Partial sales

woodman5

Earning My Ears
Since my last question was completely answered, here is the next question:
If someone is offering 500 or more points at a given resort, but I dont need that many, can they sell partials? I'm not asking IF they will, only if they COULD?
Thanks again all.

If the 500 points are part of one contract they are not able to be broken up. If there are more than one contracts that add up to the 500 then each contract could be sold separately.

That's one reason I wish I would have bought my 250 points in 2 contracts of 150 and 100. I could see myself selling off the 100 point contract if I'm not going to go to WDW as often. But I bought it as one contract, so it's all or none.

Debbie: You make an excellent point and that's why we're so glad our guide, Nick Tamberrino, was kind enough to point out to us that we needed to buy smaller contracts rather than one big one. We bought 2 150 point contracts at HH and one 160 point at OKW. Thus if we ever decide to sell, we won't have to liquidate all at once plus we see a smaller contract being easier to sell than a large one. I don't know what these people who bought 500, 600 or even 1000 point contracts were thinking. We thank our guide for pointing us in a wise direction. By the way, we love DVC and have no intention of selling now or in the future.

Except that the closing costs would be multiple.
Also, I guess if you have 150 points with an April start date and 100 points with an August start date, you could still work it out to use them all at the same time.

Originally posted by woodman5
Except that the closing costs would be multiple.

If you're buying points direct from DVC, the closing costs are all a part of the cost that DVC charges. So if you want 450 points, I can think of absolutely no reason NOT to insist on three separate 150-point contracts.

DVC will only sell you the same Use Year, so that's not an issue.

Then if you need to sell one or more of the contracts, the new buyer typically pays closing costs. So again, to the holder of the points there are no additional costs.

This situation could be very useful to folks buying such high point totals because they need to travel at holiday periods or need large accommodations for their children. Eventually those children will be out of the house, and you may no longer find yourself needing that many points. With multiple contracts, you can sell off a portion of your ownership and just keep the points that you really need for your new (off-season) travel dates and/or smaller room size.

The part about buying direct from DVC is true...but if purchases were made in the secondary market from private sellers then the seperate closing costs would occur....no ?

Originally posted by woodman5
The part about buying direct from DVC is true...but if purchases were made in the secondary market from private sellers then the seperate closing costs would occur....no ?

Yes. If you purchase multiple contracts in the secondary market, closing costs would apply to each contract.

It is my understanding, however, that if you purchase contracts together in one transaction (i.e., 250 points from the same owner, made up of an initial contract of 200 points and an add on contract of 50 points), there is only one "closing charge" for the transaction. I'm not 100% positive, though, but I'm sure someone will post to confirm or correct.

Best wishes -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter