Passport Query

Stefy

Is it time for Disney yet???
Morning guys

Hope we are all good. Haven't posted on the boards in so long.

I have a question about passport age and entry requirements to US. I'm in the process of renewing mine and DH's passports. We fly to Orlando beginning of September and what I am wondering is will it be ok to enter the US with a passport that's less then 6 months old? Of course I will still need to do the ESTA's, but am slightly worried about the passports.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Stefy x

As long as it's valid for the length of stay, it's fine.

Since April 1st, all passports require a chip for entry. Are yours chipped? If not, they'll need renewing.

They need to be e-passports which has the symbol on the front but other than that they only need to be valid for length of stay.

We have taken DD with only a few weeks left without issue.

If you need a new ESTA I would renew as the ESTA only lasts for the length of passport.

Morning guys

Hope we are all good. Haven't posted on the boards in so long.

I have a question about passport age and entry requirements to US. I'm in the process of renewing mine and DH's passports. We fly to Orlando beginning of September and what I am wondering is will it be ok to enter the US with a passport that's less then 6 months old? Of course I will still need to do the ESTA's, but am slightly worried about the passports.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Stefy x

To actually answer your question, there is no problem in entering the US with a passport that is only a few months old.
You may not be able to use any of the auto kiosks but the normal immigration channel will not present any difficulty.

ford family

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's a weight off my mind as I was stressing that it might be a problem. They are defo chipped passports and should be renewed as such. I can't do the ESTA's until I get the passports as I'm assuming they'll have new passport numbers. Oh what a relief I tell you, now I can get back to stressing about the Halloween party tickets lol! :-D

Are you talking about visiting on a cruise? If so, there is definitely no issue. We didn't even have to show our passports.

Are you talking about visiting on a cruise? If so, there is definitely no issue. We didn't even have to show our passports.

I think DCL (or other cruise line) have to pass the passport details of passengers to the authorities before they will clear the ship. I did check DCLs website which really wasn't much help as it just said check your own governments websites for details on requirements for entry!!!

I have been prevented in travelling to other countries with less than 6 months to go on my old passport - that was a few years ago though.

I then travelled on a brand new one that I had to get very quickly with no problem at all. Didn't even get a single question about it.

I have been prevented in travelling to other countries with less than 6 months to go on my old passport - that was a few years ago though

most countries will require 6 months validity beyond the date you leave the country

The USA also require those 6 months beyond return date BUT the UK as well as most of the Visa Waiver Program countries have reciprocal agreements with the USA waiving that 6 months requirement.

As long as a UK passport is an electronic passport (chip symbol on the cover) and is valid on the date of entry, then it's valid for entry.

VWP visitors are allowed to stay up to 90 days under the visa waiver program.
Should the passport expire during that 90 days period, the Immigration Officer might decide (or not) to shorten the permitted length of stay to reflect the period left on the passport. (e.g : passport expires 30 days from entry, the visitor might be allowed to stay for only 30 days instead of 90, and the stamp on the passport will reflect that date)

So always make sure your passport is valid at least until your intended return date.

Just resurrecting this post - good point, hadn't thought about the Bahamas element of the cruise potentially having a different passport requirement!

We were thinking of going with only 5 months remaining on my husband's passport, as the US travel is fine as long as the passport hasn't expired. However, it does say 6 months validity remaining for the Bahamas, so I'm thinking we can't take that chance!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter