Passport Question

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Ashleybs, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Ashleybs

Ashleybs Mouseketeer

Do we need a passport if we are going to the Bahamas and sailing out of and returning to Port Canaveral? I'm confused by what I keep reading :confused3! Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Without getting into the debate about whether it is a good thing to have a passport from a safety/emergency standpoint (it is), NO, a passport is not required.

WHat is required is a CERTIFIED birth certificate (the one issued by the state where the birth took place, not a pretty gift type certificate that some hospitals issue) and for adults, a government issued photo ID. This is most commonly a driver's license, but can also be a military ID, work ID for those employed by a government, etc.

4. sauerkraut

sauerkraut Wannabe Cruiser

Just make sure you have a certified birth certificate, with BOTH parents names listed for each cruiser without a passport. You'll need your drivers license anyways to board the plane.

Have a great time! :flower3:

5. suzyqn

suzyqn DIS Veteran

Above info. is correct. We have sailed several years in a row with just birth certificates and driver's license. Will get those passports one of these days.

6. QCTodd

QCTodd Earning My Ears

Is there any places that actually spells this out in black and white that one is not needed? If passports were not needed for the kids our trip will be a lot easier to keep a secret!

7. QCTodd

QCTodd Earning My Ears

Also, what's the difference between the passport book and the passport card?

8. my2princessgirls

my2princessgirls DIS Veteran

9. sissy_ib

sissy_ib DIS Veteran

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

The passport card is not what you want in this situation. The passport card is not good for flying internationally, only land and sea border crossing. Since a passport is not needed on a closed loop cruise you would only get one in case of an emergency that you would need to fly back to the US for. In that case you would need a passport book or wait to get help from US officials.