Part 1: Scotland Trip Report!!! A Brave Adventure, Pre-days in London

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
Well, here it is, my Trip Report for my Scotland: A Brave Adventure ABD! I’'m going to try really, really hard to update this on a fairly regular basis. Fingers crossed I can hold to that!

Pre-days in London

I flew in 6 days before the ABD started. I flew to London first, and spent 4 days there.

I flew out on a Sunday. I had 2 choices of flights. One with a 45 minute connection, and another with a 6 hour connection. I, of course, chose the 6 hours. No way is 45 minutes a good enough buffer! And when my first leg left ½ an hour late, I was really glad I’'d chosen the 6 hours. But Dulles was crowded and chaotic and I just couldn’'t face it for 5½ hours. So I splurged, and went to United'’s Lounge. Worth every penny to spend the time in there rather than out in the chaos. Free wine and snacks helped, too! I went to the Disney store before I went, and said I wanted a “token” from “Brave” to take with me. When the salesgirl came out with Merida, I knew I'’d found my travel companion!

P000Merida_zps6fd76639.jpg

I arrived on Monday after flying overnight. It was pouring rain when I arrived, so I was glad I hadn'’t really planned anything for that day. (I was going to explore the area where the hotel was, near Oxford Street, but I was OK with just hanging out in my room, settling in, watching TV, etc). The hotel was the Park Plaza Sherlock Holmes. I had found the hotel for a friend of mine who is a huge Sherlock Holmes fan (especially the current BBC incarnation). She really loved the location, but said the room, while nice, was REALLY small. I managed to get a really excellent deal on the room, so I splurged for an upgrade, and it was totally worth it, as the room was quite large, quite nice and had a TON of character.

P1000663_zps78288a46.jpg

When I arrived, it turned out they could not check me in because the registration system for all of the Park Plaza hotels was down. So they put my luggage behind the desk, and I walked next door to Pret a Manger for lunch and to wait. It was REALLY humid because of the rain, and I was REALLY tired, but I was in LONDON! I went back about an hour later, and was able to check into my room.

P1000203_zpsc43b525c.jpg

P1000206_zpsd14da220.jpg

I did eventually have to venture out for dinner (the hotel restaurant really didn'’t have anything light that sounded appealing) so I grabbed my umbrella and ventured out to find Patisserie Valerie, which 2BNDisney had recommended. It’'s *similar* to Pret a Manger, but more restauranty (less fast food), with an amazing collection of pastries. I had some lovely soup and quiche, and a couple of yummy macarons. Afterwards, the rain had become more of a drizzle, so I was able to enjoy my walk back to the hotel much more.

I managed to stay up until 10pm, which worked wonderfully for the jet lag.

The next day my main focus was to visit St. Paul’'s Cathedral and then join a friend for dinner and the theater.

It was still a bit drizzly, but I was planning on spending a lot of time inside at St. Paul'’s, so that wasn’'t too bad. The hotel was just up the street from the Baker St. Tube station, which was incredibly convenient.

St. Paul'’s was imposing and beautiful. When I’'d gone to St. Paul’'s in 2011 prior to my Knights & Lights ABD, I'’d gotten there too late to tour. I *did* get to go inside for Evensong services, which was amazing, but I really wanted to be able to see all the areas of the Cathedral, and hopefully climb up into the dome.

P1000209_zps774f7107.jpg

Unfortunately, there are no photos allowed once you enter the Cathedral, so this was the only shot I got, from the entrance area.

P1000214_zps01340e73.jpg

St. Paul’'s is truly, truly gorgeous. Tons of mosaics and sculptures and intricate wood-work line every inch of the place, but it’s not gaudy or over-done. Really spectacular. I did the included audio tour, which I thought was really great. I highly recommend it as a wonderful place to see.

About half-way through my touring, I decided to climb up into the dome. There are 3 levels you can climb to.

P1000239_zps1ed2be3c.jpg

The first level is the Whispering Gallery. It'’s a gallery that goes around the perimeter of the base of the interior of the dome. It overlooks the center of the main floor. It’'s called the Whispering Gallery because two people can supposedly stand on opposite sides of the gallery, and if one person whispers, the other person can hear it clearly on the other side. It didn'’t seem to be working, but maybe I and the others up there were doing it wrong.

You can then climb up to the Stone Gallery. This is a balcony that circles the outside of the Dome. The views from up there are really great.

P1000223_zps15475526.jpg

P1000230_zpse5be9d6e.jpg

P1000234_zps1ab3106b.jpg

P1000238_zpsfc1bafaa.jpg

From there, it’'s a hike up a metal spiral staircase to the highest of the Galleries, the Golden Gallery. The balcony is pretty small, but the views from up there are truly spectacular. I loved it on a cloudy, rainy day. I can only imagine how gorgeous it would be on a sunny day!

P1000246_zps0f9d3c7b.jpg

It's a video! Click.

After a while contemplating the city and my accomplishment (and getting drizzled on) I had to then go back down. (A pain, but much easier than up!) I did more touring of the main Cathedral floor, and then headed back to the hotel. As I headed back to the tube station, I noticed this bus stop.

P1000279_zpsa7c6867c.jpg

I then cleaned myself up and met a friend at a restaurant called 'TAS on the Cut', a really wonderful Turkish restaurant within easy walking distance of the Old Vic theatre, where my friend and I had tickets to see Richard Armitage in “'The Crucible'”. It was a fabulous production, although it was funny hearing all this dialog from a very American play done in various British accents! I had a fabulous time.

P1000300_zpsff3c1d97.jpg

The next day, I had planned quite a while in advance to go to the Harry Potter Studios Tour in Levensden, outside of London. Yes, I’'m a geek and proud of it!

I took the tube to London Euston station (just a couple of stops away from the Baker Street station) and caught the train to Watford Junction (a less than 20 minute ride). At Watford Junction, there is a shuttle bus you can take directly to the Warner Brothers studio. This studio is actually where much of the Harry Potter films were shot, and they have the actual sets with the props and costumes used for the films. If you are a Harry Potter fan, this is a really great experience. I spent 5½ hours there, wandering, listening to the audio tour (an extra charge that was well worth it to me) and reading tons about the film and the actors and how they did a lot of the cinematic magic that they did. I found it fascinating, and I really loved it!

P1000304_zps9bb6b0a3.jpg

Snape!

P1000306_zpsad99b227.jpg

You watch a short presentation, then the first area you enter is the Great Hall. It was really cool walking down the Great Hall, with long tables along the sides, and the costumes for the main professors standing at the end of the Hall.

P1000326_zps7a89d131.jpg

Along with all the paraphernalia of the Great Hall, they had costumes for each of the 4 Houses.

P1000331_zps155e9886.jpg

As you walked through the vast areas of the exhibits, they had miniatures, costumes, wigs, props, sets, etc. all set up. Most of the exhibits in the first area were actual sets (the Gryffindor common room, Dumbledore’'s office, the Potions classroom, etc.) set up with costumes used on those sets, and the actual furniture, props, etc., used there. The attention to detail is impressive!

P1000359_zpsd7d6c327.jpg

P1000365_zps2b4d132f.jpg

P1000375_zpsa06f7e96.jpg

P1000388_zps84d26826.jpg

P1000395_zpsa9061618.jpg

P1000414_zpsf0358e06.jpg

Continued in next post

Last edited:
Roughly in the middle of the tour, there is an outdoor area (fortunately, it wasn’t raining!) where they had the bridge from Hogwarts, the Knight Bus, the Potters’ cottage, #4 Privet Drive, a bit of the Chess board, and Tom Riddle Sr’s tombstone.

I bought some light lunch there (a sandwich), and just relaxed for a bit.

P1000510_zps537bbd4e.jpg

P1000519_zps7fa45e0a.jpg

P1000511_zps7bd55a82.jpg

P1000523_zps95c43322.jpg

Then you go on to an area where they had a lot of the prosthetics and dummies used for the films.

P1000537_zps60b29c36.jpg

In this area, they also had Diagon Alley set up for you to walk through.

P1000562_zpsbabb545d.jpg

And then you walked through an area with some amazing miniatures, mock-ups and sketches and background paintings.

P1000571_zps91deaeee.jpg

That leads you into an area where they had a “surprise”, the entire small-scale model of Hogwarts, used for “fly-throughs” and establishing shots. Again, the attention to detail was amazing.

P1000592_zps7f24f950.jpg

One of my favorite parts was a temporary exhibit they had on the green screen effects they did, particularly focusing on the broomsticks

Check out this video from that exhibit. If you're impatient, the fun part starts 2 minutes in!

Once you’re done with the tour, you are, of course, dumped into the extensive gift shop. If you’ve been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, it’s similar merchandise, but quite a bit more in the way of selection.

Merida makes a friend

P1000624_zps059d8af8.jpg

It was a relatively short wait to catch the shuttle back to Watford Junction and then catch the train back to the hotel.

P1000646_zps719ec9ea.jpg

I bought some dinner, and ate in my room, while relaxing and doing some posting to facebook.

Then it was time for some much needed sleep.

Unfortunately, that plan was not quite to be. About 3am, I got a call from a co-worker. Him: “I wasn’t sure if you’d left the country yet”. Me: “Um, yes, a few days ago. I’m in London.” Him: “OK, then I’ll call our boss. Never mind.” Now let’s see. You have a choice of calling a co-worker who is on vacation, probably out of the country in a place 5 hours ahead of you, or you call the boss, who is an hour earlier than you (9pm by him). Yep, sure, calling the co-worker in London is what we’d all go for, right? I finally managed to get back to sleep when, yep, at 5:30 in the morning, I got a call from none other than my boss. Apparently, 2½ hours later, they STILL hadn’t figured out how to fix the issue. So I spent the next hour on the phone (I could hardly say at that point “I’m on vacation, tough, figure it out for yourselves”). I cannot believe that FOUR co-workers, most of them pretty experienced, couldn’t figure this out in 2½ hours, and it took me talking them through it on the phone from London to get it fixed. Ah, well, I guess that might be considered job security…

So I finally managed to get back to sleep, but it wasn't the early morning I was intending.

Once I finally got up (*just* in time for breakfast at the hotel) I headed off for the 2 things on today’s agenda: The British Museum and checking out the WWI art installation at the Tower of London.

Luckily, the weather had finally broken, and it was brightly sunny outside! So I decided my first stop would be to check out the art installation at the Tower, as it was outside, and the British Museum would be inside.

There is a temporary art installation at the Tower of London that consists of one red ceramic poppy for every British military person who died in WWI. They are slowly adding the poppies (there will eventually be 888,246 poppies). The result is a sea of red flowing from a window in the tower, down through the moat. Even without all of the poppies there yet, it’s a powerful installation.

P1000713_zpsd7732779.jpg

P1000785_zps09b27cb2.jpg

P1000691_zpsf3824c0b.jpg

P1000717_zps4c0c8041.jpg

I walked around, taking tons of photos, and enjoying the warmth and sunshine.

P1000732_zps63d21b96.jpg

After I was done at the Tower (I didn’t go inside, since we’d done an extensive tour of it when I was there in 2011) I headed to the British Museum. The main things I wanted to see were the Rosetta Stone, an exhibit of mummies they had, and the Elgin Marbles.

P1000801_zpsf790e38a.jpg

The Rosetta stone, while very cool, was a bit disappointing, because it was totally mobbed, and you couldn’t really get close without tons of people in your way (don’t know how I managed to get this shot). The glass was also pretty glarey, and it was kind of hard to see the detail. I was glad I saw it, but I think the idea of the Stone was better in this case than the actuality.

P1000814_zps95932679.jpg

I wandered through the Museum, checking out the mummies, and an area showing friezes from ancient Assyria.

P1000880_zps34689490.jpg

P1000844_zps8fb0870b.jpg

P1000921_zps9fbce97a.jpg

The highlight for me was the large hall containing the Elgin marbles. These marbles used to decorate the exterior of the Parthenon in Athens. An Englishman named Lord Elgin removed them from the Parthenon in the early 1800’s, and took them back to England. They were purchased by Parliament and gifted to the British Museum. Problem is, he really didn’t have Greece’s permission to take them, and Greece wants them back. England had promised to return them to Greece, so a museum was built right below the Acropolis to house them. Unfortunately, England has yet to return them, so there are reproductions in the Museum of the Acropolis right now. I saw the reproductions when I was in Athens last year, but I really wanted to see the originals. And I was right; there is really no comparison between the originals and the reproductions. The real marbles, although damaged and incomplete, are magnificent, and tell a cool story.

P1000956_zps694944a9.jpg

P1000949_zpsfc5d38a0.jpg

I spent a good amount of time looking at each marble, reading the plaques beneath each one. In fact, I was still there when the museum guards started herding everyone out because the museum was closing.

I then caught the Tube to Charing Cross Station. (Love the mural there!)

P1000973_zps1667ff41.jpg

I was meeting my friend again for dinner at an Italian restaurant called Salieri’s. VERY nice restaurant, delicious food. (We both had different Welsh lamb dishes. Yumm!)

P1000993_zps321db321.jpg

I made my way back to the Hotel to pack up and get ready to leave, because the next day, I was catching the train to Edinburgh!

Continued in Part 2: Pre-days in Scotland

Last edited:
Amazing beginning of your trip report!! Cannot wait to see more! Love the videos too!!

Awesome trip report so far! Love the Merida doll :) The Harry Potter Studios tour is definitely on our must do list for whenever we make it to London. We are doing the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando for the first time before a Thanksgiving cruise on the Dream this November. But the studios look fantastic. Can't wait to read more of your report and relive Scotland.

Awesome trip report so far! Love the Merida doll :) The Harry Potter Studios tour is definitely on our must do list for whenever we make it to London. We are doing the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando for the first time before a Thanksgiving cruise on the Dream this November. But the studios look fantastic. Can't wait to read more of your report and relive Scotland.
Thanks, Calfan! I think people enjoyed Merida. :) I sure hope so!

I did the Wizarding World of Harry Potter almost 3 years ago. It's very, very cool. I really want to go now that they've expanded it. The studios was also a wonderful experience. I highly recommend it!

I'm going to my High School Reunion, but I'm hoping to have Part 2 up soon after I get back next week!

Sayhello

Loving your pre trip report! Great pics, video and descriptionsLooking forward to more!

So jealous about Harry Potter and the amazing pop up art display at the Tower!
:) The Harry Potter Studio tour opened a few months after my Knights & Lights tour. I swore next chance I got to go to London, I'd do the tour. So great! And when I heard about the art installation at the Tower, I was so happy to see that it was going to be there while I was in London. A nice bit of Serendipity!

Sayhello

YAY for so many reasons!

1) a SayHello trip report is always reason to celebrate

2) mmmmm, Pret A Manger, nom nom nom

3) We get to hear your voice on the video! Now I have a voice to hear in my head for your reports, other than my own. Bonus!

4) So happy to read your report on the WB Studios tour. We are counting down the days til we get to do it. And I love your pictures - it will be nice to have the "regular" look to compare to when we see the Christmas overlay.

5) Something to look forward to now - more updates! And you haven't even gotten to Scotland!

YAY for so many reasons!

1) a SayHello trip report is always reason to celebrate
Awwwww... :lovestruc

2) mmmmm, Pret A Manger, nom nom nom
Yep! Always yummy!

3) We get to hear your voice on the video! Now I have a voice to hear in my head for your reports, other than my own. Bonus!
Heheheheh! Wait until you hear my voice on the video in Part 2. Funny stuff!

4) So happy to read your report on the WB Studios tour. We are counting down the days til we get to do it. And I love your pictures - it will be nice to have the "regular" look to compare to when we see the Christmas overlay.
The WB Harry Potter Studio tour was so great! You are going to love it!! Are you saying WB is doing a Christmas overlay? I hadn't heard that. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures of it!

5) Something to look forward to now - more updates! And you haven't even gotten to Scotland!
Southwest cancelled my flight (through Chicago) so my trip got postponed. So I'm hoping to have Part 2 up in the next day or two!
Sayhello

Joining in. I have always wanted to go to Scotland and I am looking forward to reading the rest.

We will hold you to that ;)

I'm just starting to think about ABD's for 2016 and Scotland is way up there. I feel like I always say that... definitely top 5 :D

We will hold you to that ;)

I'm just starting to think about ABD's for 2016 and Scotland is way up there. I feel like I always say that... definitely top 5 :D
OK, now I have to do it! :) And it's a wonderful trip. You'll love it!

Sayhello

Is the British Museum the one which houses one of the Caryatids in the Erechtheion in Athens?

Is the British Museum the one which houses one of the Caryatids in the Erechtheion in Athens?
Well, I just looked that up, and yes, it is. :) But I didn't see it there. I didn't realize they had one of them. I guess Lord Elgin "liberated" that, too. The rest are in the Museum of the Acropolis in Athens (or at least they were when I was there in 2013) being cleaned. Really cool seeing them up close. They had reproductions holding up the Erechteion at the time.

Sayhello

ETA: I checked, and it looks like they're an actual installation in the Museum of the Acropolis. At least for now. :)

http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/en/content/erechtheion

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter