Pentax Optio WG-2 or Nikon Coolpix AW 100

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by sookie, Dec 1, 2012.

1. sookie

sookie DIS Veteran

Hi! I need opinions on both these cameras. I have bought both of these cameras - and I'm trying to figure out which one is best! Both are supposedly waterproof and shockproof. Point and shoot. We have an SLR for other pics - but this is a grab and go for the husband.

Thank you so much! They cost within 5 bucks of each other on black friday! I got a great deal - 180 including tax on both. I don't want to open either box at all - they seem pretty comparable.

2. LittleMissMagic

LittleMissMagic Victoria on Vacation

I think they're pretty comparable. I have the Nikon AW100 and really like it. One of the things I found appealing about it are the preset modes for fireworks, underwater, scenery, etc. and its ability to automatically detect these settings (if you stick the camera underwater, it immediately goes to underwater setting... put it up to your face and it detects portrait - pretty fun to play with!). It also takes pretty good video. It's waterproof up to 33 feet and shockproof up to 5'7" or something like that.

However, I know plenty of people who like the Pentax Optio. I think it comes down to brand familiarity - that's why I stuck with Nikon, honestly.

Here are a few sample photos:

Underwater -

[​IMG]
    DSCN0431 by vshingl, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN0263 by vshingl, on Flickr

Low light -

[​IMG]
    DSCN0455 by vshingl, on Flickr

3. sookie

sookie DIS Veteran

Cool!! thanks!