Parents...make up your minds!

I did not say people. I said the OP. People who have a difficult time assessing danger should let another person do it. Not because of a lack of coping skills, but because assessing risks accurately is a learned skill. Look, I was trying to get perspective and share it. If that makes me look like I am arguing or disagreeing, I am deeply sorry for the offense.
Maybe it is me, but you seem to be insulting the OP more than anybody hwre on the thread.

You have diagnosed her with lack of coping skills, unable to assess a real world situation, and many other things. But you are doing it passive aggressively, claiming understanding of her mental deficits.

At least everbody else is just disagreeing with her, not telling her that everybody should gentle because the OP can't cope. You are diagnosing and talking about her like she can't read the thread.

Last edited:
Maybe it is me, but you seem to be insulting the OP more than anybody hwre on the thread.

You have diagnosed her with lack of coping skills, unable to assess a real world situation, and many other things. But you are doing it passive aggressively, claiming understanding of her mental deficits.

At least everbody else is just disagreeing with her, not telling her that everybody should gentle because the OP can't cope. You are diagnosing and talking about her like she can't read the thread.
I sincerely apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding.

Littleblackegg, I'm trying to understand your posts. I *think" you are are saying that the OP appears to be someone who has difficulty assessing actual danger, at least to children, so she should therefore refer her concerns about what she perceived as an unattended child to someone higher in authority. Is that correct?

That's what I am getting out of it too. The problem is that passing every single concern up to authority can sometimes have drastic consequences. Parents have had their children taken away for things as innocuous as letting them walk to the park at a reasonable age. My DD liked to walk home from school in middle school. Several of my neighbors had concerns about it and I'm glad they spoke to me instead of calling child protective services. I know that most of the time CPS is reasonable, but it just takes one to really mess up your day.

Last edited:
I what I am getting out of it too. The problem is that passing every single concern up to authority can sometimes have drastic consequences. Parents have had their children taken away for things as innocuous as letting them walk to the park at a reasonable age. My DD liked to walk home from school in middle school. Several of my neighbors had concerns about it and I'm glad they spoke to me instead of calling child protective services. I know that most of the time CPS is reasonable, but it just takes one to really mess up your day.

Oh, absolutely! I hope I didn't come across as if I agree with her on this thread. I was just attempting to decipher what on earth she is trying to say.

That's what I am getting out of it too. The problem is that passing every single concern up to authority can sometimes have drastic consequences. Parents have had their children taken away for things as innocuous as letting them walk to the park at a reasonable age. My DD liked to walk home from school in middle school. Several of my neighbors had concerns about it and I'm glad they spoke to me instead of calling child protective services. I know that most of the time CPS is reasonable, but it just takes one to really mess up your day.
By "authority," I mean a person who is immediately handy and has more direct responsibility for the overall safety of the environment. Perhaps a security guard, a manager, or a police officer if one happens to be handy. I did not mean calling 911 or calling in a report of abuse/neglect, which would be a waste of time and also disruptive and traumatic. I think saying to your manager, "Hey, I'm not sure, but I think that kid has been sitting there for half an hour and I haven't seen a parent. Could you check on this?" could certainly be appropriate.

I am a psychiatric RN. I have several areas in which I work: forensics, adult acute care, substance dependance, and kids/adolescents. Since I am partially retired, I do a lot of consulting work for the court.
I remember you saying a while back , on a wedding thread, that you were a Wedding planner.didnt you?

I remember you saying a while back , on a wedding thread, that you were a Wedding planner.didnt you?
No. I am not a wedding planner. I occasionally work with wedding planners. I have a little business on the side helping couples incorporate cultural elements and traditions into their weddings. It's just a little business. Just a few ceremonies a year.

I don't understand how some people can be so careless with their kids, but then want to chew you out because you were doing something to protect them (i.e. talking to them, letting security that the child seems to be unsupervised, etc.). Drives me crazy.

I was just telling my sister this the other day. We were at our church for an event, and the hall where the event was has many different exits, including a secluded hallway to the restrooms. I watched in disbelief as kids 7 and younger were allowed to run all over the hall, even into the hallway (which would keep them out of site) and no one was trying to do anything to stop them. Not only was the place packed with tables and chairs (and people!) so the running around was actually disruptive to other attendees, it was dangerous because at any moment any person could come in right from the street (which did happen on this night). I guess the parents felt confident because its a church function, but I wouldn't get so complacent knowing that sometimes is the people you KNOW that do stuff to kids, let alone complete strangers you don't know from Adam. I am a Sunday School teacher so sometimes the kids like to trail behind me or sit with me in church, and I wouldn't dare let them out of my sight while under my care. They sometimes protest but every time they ask to use the bathroom I go with them, because you just never know. If I am like that with strangers' kids, it is difficult for me to fathom that some parents just seem too secure in leaving kids to their own devices, especially young ones.

For the first part of your story why would they let their 5-7 year old kids play within a church hall when they were at times out of the parents sight you ask? Because some of us parents have trust that the things we have taught our children prior to this event (and I mean lots of little work not just a quick chat 5 minutes before walking in) is enough to allow the leash to be extended to this degree, not enough to walk home from school alone or play at the park alone, but enough that while I am in the same building that the stories we have read about "stranger" danger and keeping themselves safe, and the guidelines and discussions we have had with them around what is and is not appropriate (and I dont mean the being disruptive that is a separate issue they should have dealt with) will be enough to keep them safe. Let me ask you-to your knowledge were any of the kids present kidnapped or abused in anyway? Chances are no so what the parents did was perfectly fine. These kids are likely in much more danger at school then they were at this event.
We talk to our kids about "strangers" regularly, particularly because of our visits to places like Disney and the chance of them getting lost. We talk about who a stranger is and no offence intended but if we went to your church (we dont go to any church) it would include you as the Sunday teacher, the fact that you would take kids this age to the bathroom would raise a red flag with me.
We talk with our kids about who a stranger is, what you should expect a safe adult to do in various situations etc. We do this the same way we discuss what to do if a dog attacks or there is a fire or an earthquake.

Sorry, I guess it wasn't clear. Do you want me to help your kid or do you want me to ignore them? Is the world this abyss of danger or is your child okay to be left in toy departments, sat at tables a long way away from you are or play on mechanical stairs? I can guarantee that if anything had happened, those parents would be blubbering on the news about the evils of the world.

The thing is in the case of the kid in the food court-she didnt need your help.
Sadly we live in a world where lots of people dont get involved (I can tell you about a time I was stuck in a weird traffic jam on a small suburban road, when the car in front of me stopped and put on its hazards the driver got out and picked up a 18month (ish) old kid in nothing but a diaper from the road (obviously mom was hanging washing or something kid had worked out how to open the door and boom) the jam was caused by the several cars before them that had carefully driven around this kid instead of stopping and getting involved) and its great that you are willing to help. But going to talk to a 5 year old, who was not upset when you knew where their parent was is at the very least noisy. At worst it could be viewed as the sort of predator I warn my kids about (Oh you bought a barbie, you like Barbies me too, you know I have heaps of them in my car want to come look)

My name by the way is Cijay. Just thought I'd let you know. 'the OP' is so unfriendly and (as 7yr niece says) 'just plain barfy'.

You just brought up a good point that I hadn't thought of. Why did this paranoid mother sit her child at the table next to me then turn her back? I mean, if I was such a threat...or all of us were in the food court...why didn't she keep her on a short leash and take her to McDicks before sitting down? Good question!

Why would this mother leave the kid? You said they were school age and they were within eye sight of their mother-close enough that you when talked to her the mother came over to tell you where to go. In a busy food court full of people. My DD6 knows enough that she wouldnt go with a "stranger" (including an old preschool teacher, a soccer coach, a friends parent etc) without my permission no matter what they said(dont care what supper awesome toy you have, or lost puppy etc) if you dont have the password she wont go anywhere with you. Furthermore if you tried to take her by force she knows that manners are not the most important thing and if she was to feel really uncomfortable in a situation to scream at the tops of her lungs.

This still reminds me of the family that left their child at Epcot for 3 hours while they drank in Mexico. They got him an Agent P phone "after dinner" and told him that he could keep playing until the fire works but needed to stay in the country they were in.

They wanted him to play that for 3 hours in ONE country? Ugh! China can work for about an hour (at least when it was KimP) but Mexico?

The parents who would leave a child unattended at the mall are probably not the same ones complaining about stranger danger.

It's been said already, but literally it was exactly the same parents in the OP's experiences.

Where do you live where you can buy drug and guns in the mall?

She said that it was in the area of the foodcourt she was in.

The first experience was at her store.

The second experience was at a 2 story place with a coffee shop where she was.

The third experience was a food court in a bad part of town.

I find it intriguing that so many people think this is all from her store at a mall.

But I mean, in general. If you saw a lost child what would you do?

I learned from my mom. You stay close to the child, you work to alert the authority figures. So, a cast member at Disney, a store employee if you aren't an employee, a manager if you are. Never EVER touch the child. Never ever EVER have the child leave the area. EVER. (unless I was a Disney CM whose job it was to take the child to the lost parents area) Just watch over the child.

What would you have done if the 21st time your 'grand' went down, he got complacent, he fell and his face got chewed off? If you were my parent, you would not be taking my kids any place ever again.

Exactly. Glad the kid didn't go that 21st time.

Then you put the kid in an impossible situation because then she had to choose between obeying the no talking to strangers rule or being really rude to the nice lady asking about her toy.

If she's not mature enough to do that, then that little experiment has shown her to be too immature to be on her own. Yay! The OP helped.

I can see Mother's panic here-she left child to look at the toys....you then walk her to front of store-near doors to outside-if I was that Mother I'd be upset also.
Altho you were doing what you thought was OK-Mother saw her kid being led away and she panicked. Does not make that a bad Mom

When on earth did she say the front *of the store*, or that "the front" was near the outside???

The mom was a bad mom because she caused panic and tears in her child for NO good reason.

"Half an hour later, 6year old is wandering around in tears."

That is what the OP said. We don't know where she was wandering, how far out of the toy area she got. The OP later described the store, so really, the little girl could have been anywhere in the store.

My name is Cijay. It's okay to use it, we do that here.

OP, your name really looks like C l jay to my eyes; I feel that it might be C i jay, but I can't seem to focus on it (might be time for new glasses). So I don't see your name as being a name. OP is simple, easy, and time-honored. I don't think you're getting bent out of shape about name vs OP, but I wanted to explain why I'm using OP.

If you aren't comfortable with your child being approached by a store employee, don't leave them alone in a store.

Supervise your child on an escalator by being with them to help them if they get in trouble. Watching them die from the top won't do a thing.

If you don't want strangers to talk to your child, don't leave them out of your sight line in public places.

Yes.
Yes. and
Yes.

Heck, most of the time nobody really cares who started the thread. I know I don't usually look, so using OP is going to be used.

Agreed. 100%. I like not knowing who the OP is, because it allows me to give a bias-free answer.

The child on the escalator, you were not even at work in all these jobs you work at, therefore, you were not security there. If you thought that an ounce of prevention crap was needed, why didn't you call mall security?

She DID have them called. She was at a coffee shop, she asked the server to call security, security came or answered the server over the phone who told the OP. She did exactly that.

Yet when she returned, her 5 year old was talking to a strange older woman, which the mother realized is not a normal thing an older woman would do.

Huh. Where do some of you live? Here in my area we talk to others. Even a kid. Especially an "older" woman. In my circle, we watch out for others. I also know that kids, playing with new toys, WANT others to notice the toys and admire them. I bet the kid liked having the toy admired.

I have left my three kids at a table in the food court too go and get food

1. yikes
2. 3 kids is sooooo different than 1. Unless there's a big age gap between #1 and #2, you don't know this, but when you just have the 1, they can feel so small for so long. And 1 kid is just so much more vulnerable.

But there are certain things that just don't soak into your consciousness until you actually experience them.

Totally forgot what I was going to write and had to go back and find it. Editing this in. ;)

Your situation...you left your child, and felt mama bear that someone was talking to her when you got back. Your takeaway was that things you did when you were single were wrong.

I would take away that leaving my child like that was wrong. This is so close to the OP's situation it's hardly funny. The kids are being left in a situation where strangers might talk to them, and this is a big bad NO for the parents, but the parents are LEAVING them! It makes absolutely NO sense to a parent who sees it the other way, or to anyone who sees it that other way.

If I were the parent in the OP's situations, or in your situation with the daycare provider, to me, it would be a ME fail, not a universe/other person shouldn't talk to a kid, fail. That's MY fault. I'm the parent that left the child, when I'm so afraid of the world that I can't handle it if a person talks to my child. I'm the one who will be changing my behavior. That's MY takeaway.

Because some of us parents have trust that the things we have taught our children prior to this event (and I mean lots of little work not just a quick chat 5 minutes before walking in) is enough to allow the leash to be extended to this degree.... but enough that while I am in the same building that the stories we have read about "stranger" danger and keeping themselves safe, and the guidelines and discussions we have had with them around what is and is not appropriate (and I dont mean the being disruptive that is a separate issue they should have dealt with) will be enough to keep them safe.

The poster described the issues with thebhilding she was talking about.

And this new article is what comes to mind when I read what you said.

"2-year-old Teekah was last seen at the New Frontiers Bowling Alley in Tacoma, Washington with her family on January 23, 1999.

She was playing a race-car video game in the arcade section of the bowling alley around 10:00 and 10:15pm. She was a few feet away from her family and six feet away from the bowling alley exit.

Her mother, Theresa English said she looked away for a moment and Teekah was gone. She hasn't been seen since."

I now know friends of the family. The family members were right there. They saw her, then she was gone. Minutes. In a familiar place. With tons of family members all around. (family party, hence the late night for the bitty child...my own son is a night owl and always has been, as we are, so while I understand that early-to-bed people might question that, I don't)

Furthermore if you tried to take her by force she knows that manners are not the most important thing and if she was to feel really uncomfortable in a situation to scream at the tops of her lungs.

My son once SCREAMED "You are not my papa!!!!!!" in a public place in the middle of a tantrum when his dad picked him up to leave. DH and DS don't look alike to those who don't know them. No one stopped them. Know why? Because many MANY children will do exactly that at some point with their own parent. It's almost a rite of passage, and it's one no one knows how kids know to do it. We didn't talk about "stranger danger" with DS; kids are at far more risk from those in their inner circle, and he was never alone anyway. Our slow steps to independence have been taken at the YMCA and Disney, both of which have great methods for kid-finding. And at older ages than 6. Anyway, because we never taught him anything specific to yell if being taken (especially at that age), we have no idea how he came up wth that whammy, but plenty of other kids we know (but DS doesn't) have done exactly the same thing with their parents, so it's kinda weird.

Sometimes I think that parents need therapy from some of the things their kids do LOL...DH still has some form of PTSD from that moment, LOL, as well as the moment a lady in our former apartment complex called the police on him because "there's a man at the playground who doesn't match any of the kids", and he was the man. Poor DH.

Last edited:
It's been said already, but literally it was exactly the same parents in the OP's experiences.

Perhaps that's the case in those examples. But my point is that this thread was addressed to "parents" in general. And in general, I don't believe that's the case.

Totally forgot what I was going to write and had to go back and find it. Editing this in. ;)

Your situation...you left your child, and felt mama bear that someone was talking to her when you got back. Your takeaway was that things you did when you were single were wrong.

I would take away that leaving my child like that was wrong. This is so close to the OP's situation it's hardly funny. The kids are being left in a situation where strangers might talk to them, and this is a big bad NO for the parents, but the parents are LEAVING them! It makes absolutely NO sense to a parent who sees it the other way, or to anyone who sees it that other way.

If I were the parent in the OP's situations, or in your situation with the daycare provider, to me, it would be a ME fail, not a universe/other person shouldn't talk to a kid, fail. That's MY fault. I'm the parent that left the child, when I'm so afraid of the world that I can't handle it if a person talks to my child. I'm the one who will be changing my behavior. That's MY takeaway.

No that was not my "takeaway". I was giving an example of how sometimes childless people don't understand - having not been there. I myself wouldn't have done anything like that when I was single. So that's a comprehension fail on your part.

And.. probably my fault for using the term "Mama bear". I didn't rip out the daycare workers throat and roar at all the bystanders. I am the opposite of "afraid of the world" and I can totally "handle it" if a daycare worker that I know talks to my child. However, it is inappropriate, in my part of the world, for total strangers to sit in the booth and talk to kids they don't know. That may be regional. If you live in Mayberry and don't mind all the town weirdos chatting up your kid - more power to you. It doesn't mean the rest of us are failures. And it doesn't mean that we need to have our children chained to our waist 24/7. It just means we expect everyone else to conform to the norms of our society and we think it's creepy when they don't.

I have to ask...What does the "make up your minds" title have to do with the subject? Sorry, I've been wondering this since I read it.
I was wondering that myself. I thought it was going to be about the parents telling the kid he couldn't have the toy but then giving in because he threw a fit.

Perhaps that's the case in those examples. But my point is that this thread was addressed to "parents" in general. And in general, I don't believe that's the case.

Good grief, it was addressed to parents because that's what they were. She wasn't accusing you.

Good grief, it was addressed to parents because that's what they were. She wasn't accusing you.

I read it differently. If she was addressing those specific parents she probably would have said "these parents". I read it as a shout out to all parents. Not to worry, I didn't think she was talking specifically to me.

And I only answered because someone felt the need to dredge up quotes from way back earlier in the thread.

As an aside. I walked to school alone at age 5, close to 1 mile. By age 6 we took the bus to amusement parks. Children are so babied anymore. This child was around 6 according to the op. It would have been normal for us to be left alone in the mall at that age.

As an aside. I walked to school alone at age 5, close to 1 mile. By age 6 we took the bus to amusement parks. Children are so babied anymore. This child was around 6 according to the op. It would have been normal for us to be left alone in the mall at that age.

But we used to lock up our mentally ill, violent people back then - now we leave them on the streets, and they go to malls looking for their basic needs. Of course neither way is/was right. I walked to school when I was 5, but my mom now tells me that she hid behind trees and followed me :)

But we used to lock up our mentally ill, violent people back then - now we leave them on the streets, and they go to malls looking for their basic needs. Of course neither way is/was right. I walked to school when I was 5, but my mom now tells me that she hid behind trees and followed me :)
The chance of a 6 yr old being abducted is very, very slim. I guess some of my point is by age 5 or 6 we would not have allowed ourselves to be abducted.

I really hate this kind of prejudice. The VAST majority of people who commit crimes in the US are not people who would have ever been "locked up" as mentally ill beforehand. While some may argue that anyone who abducts a child or murders, etc is mentally ill, they are rarely so in the classic, unable to function in society sense.

The fact is mentally ill are more likely to be victims of crime than the general population and less likely to commit violent crimes than the general population. Statements like yours, falsely attributing violent crime levels to those with mental illnesses only serve to stereotype and harm a population which is already at risk for being victimized and discriminated against. (and individual abduction, etc are lower now than they were back when we "locked up" mentally ill instead of treating them with dignity as humans, by the way)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter