PBH - which room shall I book?

amystevekai&bump

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I am about to book 3 nights at the Portofino Bay Hotel, for between Christmas and New Year next year. There will be 5 of us in the room - DH, DS9, DS6, my mom and I. We have all shared a deluxe room at HRH in the past (booked for the sofa bed), but am wondering what option to go for at PBH?

From what I can gather, the deluxe rooms at PBH are only slightly bigger than the regular ones - and that appears to be due to the seperate shower cubicle rather than extra living space - am I right?

I was also thinking of booking a Bay View room, but again it looks as though there are very few balcony rooms and I am wondering whether paying extra is worth it, if the view is from a window that doesn't open? What do you think?

I have no problem paying the extra cost of either the deluxe room or for a bay view - but if the deluxe isn't really going to give me any extra space, and if we are not going to even notice the view part of the bay view room - then obviously paying extra for these 'benefits' would be pointless.

In your experience, what is the best type of room for us to book?

Many thanks for your opinions:thumbsup2

Bayview and garden-view is the same room different view. Deluxe is larger but like you said its mostly in the bathroom not the living space. However, you can possibly get a sleeper chair in a deluxe room but again not a guarantee, just a request.

My guess is that any room you get you will likely order a roll-away with 2 queens. Thats a $25 fee per night.

The deluxe have more of a chance at a balcony/patio request so keep that in mind if you may want that possible option.

Thank you for your reply - thats really helpful:thumbsup2

I guess with the view thing - I know when we have stayed at the HRH, the windows weren't the easiest to see out of - and I know that if the PBH rooms are similar then in real terms I don't suppose we will even think to look out of them!!;)

The only reason I ask is because I have read a number of reviews where they recommend upgrading to a bay view and I am happy to pay if the view is as good as the reviews suggest - but I guess if its a case of putting your face against the glass to get a good view, then I know we are not going to stand there and do that - but if its a case of seeing the beautiful view from your bed for example - then yes I can see its worth doing. Sorry I am waffling a bit - its hard to put in to words what I am trying to ask!!:lmao:

Thank you for your reply - thats really helpful:thumbsup2

I guess with the view thing - I know when we have stayed at the HRH, the windows weren't the easiest to see out of - and I know that if the PBH rooms are similar then in real terms I don't suppose we will even think to look out of them!!;)

The only reason I ask is because I have read a number of reviews where they recommend upgrading to a bay view and I am happy to pay if the view is as good as the reviews suggest - but I guess if its a case of putting your face against the glass to get a good view, then I know we are not going to stand there and do that - but if its a case of seeing the beautiful view from your bed for example - then yes I can see its worth doing. Sorry I am waffling a bit - its hard to put in to words what I am trying to ask!!:lmao:

Thats OK ask away! :)

But yes the room you had at HRH is my favorite, perfect for 5 people. Wish they had that option at the other 2 resorts.

If you get a patio/balcony at PBH that can be very nice view wise but since its not a guarantee you don't know what you'll get.

Views of the bay and the pools are very nice but like you said you wont be standing in the window. So I would just go with the least expensive. PBH is known for it's upgrades - so there is always that possibility too. :)

We had booked a deluxe Club room at PBH..We had a nice view of the pool and the Universal themepark in the distance( we could see MIB and Rip ride Rocket)

thanks ever so much for both of your replies. :)

I think I am going to go with the cheapest option - At least that way I can't be disappointed if I get a bad view or no balcony!! Of course if they offer me a free upgrade it would be rude to turn it down!!;)

thanks again - a great help as always:thumbsup2

So I should request rooms in the East Wing. Thanks.
Is this just the right side of the bay?

Every bay view room on the top floor of the East Wing has a full size balcony. I would request by calling the front desk - request a bayview room in the East Wing on the top floor with a balcony.

So you know, that Wing is the furthest from the boat dock but those rooms are spacious with great balconies.

Every bay view room on the top floor of the East Wing has a full size balcony. I would request by calling the front desk - request a bayview room in the East Wing on the top floor with a balcony.

So you know, that Wing is the furthest from the boat dock but those rooms are spacious with great balconies.

I don't know how to post a picture here, but I have a picture that clearly shows not all bayview rooms on the top floor of the east wing have balconies, let alone full sized ones. Still, it can't hurt to ask for one, but I doubt they can promise you one.

I don't know how to post a picture here, but I have a picture that clearly shows not all bayview rooms on the top floor of the east wing have balconies, let alone full sized ones. Still, it can't hurt to ask for one, but I doubt they can promise you one.

All top floor bayview rooms have a balcony. It's tricky when looking at a picture to decipher top floor. As stated they are request only.

mco_fino_fino_1.jpg

portofino-bay-hotel.jpg

Another poster that is also aware of this.

Your best chance of a bay view with a balcony is in the east wing. Every bay view room on the top floor has a full size balcony. There are also other rooms in the east wing with balconies but they are randomly scattered. Definitely make the request by the calling the hotel directly at 407-503-1000 after you have made your reservation.

Sorry, my apologies. I stand corrected. The pictures I'm looking at looked like there was iron railing going across the window, but no balcony. I should have known better than to disagree with a DIS veteran like yourself. Excuse me while I go eat some crow followed by humble pie. :laughing:

Sorry, my apologies. I stand corrected. The pictures I'm looking at looked like there was iron railing going across the window, but no balcony. I should have known better than to disagree with a DIS veteran like yourself. Excuse me while I go eat some crow followed by humble pie. :laughing:

Nah! NO biggie at all! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter