1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

PCC 3.0 ... Meh?

Discussion in 'Podcast Cruises' started by columnwest, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. columnwest

columnwest Mouseketeer

I realize now that my original post should've just been this:

Had a great time on PCC3.0, though PCC2.0 is still my all-time favorite. What's your favorite podcast cruise and why?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BelleProfHP

BelleProfHP Mouseketeer

I have to say that while I wasn't on the PCC, and so can give no opinion in response to your opinion, I don't see where you've done anything wrong in your postings.

Honestly, the tone of some of the responders is the reason I am do hesitant to post anything even slightly negative or criticizing on the DIS. As much as enjoy the info I can get from the boards and the podcast, it appears that you must have joined in 2000 or have 20,000 posts before you're allowed to have any sort of negative opinion or experience. If not, apparently you are a lesser mortal who should keep their mouth shut.

Had I received a response like the ones above from a company I had employed, or might employ in the future, that would immediately cross them off my list. While you might not have paid anything extra for the PCC, you did have to book via DU, which put money in their bank. Next time, I suggest booking via DCL. We have always done so and have never had cause to regret it.

Negative feedback there might not always get pixie dust, but it also doesn't usually get thrown in your face.

4. disneyholic family

disneyholic family <font color=teal>Wayne always catches me<br><font

me too!
    I was booked on it and had to move my reservation to october....
    Actually, the original reservation was on PCC 1.0, then i had to move it to 2.0, then to 3.0 - now i'm going on the dream in october, but alas without any podcasters and very very few disers!! :sad: (getting myself to florida from the other side of the world isn't so easy - hopefully not-podcast 1.0 will work out!! :))

5. Bornteach

Bornteach <a href=http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor><br><im

But the problem is, it is not this mega-company, faceless and seemingly impervious. This is the work of mainly 1-3 people. I think it is hard to compare when for 1-3 it is HIGHLY personal.

6. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

That would be a very difficult choice for us.

Loved 1.0 because we met so many wonderful people - including you!

Loved 2.0 because there were so many of us on board - it seemed that everywhere you looked there was a DIS-er.

Loved 3.0 because we had Connor with us and we met more new people. (Slight downside, couldn't do all the DIS events but that isn't a complaint)

I guess if I had to pick, I'd go with 3.0, but wouldn't hesitate to relive 1.0 or 2.0 again. :scratchin

7. freesone

freesone DIS Veteran

I think the only that could have made Podcast Cruise 3.0 better is if it had been 10 days instead of 5!!!

We made some great friendships with Disers that we met for the 1st time, and will continue those friendships. We enjoyed every Dis event that we attended, and were thrilled to have the opportunity to actually be part of Podcast, especially since we have been listening faithfully at home for 5 years!!!

I can't think of any other way to put it other than that was one of the best vacations we have ever had, and we hope to join another Podcast Cruise in the future.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

8. columnwest

columnwest Mouseketeer

To answer my own question...

I think that PCC2.0 was my favorite because of the lineup of guests. Jodi Benson was amazing, and that concert went so incredibly far beyond my expectations. I was expecting more of a talk with a song or to maybe, but a full concert was pretty spectacular. The fact she sang a song to Pete's mom was really cool. It made me think about some experiences I could share with my mom. And getting to meet, ask questions of, and even have drinks with Bob Gurr (one of my all-time Imagineering idols) was beyond amazing. That's the kind of thing that I would never have dreamed of getting to do in a million years.

PCC1.0 is probably my next favorite. It was the first time, and it really felt like a grand adventure. Met so many great people and it was really the first time I ever felt part of a community where people weren't making fun of me for my love of Disney parks. It was cool to say "I really like the look of Tokyo Disney Sea" to someone and not have them go "Tokyo Disney what?" It was fun to just hang out, have some adult beverages, share Disney memories, and even get up and do kareoke for the first time in my life (my sincere aplogies to the memory of Bobby Darin).

PCC3.0 was fun too. I've already mentioned why it isn't higher for me on the list. But, it was my first time on the Dream, and I really loved that ship and having the extra space to run around and explore. I even got to ride the Aquaduck a couple times, which was so much fun. We boggled at the odds of beng seated at dinner with two other people (Warren and Abby, both brilliant BTW) who were from the same town in the UK where we used to live! As previously mentioned, the stateroom tour was extremely cool, and probably the only time in my life I'm ever going to get a peek inside some of those higher room categories.

9. DSNYDREAMER

DSNYDREAMER <font color=deeppink>Cruising with Unlimited Dream

When I first read your post, shortly after it was put up, I must admit it stung a bit (okay a lot!). As one of the people that worked tirelessly before and during the cruise it felt like a punch in the gut. I assume that wasn't your intent and as much as it is your right to express your opinion, it is my right to feel how that opinion makes me feel. A lot of the sting for me came from your choice of words...the same words with hindsight you chose to remove.

I am sorry you felt like this cruise didn't live up to your expectations, I assure you none of us set out to disappoint anyone. Disappointment comes when expectations are not met...based on your comments below, your expectations for this cruise were not met. I believe some of those expectations came from your experience on 2.0, which was an amazing cruise. However, I also feel some of the responsibility for managing expectations falls on you. I do feel John tried to manage expectations early on by saying this was going to be a much more low key event.

After 2.0 we heard from many people that said it was too big a group, they had no face time with the Podcast Team and would prefer smaller events as opposed to the larger ones. Thus the reasoning behind 2 cruises for this year. Same number of people over 2 cruises, giving everyone a more personal experience. Two cruises means splitting the resources for each in half. These cruises do not make money for Dreams, in fact they cost money. You would think that DCL gives us a number of things for bringing on such a large group--they do not. Venues, drink coupons, tech people, etc, all paid for.

I think it will be easier if I comment on some of your points directly.

Every time we do one of these events, we learn things that we carry forward to the next one. I will say through all of the events I have been involved with one thing I know for sure....you can't make all of the people happy all of the time!

10. columnwest

columnwest Mouseketeer

Thank you Tracey for taking the time to respond to my actual points (instead of just attacking the messenger, as others have done). I actually agree with a lot of what you say. A lot of my reaction just comes down to my own (admittedly inflated) expectations.

For the record, I was happy with the cruise. I said that over and over again in my original post, though nobody seemed to notice. I also said some very nice complimentary things about the cruise, and John, and some of the the on-board events, which people also seemed not to notice. There were just a few things I thought were not as good as I hoped.

I think if a customer says "You know, I thought this aspect of my trip was a little weak or cheesy or unimaginitive" the proper reaction should be "Tell me how we can improve things for next time." Or, "Sorry you feel that, but here's why we did it that way." Not sarcastic remarks like, "Wow, makes me feel glad I put all that work in." or "Well, you try doing it yourself, I dare you." or "You paid for a cruise, you got a cruise," or "It was free so you have no right to complain."

My post was not directed at any individual. It was about my general cruise experience. Several of my points had nothing to do with the DIS-organzied parts of the cruise. Saying "I missed hanging out with some of my friends," for example, does not mean "I hold the DIS resposible for my friends not being there." That would be crazy. And yet, somehow Kevin thinks I was complaining to him about "the right people" not being on board. I mean, seriously?

Somebody else posted that the type of reactions I've received made them feel unwelcome on the boards and unlikely to post in the future. I have to say that I can understand their feelings. If nobody is supposed to say anything even remotely critical about the DIS or the events, even when balanced by a lot of positive comments as well, then what kind of community are we making here?

11. *NikkiBell*

*NikkiBell* The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible Moderator

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Despite the areas that you felt could have improved, I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful vacation. I know I didn't get to do half of what I wanted to on the ship, but there's always next time! :thumbsup2

It seems as if this thread has run its course so I'm going to close it at this time. If you should have any other concerns related to your personal experience, feel free to contact Dreams directly.

See you on the boards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.