. One a massive pitt bull the other a small boxer. OMG I thought so this is how it all ends buying dog food at a pet place. The lady yells we're closed... well I'm sorry your open sign was still on and your door was still unlocked how silly of me not to think you were closed!! So I'm standing there holding the door shut (ya know the double glass type ones that open outward) she's standing there laughing at me!! While this freaking 150 pound dog is jumping opening the door. I can't just leave because if I let go of that door he's gonna come out and get me.. finally she stops laughing and holds the dog. I just look at her in amazement she goes back to laughing!! OMG. I run as fast as I can to my car 10 ft away. I got in and started crying. I dont know if I can ever go there again. I can't even complain because those people were the owners!!!!!!! Why oh why oh why... Its all most 2 hours later and I'm still shaking. I've never been charged at by a dog before!!

:scared1:

I hope you folks never travel outside the US.

Bringing your dog everyplace with you is an accepted part of the culture in a lot of places. So while you sit a dinner so does Fido. While you shop so does Fido.....

Actually, I've travelled extensively through Western Europe and lived for a short time in England. Granted, it has been a few years now, but I did not find it commonplace to find dogs in restaurants etc. - now smoking that's another story :upsidedow

I really, really love animals, but I think it's disgusting and unfair to anyone who might have allergies to have a dog in a restaurant or sitting in a child seat at a store :scared1:

Just my 2 cents..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter