Passport rules?????

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by MaryJPixie, Feb 13, 2009.

1. MaryJPixie

MaryJPixie Mouseketeer

Are passports required for everyone now?????? We are thinking of sailing in July.....TIA:love:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. disneyfaninaz

disneyfaninaz It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

They will be required in July. However, I suggest that you check out the State Department's website for the latest information, especially regarding children's passport requirements.

I think the new rules will allow you to sail to and from the same port without a passport and only a birth certificate, but you will have to have a passport if you need to fly from a foriegn port.

4. Waltworshiper

Waltworshiper DIS Veteran

They come fairly quickly now, we got our 1 1/2 weeks after sending the applications in.

5. MelissaE1

MelissaE1 Truly believes in the Magic

As of June 1, 2009, the full WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) takes effect. Here is a link to the info: http://www.getyouhome.gov/

If you are cruising in a "loop" from and to the same U.S. port, you will technically still be able to get away with a birth certificate and driver license for U.S. entry/exit, but I wouldn't recommend it myself. As mentioned above, everyone will be required to have the full passport for any air travel.

Here's an excerpt from the "Special Audiences: Cruise Ship Passengers" section: "U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

HTH!

6. DAD AT DISNEY

DAD AT DISNEY Mouseketeer

This is great!! I'm sure glad I didn't go out and waste $500.00 to get my family passports:woohoo: