Park wheelchair rental questions

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by pfanny37, Jun 4, 2014.

1. pfanny37

pfanny37 Earning My Ears

Long time reader, first time poster.

My father-in-law is planning on renting a wheelchair at the parks each day (he is worried about the amount of walking/standing required). Our plan is to arrive at rope drop, and hit one of the rides we didn't fast pass before getting a wheelchair. The Disney website warns that wheelchairs run out quickly. Any guesses (I know nothing is certain) on how late would be too late to still get a rental?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Common sense is so rare, should be a Super Power.

If staying at a WDW resort, get one at the resort through the Concierge.
    . . . give credit card deposit, not room-chargeable (in case not returned)
    . . . free rental
    . . . use it at resort and in the parks

4. Gracie09

Gracie09 DIS Veteran

Except they run out and often aren't in the best condition. Op I would look at an offsite rental. More economical and you have the entire time you are there

5. pfanny37

pfanny37 Earning My Ears

Thanks for the responses. We are staying at the Wyndham at DTD, and he only wants to rent it from the park each day (as is typical, he prefers to do the opposite of what i suggest, and he doesn't want to fight with it on the bus).

6. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

They are very likely to run out of ECVs, but wheelchairs at the parks are in pretty good supply.
    Except for really super busy times, I have not heard of them running out of wheelchairs.

7. POOHsie

POOHsie DIS Veteran

Pretty sure you can get the wheelchair at the front gate before RD. Then you wouldn't have to go back for it. Anybody know for sure?

8. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

I know Epcot has some. Early in the morning, they usually have wheelchairs just after the bag check and before the ticket booths.

9. pfanny37

pfanny37 Earning My Ears

Thank you! That would be awesome if we could get it as we enter.

10. Mrsjvb

Mrsjvb DIS Veteran

not the best advice

they tend to be in CRAPPY condition( like the ones they have at TTC and parking/bus loading areas) and there tend to be very few of them at all. having had to use the TTC ones on more than one occasion: missing wheels, stuck wheels, wheels that fall off, wheels that do not steer.

if he doesn't want or need one at all times, you can get length of stay rentals in the parks at a discount. you pay for each day and even if you park hop you do not have to pay a second time, just turn in your receipt to get a new chair at the second park.

11. bidnow5

bidnow5 DIS Veteran

I had to use a resort wheelchair once at the resort it was always trying to go to the right no way we could have pushed it all day at the parks

12. Michigan

Michigan Mom of the Rolling Crew

13. bidnow5

bidnow5 DIS Veteran

The problem with transport chairs is the small wheels are harder to push and are much bumpier so in places like animal kingdom it's gets very tiring

14. blondietink

blondietink DIS Veteran

We found a transport chair that has 12 inch back wheels and stroller type front wheels. Is much easier than those small hard wheels that come on many transport chairs.

15. jenniy122

jenniy122 Mouseketeer

Is he going to walk back with you to get the wheelchair? The walk from the entrance of the park (where the wc are) to a ride can be a looooong walk. Last trip I had an injured ankle, and didn't need a wheelchair the whole time, but not getting it first thing in the morning sometimes meant not being able to even walk back to the rental counter. Like the day we were in Epcot. Did RD, headed straight to Soarin, did Nemo, and my ankle was done for the day, I could barely make it to the nearest bench to wait for my companion to bring the chair back to me. Big mistake on my part not paying attention to my body.

I wouldn't worry about them running out of chairs though. It's true we were there in the slow season, but we got them at all times of day in different parks and there always were plenty.

16. pfanny37

pfanny37 Earning My Ears

Thanks. I made all our fastpasses and plans prior to him deciding he might want a wheelchair. I'm hearing conflicting reports about where the rental places are. We are only going to be at Epcot for about 3 hours (just doing the kiddie things and soarin with my 4 year old so not wanting one there. Where are the rental places for the other three parks?

17. Betty Rohrer

Betty Rohrer DIS Veteran

the wheelchair rentals are near the front gate usually with the stroller rentals. I second getting before you head to rides even at rope drop because you have to come all the way back to front gate to get. there used to be some places where you could replace a chair if having a problem with one without going to the front of park but you had to already have rented it, could not rent there

18. Michigan

Michigan Mom of the Rolling Crew

At MK it is on the right side just pass the entry next to guest services. EPCOT is on the left side after entry. HS is on the right side just after entry. AK is on the right side after entry.