Party for the Senses 11/8

betterlatethannever

DIS Veteran
The Party for the Senses on November 8 was as good as ever. The only problem is that there isn’t enough time to sample everything. When it was the Grand Tastings at the Odessey, it was 3 hours long. Now it is down to 2.5 hours.

We did not go to the "Eat to the Beat" concert (Chic). As a tip, go there to get your wrist band. That way you won't need to stand in line to register at the Party.

I had heard that the party was sold out (800+) but there really weren’t any lines at the food stations.

There didn't seem to be as many "guest" chefs as in other years. About half the chefs were from Disney.

The entertainers that were there last year (living statures, Devine) weren’t there this year. This year, roller skaters (from Tarzan Rocks?), and performers from Cirque de Soliel were there. Also an artist was set up for drawing “characatures”, but I never did see anybody sitting there having one done. I just don’t think they wanted to spend (waste) the time.

I have a few questions for all those that go to the “Party for the Senses”. (Maybe I should start a poll LOL)

Do you try and sample everything? Or do you pick and choose?

Do you try and get a table and use it as your “base” for the night? or use the tall “stand-up” tables as needed?

The following restaurants/chefs were there. Ratings are 0-5

A.Disney’s Contemporary Resort – David Hutnick, Debra Valle, & Allen Shelton
Seared Beef Tenderloin Satay over Green Papaya Slaw drizzled with Coconut Curry. The beef was a five but the slaw was only a 2

B.Jiko’s: The cooking Place, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge – Anette Grecchi-Grey
Cumin and Lemon Oil Marinated “Ahi” Tuna with Heirloom Bean Salad and Cilantro-Green Chili Yogurt. The tuna was a 3.

C.Flying Fish Café, Disney’s Boardwalk Resort – Dan Madan
Katafi Wrapped Scallops with Pancetta, Preserved Lemons and Rocket. 3

D.Whispering Canyon, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge – Nick Zito & Eugene Ralph
Cappuccino Glazed Lamb Tenderloin served with a Wild Mushroom and Fall Root Vegetable Croquette. 4

E.Café Pepe Restaurant, Tampa, FL – Felix Pierda
Caramelized Zucchini stuffed with Foie Gras, Veal Sweetbreads, and Black Truffles in Roated Piquillo Pepper Sauce finished with a Mix of Cow, Sheep and Goat Cheeses. 3

F.Frontera Grill and Topolobampo, Chicago, IL – Rick Bayless
Pork Pibil on a Banana Leaf
There was an optional hot sauce. Three drops and it was very hot. Wanted to go back and try it without the hot sauce but ran out of time.

G.Tony’s Town Square Restaurant, Magic Kingdom – Thomas Marr
Orange – Balsamic Braised Veal with crispy Wild Mushroom Risotto. 4

H.Barolo, Washington DC – Enzo Fargione
Roasted Pork Loin in Salt and Herb Crust served with Spicy Asparagus, Mushrooms, and Tomato Chutney, with Balsamic Reduction. 4

I.Gallileo, Washington DC – Roberto Donna
Potato Dumpling with Black Truffle Sauce and Chanterelle Mushrooms. 3

J.Charleston grill, Charleston, SC – Bob Waggoner
Coastal Carolina White Shrimp and Lobster Bisque scented with Opal Basil. 3

K.Kona Café, Disney’s Polynesian Resort - Michael Deardorff & Brett Hill
Wok Seared Mushroom Pot Sickers with Taro Root Mash, Miso Wasabi, and Spicy Mustard Sauces. 3

L.Crystal Palace, Magic Kingdom – Douglas James
Pan Seared Pork Tenderloin with Tropical Fruit Macadamia Nut Sambal, Star Anise Sauce, and Thai Green Papaya Puree. 4

M.Wally Joe’s, Memphis, TN – Wally Joe
Spice Crusted Tuna “Sashimi” with Chilled soba Noodle Salad, Soy Syrup, Yuzu, & Wasabi Tobiko. 3

N.Olivia’s Café, Disney’s Old Key West Resort – Stefan Storm & Dustin Selvaggio
Crab Stuffed Shrimp over a Citrus Remoulade. 5

P.Epcot Events – Ken Hittman
Breads served with a selection of International Cheese and Del Monte Fresh Fruit. Did not sample

Q.Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners, Piedmont, Italy – Ugo Mura
Cocoa Tagiolini in a Red Pepper Sauce. 3.5

R.Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners, Piedmont, Italy – Ugo Massaglia
Beef – Meat Bites Old Piedmont Style. 5

The following Desserts were served (really didn’t sample any

S.International Sugar Arts Collection, Atlanta, GA – Nicholas Lodge
Fall Cranberry Pumkin Spice Cake with Grand Marnier Cream Cheese Filling

T.Windsor Court, New Orleans, LA – Keegan Gerhard
Assorted Mignardise: Pate de Gruit, Caramels, Macaroons, Marshmallows, and Truffles

U.Disney’s Polynesian Resort – William Clark
An Assortment of Chocolate filled Shells and Tarts with Tropical Fruits and Creams

V.Epcot – Lothar Neumaier
Wine Cream Cake with Champagne Sabayon & Mango Brulee in Meringue Basket

W.Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners, Piedmont, Italy – Simone Murru
Bonet with Amaretti Cookies and Chocolate

The following Wineries were there:

Note: We didn't sample any beers or champagnes. We typically like white wine better than red. Trying to pair the wines with the food at the Party for the Senses is really hit or miss. You get a sample of food and then you get whatever wine you want (or think would go good with the food). If the Party lasted for 8-10 hours, respectable pairings could be done. I’ll suggest that to Disney. LOL So, keeping in mind the above, we have included ratings on the wines we tasted.

1.Champagne Pommey
Pommery Brut
Pommery Rose
Pommery POP

2.Stags’ Leap Winery
Stags’ Leap Winery Merlot
Stags’ Leap Winery Petite Syrah
Stags’ Leap Winery Viognier – Rated a 2

3.Lindemans
Lindemans Bin 65 Chardonnay – rated a 5
Lindemans Reserve Chardonnay – rated a 2
Lindemans Reserve Shiraz

4.Robert Mondavi, A Family of Wines
Arrowood Grand Archer Chardonnay - 4
Robert Mondavi Chardonnay Reserve - 3
Woodbridge Select vineyard Series Ghost Oak Chardonnay - 2

5.Penfolds
Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz / Cabernet
Penfolds Koonunga Hill Semillon / Chardonnay - 3
Penfolds Bin 28 Shiraz

6.Casa Madero
Cabernet Sauvignon
Chardonnay - 3
Merlot

7.Fess Parker Winery
American Tradional reserve Syrah
Bien Nacido Pinot Noir - 3
Viognier - 3

8.Clos du Bois
Alexander Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
Sonoma County Chardonnay - 3
Sonoma County Merlot

9.Foppiano Vineyards
Cabernet Sauvignon
Petite Sirah
Zinfandel

10.Caymus Vineyards
Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
Conundrum - 5
Mer Soleil Chardonnay - 4
Mer Soleil Late Harvest

11.Interbrew
Stella Artois
Hoegaarden
Bass Ale

12.Castello Banfi
Col di Sasso - 2
Le Rime - 2
Banfi Rosa Regale – (also at the Signature dinner on Nov 9. Fantastic with desserts)

13.Antinori
Peppoli
Tormaresca Chardonnay - 4
Villa Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva

14.St. Clement Winery
St. Clement Napa Chardonnay - 3
St. Clement Napa Merlot
St. Clement Roppas

15.Hartford Family of Wines
Hartford “Russian River” Zinfandel
Hartford “ Sonoma Coast” Chardonnay - 3
Hartford “ Sonoma Coast” Pinot Noir

16.Guenoc Estate Vineyards & Winery
Guenoc Beckstoffer Cabernet Sauvignon
Guenoc Genevieve Magoon Chardonnay - 3
Langtry Meritage Red

17.Remy Martin
Remy Red
Remy VSOP

18.Samuel Adams
Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Samuel Adams Light
Samuel Adams Utopia

19.Mumm Napa
25th Anniversary Cuvee
Brut Presitge
Cuvee M

20.Treana Winery & Liberty School Wine
Liberty School syrah
Treana Red
Treana White - 2

21.Forestville
Domaine Napa Cabervet Sauvignon
Domaine Napa Chardonnay - 3
Sonoma Reserve Chardonnay - 3

22.Kenwood / Valley of the Moon
Jack London Merlot
Sonoma Sauvignon Blanc - 3
Valley of the Moon Sangiovese

23.Castello Banfi, Piedmont Italy
Banfi Perlante - 2
Banfi L’Ardi
Banfi Rosa Regale

24.Marchesi di Barolo
“Cannubi” Barolo
“Maraia.” Marger - 2
Barolo - 3

25.Rosemount Estate
Rosemount Diamond Shiraz
Rosemount Diamond Chardonnay - 4
Rosemount Show Reserve Shiraz

26.Mazzocco
Chardonnay - 3
Matrix
Zinfandel

Since there doesn't seem to be any other Dis'ers that went to the Signature Dinner at the American Adventure on Nov. 9, I'll post a review this weekend.

Chocolate chocolate everywhere "Chocolate ravioli"

Ed

Thank you for this review. It's nice to know what offerings they have at events like this one.

we attended the party of the senses on 11/2. sold out and then some. very long lines at all the food stations.

we typically use the tall tables and mill around to sample food and wine. we get to meet more people that way too. everyone is always willing to share the tall tables, but we found people were not so nice about sharing the tables and chairs.

we typically try to get to all the food stations, but this year a couple were actually closed down by 8:15 in the evening and we didn't get to try what they were offering. the wine stations never had any lines.

we enjoyed this event at the odyssey in 2001 much better..crowds were limited to 300 people ..this crowd was just too big.

we've decided to not participate in this event any more and just concenrate on the reserve or signature dinners.

we did attend the signature dinner at bistro de paris on 11/2. This was an outstanding event. great wines paired with fantastic food. worth every penny!!

glad you enjoyed your party!

Peggy Sue

food stations closing at 8:15. WOW. I would be really upset.

Yes this event is getting bigger and more "out of control".

My DW checked back in our records and proved me wrong in my assumptions of previous wine tastings (either Grand Tastings or the Party) (She likes doing that ;).

Our 1st was in 2000. It went from 7-9 (only two hours) but there were only 9 chefs, only 3 not from Disney (200+ people) (I kon't remember how muuch it cost). That was 4.5 chefs per hour.

2001 (still at the Odessey, 200+ people) had 10 chefs (11 in the program but he made a dessert type food that I put in with the desserts) but lasted from 6:30-9. Down to 4 chefs per hour.

Last year had 14 chefs (8 non Disney), 700+ people, 2.5 hours, Up to 5.6 chefs per hour.

This year I think was unusual becuase it was Italy week, and the Piemonte Cullinary School was at Disney so there were 17 stations(chefs). (I think the other parties this year had about 14 chefs) 800+ people, 2.5 hours, 6.8 chefs per hour.

I'm not getting any younger LOL and Disney is making it much tougher.

We went to the Bistro de Paris Signature Dinner last year. We enjoyed it but not enough to want to do that Signature dinner again if it was scheduled during the time we are there.

Ed

We did the Party on 10/24 and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was our second year. I'm not good at doing the quote things, so I'll try to answer a couple of your questions.

I did manage to try almost everything. The exceptions were I only tried 3 of 6 desserts and I think there were 2-3 other things I didn't try because they just didn't appeal to me. However I did not try as many wines or work as hard at pairing as I did last year. I did what all the diet books say you shouldn't - I ate as much as I could as fast as I could!

There were people who got their caricatures done. When we walked by the artist at around 8:15 he had about 12 names on the list and 10 crossed off and a note that no one else could sign up.

Food stations were still open at the start of Illuminations as I recall. I lingered and ate more! LOL!

While it was very enjoyable, I found many things lukewarm and not as hot as I would have liked. I also wished they had MORE of the stand up tables. We usullay move around, don't hold a table for the night. We had numerous times though, when we didn't know what to do with our empty plate, We had stood and eaten - not used a table and did not want to set the plate on a table where someone was. While there always seemed to be a server to take away plates from table, they didn't seem to be in tune to people standing in the middle of the room with empty plates. And there we no tray stands set up on the side to just deposit a plate if you wanted to.

I liked the statues and Devine last year much more than the "entertainment" this year. I just "did not get" the people walking around in showy clothes.

I wish we could get our hands on the program ahead of time so we could "plan" what we want to try. I was too busy trying to try all the food to really scout out the beverage offerings. Generally, I just sampled whatever was close. At the beginning of the night though, they were pouring VERY small amounts. Not even enough to really enjoy with the food portion.

This year I happened to walk by American Adventure around 3 - 3:30 PM heading back to the hotel to check in and change and lucked out and picked up the wristbands. (I had them put on mine and carried by DH and BiL. It was really great to get it early like that since we don't do the concert and are usually rushing to get DD into Kids Club before heading over.

My biggest regret was not going for seconds at the 2-3 items I thought were 5's.

Next year I'm going to try and get DH to cooperate a bit so we can each get different items, then meet and try them both. That way I'll have room for seconds on the things I like the best (and won't feel like I'm wasting the things I really don't care for. )

We had numerous times though, when we didn't know what to do with our empty plate, We had stood and eaten - not used a table and did not want to set the plate on a table where someone was. While there always seemed to be a server to take away plates from table, they didn't seem to be in tune to people standing in the middle of the room with empty plates. And there we no tray stands set up on the side to just deposit a plate if you wanted to.

Yes, this happened to us too. They did a good job of hiding those tray tables:( . Next year if I remember, I'll watch where the CMs go with the plates.

This year I happened to walk by American Adventure around 3 - 3:30 PM heading back to the hotel to check in and change and lucked out and picked up the wristbands. (I had them put on mine and carried by DH and BiL. It was really great to get it early like that since we don't do the concert and are usually rushing to get DD into Kids Club before heading over.

I didn't realize you could get your wristbands that early. That's good to hear.

We didn't listen to the band this year either. It was Chic. I think that those that went to the concert, got to the party late. Chic didn't start on time and thus ran late. As it was, the 15 minutes getting to the party (getting your plate and glass) from the concert was pushing it.

Next year I'm going to try and get DH to cooperate a bit so we can each get different items, then meet and try them both. That way I'll have room for seconds on the things I like the best (and won't feel like I'm wasting the things I really don't care for. )

Yes, I think we're going to have to think about doing that also. Especially if we are there for only a weekend (like this trip). We ate a lot of food and drank a lot of wine already that day, walking around Epcot.

ED

With the dates for the Festival expanding for next year, I wonder if Disney will consider reducing the headcount for the PoS. Doubtful, as I'm sure they want to maximize headcount (profitability) while still keeping it "manageable".

Will be interesting to see what they do. I'd be surprised if they changed the location as I was told last year that they were very pleased with the location.

Peggy Sue -

Do you have the menu from the Bistro de Paris Signature Dinner? I'd love to know more details of what was served and what you thought of each dish. Thanks!

Brad

I was at the 11/8 PFTS, too! I thought the food was decent, but the item I enjoyed most was the crab stuffed shrimp!
I noticed you also gave high marks for that.

I tried a few wines and enjoyed them, but one of my friends told me that I had to go to the Samuel Adams table to try the Samuel Adams Utopia.

Utopia is a limited edition, made only at the MA facility, very limited quantity. It's the world's most alcoholic beer, so they say, and it didn't look like beer at all! It was served from a thin-necked bulbous bottle, something you'd put a genie into.

It was more like port than anything else, and it was a fun item to sample!

My group of 4 managed to get a table right inside the entrance, but for the life of me, I had a hard time finding the locations of the samples I wanted to try.

I had enjoyed the experience, but I think next year, I'd skip it in favor of (hopefully) trying a Signature or Reserve Dinner.

Originally posted by BriarRosie
... I had a hard time finding the locations of the samples I wanted to try.

We always miss a chef or two as we go through. When we reach the other end, we check off what we had done and it is sometimes a little tricky to find the ones we missed.

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter