Parasailing

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by STLDisney_Freak, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Zeppelin

Zeppelin DIS Veteran

completely safe...my 9YO DD and i did it last August...the guy was telling us how at places such at the Atlantis and other places in the bahamas many of the parasailing companies that run the trips don't always use the safest equipment or strongest ropes...he said there are always stories of ropes snapping and people being blown away by the wind...

he said if that ever happened at CC, Disney would fire them in a second, which is why they always keep their equipment up to snuff...i don't like heights but had a ball...

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rroberts

rroberts The family that vacations together, stays together

Is there a weight limit? I'm 6'8" and about 290 (all muscle of course). :)

4. Zeppelin

Zeppelin DIS Veteran

i think the combined wt limit was around 450lbs...

5. SleepyDeb

SleepyDeb Mouseketeer

DH and I did parasailing in January and it was THE highlight of the trip. We had never done it before. Very calm and quiet. We were both nervous before. DH is afraid of heights and I'm uncomfortable with stuff I've never done before. But it was just terrific.

6. mgpan

mgpan Mouseketeer

Would love to surprise my wife with this at CC, she's always wanted to try it. However, when i ask her, she doesn't want to spend more than an hour out on the water away from our son, when she could be playing with him. Since only riders and no spectators (son is too young) can go on the boat, how long are you separated from those on the beach? I'd heard it was several people riding, you left the dock all on the boat, and didn't return until everyone had flown?:confused3

7. tink too

tink too DIS Veteran

There will be others with you in the speedboat - I think our last trip we had 8 to 10 people.

Both times we've been, we were out on the water for about an hour and a half. ;)

8. dceks cruisers

dceks cruisers Mouseketeer

We parasailed on 2/8/13 Eastern cruise as well in the afternoon and it was overcast. I'm sorry your experience was not the best it could be! By the time DD (12) and I went up it was misting/light rain. Despite the conditions we had a great time but clear sunny weather would have been the ideal. We were dipped 3x and had a wonderful, long ride. This was our second time to parasail at CC and it was pretty windy.

Just curious, did you parasail in the morning? We were snorkeling during the AM rain and when it rained there was a downspout. Not sure where that was in proximity to the parasailing. It would be scary to see a downspout nearby while parasailing!

9. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

I am going to check the website because I want to do this also. Did you feel you had enough time to spend at cc? or should I say - did it take too much time away from your day at cc?

10. disnygirl55

disnygirl55 Meeska Mooseka Mouseketeer

We actually had a bit of a scary experience in 2011 during a parasailing excursion at Castaway Cay. My DH and DS (aged 9) were up in the air, and the boat we were on (below) hit a large piece of rope, which killed the motor. Apparently, Castaway Cay sits near a shipping lane, and sometimes "garbage" from the cargo ships passing is just left to drift along....So their parasail dropped them down lightly into the ocean. It was very slow and gentle, and they didn't even know what was going on at first, because the boat operators like to bring people down to splash their feet and legs before lifting them back in the air again. However, they started to "reel" them in right away in the water, and my husband was struggling to get my son un-latched from the equipment, since he was in front and the water was in his face. Once he got him unlatched, he turned him around into his chest, and all was fine as they were reeled the rest of the way in. So pay attention to that safety briefing - it was very important to know how to unlatch yourself and your child, if this ever happens. Other than that one experience, we've parasailed several times, and it's WONDERFUL. We will definitely go again some day soon. The tour company transferred everyone to a new boat, when they couldn't immediately resolve the issue with the motor and DS and DH got to go up again, which was fabulous - two trips for the price of one, with a little excitement thrown in to boot! And DS had a great story about his emergency at sea and his calm response and bravery to tell his classmates and Cub Scout Troop. :)