Passport - Link to outside verification?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by VHFamily, Mar 12, 2013.

1. VHFamily

VHFamily Earning My Ears

Hi all - first post ;) I have been lurking for a week or so since it was decided we are going on a W.Med cruise next february (2014)..

Anyways, I have read post upon post about the passport issue. I totally understand the benefit of having one in case of emergency and not being able to re enter the US via air without one etc etc. I get it, but my family does not believe me that it is NOT required for the ports of call and excursions for the cruise - does someone have that from a verified source that they can link me to?

For example - if we dock at cozumel and go on an excursion or get off the boat there - my brother and husband are both convinced we need our passports. I know from reading various posts and what not that is not true but they don't believe me, LOL! :confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tweis

tweis DIS Veteran

Which cruise are you taking? You mention W. Med but then talk about Cozumel. Not sure if you are taking a Med cruise or a Western Caribbean.

4. Barkell

Barkell Earning My Ears

5. VHFamily

VHFamily Earning My Ears

My bad. It isn't booked yet but looking like the w Caribbean. I get confused with the port names and geography has NEVER been my strong suit ;)

6. manateesmom

manateesmom Mouseketeer

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

7. VHFamily

VHFamily Earning My Ears

This is the part of that website that has my brother and dh arguing with me:

"HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement."

And unfortunately they aren't taking my word that a million ppl from disboards do this with no troubles....

8. manateesmom

manateesmom Mouseketeer

So, that link is on the State Department's website, go each of the islands you'd be visiting on your itinerary and verify the requirements for each. For example, the Bahamas:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_989.html#entry_requirements

A WHTI-compliant document includes a birth certificate, per the link above.

Compare that to:

9. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

And that's a great CYA bit for the State Department.

But here is Disney's statement, based on their Bahamas and Caribbean cruises. They know where they are going and know what's required, and they say:

Now...if members of your family WANT to get a passport, they certainly can. Maybe they want to do more traveling in the future and know it makes travel easy and possible! Maybe they just want them. A passport isn't not allowed, after all. In that case they should spend less time arguing and more time filling out their passport applications!

10. MouseMomx2

MouseMomx2 DIS Veteran

Have taken 11 Disney cruises, including 3 Western Caribbean sailings. We have only needed our passports in one port in Alaska whenwe took an excursion that crossed into Canada. Otherwise they have always stayed on board in the safe.

11. abacab

abacab Mouseketeer

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what's the reason NOT to carry a passport when in a foreign country?... better safe than sorry, right?

12. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

Are you talking about someone who HAS a passport, but leaves in the safe onboard? Or someone who doesn't want to get a passport?

13. VHFamily

VHFamily Earning My Ears

LOL truth :) Our cruise is 11 months away so we have time :) I have this stubborn streak that needs to prove I'm right, certainly not saying NOT to get them, just proving the point that you don't HAVE to have them. We are leaning towards getting them for me and my children (hubby already has one), but slightly undecided yet.

14. disneyfaninaz

disneyfaninaz It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

IMHO, there is no good reason. If you have a passport and you are in a foreign port, that passport should be on your person, not in your safe in your stateroom where it can leave without you.

15. LWQuestie

LWQuestie I'm the Rocketeer!

I've done several closed loop Carib/Bahamas cruises with DCL and have the EB Transatlantic coming up. They were very clear during the TA booking process that this cruise does require a passport. Based on that, I'd wager they would make that clear on any other cruise with ports that require the cruisers to have passports.

I booked on the phone, so can't comment about how that translates when booking on the website.