PASSPORTS - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Lazeric, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Lazeric

Lazeric Disney Veteran - Want To Be

I just heard that for cruises in 2006, that you no longer need a passport. You can get away with a raised seal birth certificate.

We are traveling in Feb of 2006, and I have not ordered passports as of yet, and if the above is true, it would be a $$$ savings for the family.

Please let me know if anyone else has heard this

Thanks;

Eric

2. sdptalk

sdptalk Mouseketeer

This is true. We are in the same situation and someone was kind enough to post a link to the government website that explained everything. The deadline for requiring passports has been moved to 12/31/06. So, for travel to the Caribbean in 2006 you need an approved photo ID (drivers license) and a birth certificate with a raised seal. Minors just need a birth certificate.

This saved us $$$ too - at least for now.

Sandy

3. Lew

Lew DIS Veteran

To clarify: DCL states you need a passport for cruises departing on or after December 28, 2006.

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Cruella de mom

Cruella de mom Goofys have more fun

You do not HAVE to have a passport in 2006. Usually I would suggest that you go ahead and get one as I have found that when traveling outside the US, a passport can be golden. However, if you are traveling in February then I say wait because:

Due to Hurricane Katrina, the passport offices all over the country are taking much longer than the usual 6 weeks to get your passports to you. I have heard that they are now saying 3 - 4 months which would be iffy for your cruise anyway.

Plus you have to GIVE the passport office a copy of your birth certificate and don't get it back until you get the passport. I have lots of copies of my children's birth certificates but only one of mine so I wouldn't want to give that to them if the delays are as long as they are saying.

Have a great trip!

6. Lazeric

Lazeric Disney Veteran - Want To Be

Thanks for letting me know about the passport delay. I definately won't get it in time..

Eric

7. andyson97

andyson97 Earning My Ears

I applied for my kids first, prior to knowing about the change in requirements, on Aug. 29th. I received the passports on 9/24, less than one month. We proceeded to get them just because we already set the $$ aside. You can check the status of your passport on-line if already applied.

andyson97

8. llp479

llp479 DIS Veteran

We applied for passports on 9/4 and received them less than 3 weeks later. They ask on the ap when you are traveling.

9. imheather

imheather Mouseketeer

We are going May 2006 and I would be very HAPPY NOT to get them.
    We are a family of 6 and it would be a huge savings. I also know that we will not be traveling out of the country any time in the near future so they would have been just for the cruise. I am going to hold off.

Heather
    May 2006

10. Babs417

Babs417 DIS Veteran

We needed 11 passports glad that we dont have to get them.We are on the May 20 2006. :flower: :cheer2: