Peanuts on planes?

I've never been on a flight that serves seafood. Peanuts on planes is common. And even if only a small percentage of the population suffers from peanut allergies, the fact remains that I want to keep my sweet little girl as safe as possible.

I would guess you only fly economy on domestic flights, where real meals are not served anymore. Seafood is often served in business/first domestically and all classes on international flights. So even if you personally have never experienced this, there is a good chance you have flown on a plane where seafood was served (unless you only fly discount airlines which don't have different classes of service).

Peanuts are NOT served on most airlines anymore. Seafood is.

Anyway, you missed my point.

And no one here has posted anything against keeping people with allergies safe. That is their or their parents' responsibility.

I've never been on a flight that serves seafood. Peanuts on planes is common. And even if only a small percentage of the population suffers from peanut allergies, the fact remains that I want to keep my sweet little girl as safe as possible.
Seafood is common on international flights.

OP, how about you drive instead?

I would guess you only fly economy on domestic flights, where real meals are not served anymore. Seafood is often served in business/first domestically and all classes on international flights. So even if you personally have never experienced this, there is a good chance you have flown on a plane where seafood was served (unless you only fly discount airlines which don't have different classes of service). Peanuts are NOT served on most airlines anymore. Seafood is. Anyway, you missed my point. And no one here has posted anything against keeping people with allergies safe. That is their or their parents' responsibility.

You're absolutely right. I don't understand your point at all. The only thing you really said was there aren't that many people w peanut allergies, which really wasn't relevant. My kid has a peanut allergy. That's who I'm concerned about. I don't fly often, which is why I asked the original question. I am trying to be a good parent and keep my child as safe as possible. I'm not sure if it's your intention, but your posts seem rather insulting.

I know southwest still serves peanuts with a pretzel option. We don't have peanut allergies, but I am surprised they serve them! I know peanut lorries can be quickly deadly, I don't blame you for your concern. I always go with the pretzel option thinking what if someone around us has a peanut allergy? Or the next person to DIY in this seat?

I know southwest still serves peanuts with a pretzel option. We don't have peanut allergies, but I am surprised they serve them! I know peanut lorries can be quickly deadly, I don't blame you for your concern. I always go with the pretzel option thinking what if someone around us has a peanut allergy? Or the next person to DIY in this seat?

Thank you for posting this and for being so thoughtful about allergies. I know I'm extra sensitive due to DD's allergy, but I get easily frustrated when people seem annoyed when asked to avoid peanuts around a child who has an allergy. I don't understand how not eating peanuts for a few hours is such a hardship. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you.

Thank you for posting this and for being so thoughtful about allergies. I know I'm extra sensitive due to DD's allergy, but I get easily frustrated when people seem annoyed when asked to avoid peanuts around a child who has an allergy. I don't understand how not eating peanuts for a few hours is such a hardship. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you.

Autocorrect butchered my last post. Sorry about that! People need to be aware how deadly it is! I have friends whose kids have peanut allergies, so I am extra careful. I am not posting this to scare you (you know how scary it is) but to educate others. I hope it helps!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-allergy-eating-Rice-Krispie-summer-camp.html

Autocorrect butchered my last post. Sorry about that! People need to be aware how deadly it is! I have friends whose kids have peanut allergies, so I am extra careful. I am not posting this to scare you (you know how scary it is) but to educate others. I hope it helps! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381094/Natalie-Giorgio-13-dies-peanut-butter-allergy-eating-Rice-Krispie-summer-camp.html

Thanks for posting. I saw this on tv and just stood there crying. Such a tragedy. My heart goes out to this family.

OP here. I called Delta today. They were very nice and said they noted the allergy and will not offer peanuts during our flights. She made it clear that they don't have control over what passengers may bring with them (which I understand) and told me remind the person at the gate when we get there. She also confirmed that we will be able to board early and wipe down the surfaces where we will be sitting.

I have a call out to the allergy doc to get his take on whether or not to give Benadryl before the flight.

Thanks again for the helpful info!!

OP here. I called Delta today. They were very nice and said they noted the allergy and will not offer peanuts during our flights. She made it clear that they don't have control over what passengers may bring with them (which I understand) and told me remind the person at the gate when we get there. She also confirmed that we will be able to board early and wipe down the surfaces where we will be sitting.

I have a call out to the allergy doc to get his take on whether or not to give Benadryl before the flight.

Thanks again for the helpful info!!
I'm curious (to anyone with a peanut allergy)... what do you do in the airport itself? You don't know if the seat you found had been vacated by someone eating peanuts. Do you wipe down everything?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

I'm curious (to anyone with a peanut allergy)... what do you do in the airport itself? You don't know if the seat you found had been vacated by someone eating peanuts. Do you wipe down everything? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

The main dangers of being on a plane vs the ground is the recirculated air in a confined space and the fact that medical care would not be available should one go into anaphylactic shock. Luckily we haven't had to deal with allergies that severe in my family but I'm certain there are those with severe allergies that do wipe down seats in public places.

Got a call back from the allergy doc. RE whether to have dd take Benadryl before the flight, I was told I could give it to her if it made me feel better but don't have to. What an ambiguous answer!!!

Got a call back from the allergy doc. RE whether to have dd take Benadryl before the flight, I was told I could give it to her if it made me feel better but don't have to. What an ambiguous answer!!!

WOW, he could at least explain to you why he thinks it doesn't matter. I was telling my DH about this thread and after thinking about it. We have been giving my DS the Benadryl before flights for over 8 yrs, I don't think I can stop now and be comfortable about it during the flight.

WOW, he could at least explain to you why he thinks it doesn't matter. I was telling my DH about this thread and after thinking about it. We have been giving my DS the Benadryl before flights for over 8 yrs, I don't think I can stop now and be comfortable about it during the flight.

Oh I know!! I was thoroughly irritated and feel like I'm back to square one. Has your DS ever reacted to peanuts - on the plane or otherwise?

I haven't flown since 2010. Do airlines still give peanuts as snacks? It might seem like an odd thing to ask, but dd has a severe peanut allergy and my imagination is working overtime (peanut being left behind in a seat, dd reacting, using epi pen at 30,000 feet etc). And yes, I'm the one who started the thread about fear of flying, but no this isn't a way to get out of it. ;) TIA!

I haven't read the entire thread so not sure if this has been mentioned.

We fly from Detroit to MCO. It is a heavy family commute to Disneyworld & Grandpa & Grandma-world. Lots of kids. I have been on a couple of flights where it was announced that peanuts would not be served because one of the passengers had a severe allergy.

The attendants didn't said anything ahead of time (no announcements or anything) and no guests complained.

I have also been on flights where it was just a few rows (ours included) that were told "No nuts" for allergy reasons. The seating area had just been vacuumed thoroughly (cleaned out seat pouches, etc.).

I am assuming that the person(s) arranged it with the airlines ahead of time.

Hopeful that's helpful info.

Oh I know!! I was thoroughly irritated and feel like I'm back to square one. Has your DS ever reacted to peanuts - on the plane or otherwise?

Thankfully we Never had an issue with flying.

Once when he was younger we took him to the Ringling Bros Circus, which was in a covered building, he sneezed and coughed the whole time we were there. I realized after too long of a time, that there was peanuts shells all over the floor. I left as soon as I put 2 and 2 together, this was well before I was aware of how and what we should know about the peanut allergy.
When we were in my SIL's home she had an open container of peanuts, which I didn't know. My son was coughing the whole time we were there. I went to my DH and told him we are going to have to leave, because DS won't stop coughing something has to be bothering him. That's when he told me he say the peanuts and had just put them away. Once he did that the coughing stopped.
So it seems as he gets the cough around open peanuts and the DR said he's trying to catch is breath. They were the only 2 episodes we had with being around peanuts and that was at least 5 yrs ago from the last one, which was at my SIL's. Leaving the area seems to stop the reaction of sneezing and coughing.

We had only one full blown reaction which he ended up with a hospital when he was 18 mos old. He found a peanut butter cup in a lunch bag and ate it. The bag was so old he wasn't even born yet, the last time it was used. So we had no clue it was in there.

He is now 11 yrs old and I am just as scared today as I was at 18 mos when it hit me he really is allergic.

How would he react today with open peanuts around him, I don't know. hopefully the cough would be the only reaction and my warning to get him out of there.

How have things been for your DD, flying the first time with him was nerve wrecking, but our airline always worked with us and helped in every way they can. a few times we even have an attendant check on us all through the flight.

I just wish airlines would announce while we are all waiting that the flight was peanut free. If I travel with dd's during meal time I may throw a or air butter sandwich in our bag. They will eat it. It doesn't have to be refrigerated l and airport food is expensive. If they did we could either et before getting on the plane or grab something else. I do carry other snacks but not anything meal like.

Thankfully we Never had an issue with flying. Once when he was younger we took him to the Ringling Bros Circus, which was in a covered building, he sneezed and coughed the whole time we were there. I realized after too long of a time, that there was peanuts shells all over the floor. I left as soon as I put 2 and 2 together, this was well before I was aware of how and what we should know about the peanut allergy. When we were in my SIL's home she had an open container of peanuts, which I didn't know. My son was coughing the whole time we were there. I went to my DH and told him we are going to have to leave, because DS won't stop coughing something has to be bothering him. That's when he told me he say the peanuts and had just put them away. Once he did that the coughing stopped. So it seems as he gets the cough around open peanuts and the DR said he's trying to catch is breath. They were the only 2 episodes we had with being around peanuts and that was at least 5 yrs ago from the last one, which was at my SIL's. Leaving the area seems to stop the reaction of sneezing and coughing. We had only one full blown reaction which he ended up with a hospital when he was 18 mos old. He found a peanut butter cup in a lunch bag and ate it. The bag was so old he wasn't even born yet, the last time it was used. So we had no clue it was in there. He is now 11 yrs old and I am just as scared today as I was at 18 mos when it hit me he really is allergic. How would he react today with open peanuts around him, I don't know. hopefully the cough would be the only reaction and my warning to get him out of there. How have things been for your DD, flying the first time with him was nerve wrecking, but our airline always worked with us and helped in every way they can. a few times we even have an attendant check on us all through the flight.

Thanks for sharing!! Dd has never reacted to peanuts that we know of. We only found out about her peanut allergy after she had an allergic reaction to milk. After that we always avoided them. We did go on a picnic w friends a few weeks ago. One if them forgot about her peanut allergy and brought a pb&j. DD was sitting across the picnic table and it didn't seem to faze her at all. Of course that was outside. It's just so nerve wracking - I can't imagine having a reaction while 30,000 feet in the air!

I just wish airlines would announce while we are all waiting that the flight was peanut free. If I travel with dd's during meal time I may throw a or air butter sandwich in our bag. They will eat it. It doesn't have to be refrigerated l and airport food is expensive. If they did we could either et before getting on the plane or grab something else. I do carry other snacks but not anything meal like.

I just wanted to say thank you - I always feel like I'm inconveniencing people by asking them not to eat peanuts around dd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter