park recommendations needed for 7 yr old girl

stellaxzwang

Earning My Ears
Hello Orlando experts. I am in need of some help planning our trip in Orlando next week. We will be arriving late Sat and leaving mid day Thur. A total of 4 days (may be 4.5 if we push it) play time.

DD is 7 and is not into really thrill rides. She loves water but is not a strong swimmer. Last time we took her to Great Wolf Lodge water park, she enjoyed the lazy water the most and refused to do any of the big water rides. She likes tall slides, but not so much the twisty ones.

She had been to Disney Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studio, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot 2 years ago and she said she doesn't want to go back to any of these this time.

SeaWorld is an only definite so far. Discovery Cove, Aquatica, Universal Studio, Island of Adventure, LEGOLAND, Kennedy space center, Bushe Garden as possible maybes. Discovery cove sounds like her speed but not sure the extra cost is really worth it. I am under the impression that Aquatica and Island of Adventure may be too much of a thrill ride park for her to fully enjoy it. Is this a correct assessment? I would like to give her a varied experience while trying to keep the cost reasonable. Suggestions / Advise?

Much appreciated!

Discovery Cove and Aquatica would be excellent choices for a 7 year old who's not into big thrills.

While Aquatica does have big slides, it also has a multitude of "low impact" features.....a beautiful sand beach, dual wave pools, a huge (and I mean HUGE!) interactive family play structure, a tubeless lazy river with a swift current (where almost everyone, adults included, wear life jackets), and a traditional lazy river (a la tubes) with special features like a gorgeous aquarium built right into the under-bridge passage. Then there are Commerson dolphin training sessions to watch, huge turtles, and exotic birds. Easily somewhere you could spend a whole day and never be bored.

Discovery Cove.....everything is a thrill, but not because of big rides. Thrilling in the sense of incredible experiences. Swimming with rays and tropical fish. Watching the asian otters and marmosets play in the FreshWater Oasis. Feeding the birds in the free-flying aviary. Random animal encounters (a sloth, an armadillo....). Floating your way around the Wind Away River (sooooo peaceful and relaxing....and LONG....it takes about 20 minutes to do a full rotation). Then there's the dolphin interaction, which is usually the highlight for most. You get to feed, kiss, and "swim" with the dolphin (where you hand onto the dolphin's back and it "drags" you through the water), and the latter can even be done in shallow water if that's where the guest is most comfortable. Lifejackets are provided for anyone who wishes to use them.

If you buy your admission to Discovery Cove, 14 days admission to both SeaWorld and Aquatica are included, so it makes the cost much easier to bear. You can even add on a 14 day parking pass for SW & AQ for just $30....another great savings. And remember that your DC day includes breakfast, lunch, all snacks, all beverages (including alcohol), your parking, and a 6 x 8 family photo.

My recommendations would to definitely do SW, AQ & DC.

Gina - this is very helpful. I saw this option and was wondering if these 3 parks are too similar for the same trip... What would you differentiate SW from QA and DC? It looks that I need to go buy a water-proof camera for this trip :)

Gina - this is very helpful. I saw this option and was wondering if these 3 parks are too similar for the same trip... What would you differentiate SW from QA and DC? It looks that I need to go buy a water-proof camera for this trip :)

Each of the parks belongs to the same family (with a huge focus overall on marine animals) but each offer totally different experiences.

Aquatica is a true water park. Slides, pools, splishing, splashing.

Seaworld is a theme park. Spectacular shows, wonderful animal exhibits, the coolest aquariums, thrill rides, kiddie rides, carnival-style games, and fun shops. The shows are really, REALLY well done and are not to be missed. Your 7 year old would probably adore some time in Shamus Happy Harbor, where many of the rides are quite mild (but still good enough for Mom and Dad too....yours truly has enjoyed more than one ride on the Sea Carousel). Some of the park features like Turtle Trek, Antarctica, the Sky Tower and Wild Arctic can all be enjoyed as a family regardless of thrill tolerances (Antarctica has a mild version, and Wild Arctic has a non-motion side). The animal feedings are a super cool experience and should be budgeted for if possible. The park is gorgeous and you can spend hours just strolling around and seeing all the awesome things there are to see.

Discovery Cove is its own unique beast. Its an experience. Its like being marooned on a tropical island for the day but with staff to make sure you have everything you need, all day long. Its not really a water park IMHO. And its not your typical theme park.

Here are some of my favourite videos that sum up the SeaWorld family of parks:

Discovery Cove:

Aquatica:

SeaWorld:

I am like your DD. I am totally not into thrills (I quite dislike being dropped, spun, shaken or otherwise jostled around). The SeaWorld parks have always been a special place for me. I am certain she would have a wonderful time there....as will you :) .

Gina - you are awesome. This is great!

I don't swim, but have done snorkeling before with life jacket on with DH's help. Hope he can handle both me and DD at the same time this time :)

Gina - you are awesome. This is great!

I don't swim, but have done snorkeling before with life jacket on with DH's help. Hope he can handle both me and DD at the same time this time :)

Happy to help :goodvibes .

Some areas of the Grand Reef are quite shallow....I am pretty short and could stand up in many places and still have my feet on the ground. Even just steps from the sandy shoreline, there will be huge rays swimming between your feet!

I booked DC for Tuesday! A little worried about the cloudy / shower forecast. Pray that it will change for the better ;)

I am going to Discovery Cove, Seaworld and Aquatica the last week of May. I have a 6 year old (along with a 9 and 10 year old) and he is super excited about going to all 3 parks. I'm sure you will have a blast. As for the rain, my understanding is that it doesn't impact your Discovery Cove visit unless there is lightning. I know my kids get a real kick out of swimming in the rain (I guess it's the novelty of it), so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I booked DC for Tuesday! A little worried about the cloudy / shower forecast. Pray that it will change for the better ;)

Woohoo!

I wouldn't fret about the weather......you could get a totally different forecast by that morning versus what they are predicting now. We've had many Florida days where rain was threatened and never materialized.

Have a wonderful trip!

No problem with the rain at DC. We went in June 2012 and it rained most of the day - not that we noticed. The only thing it really stopped us doing was lazing around on the loungers! You will have a blast I am sure.

I know I can't wait to go back in August this year.

Discovery Cove and Aquatica are musts for us every trip. I agree with Gina's descriptions. DC is such a nice break from the WDR parks. It does feel like you're on a tropical island in the middle of the state. I don't know if there is one attraction that our family enjoys more than the Roa Rapids (fast lazy river in Aquatica). Aquatica can be a nice day even if you are not into the larger slides (like me, DW and DD14). I believe a pass to Aquatica is also included with your DC day, so if you have time I would do it.

We took our six kids to SW/Aquatica/BG last May, including a DD that had just turned 8. (See sig for other ages.) :)
She would redo any of those parks in a moment. She also loved Lego Land.
She is a strong swimmer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!