Parade and Fireworks with a Child with SPD

KerrieB

Earning My Ears
I was hoping to get some ideas from the group. We will be in Disney World next week, and we are considering trying to do the parade and fireworks at Magic Kingdom while we're there. We have never taken the kids before becuase of the late times, but right now the parade starts at 7 pm with fireworks at 8 pm. We looking for a good spot to watch both from or if we should even attempt it. My son is 4, and has cerebral palsy and is also sensory seeking. The sensory tends to be our biggest challenge on vacation. He seeks auditory and propreception but avoids some textures. He also is not okay with univited people in his space. He definately needs to feel in control of his environment. I think that he would love the parade, but sitting for a long time packed in with strangers would definately be tough. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Kerrie

Fortunately it's a rather quiet time as far as crowds, but people will still pack in to see the parades. Will a stroller help your son as a buffer zone? Maybe him in the stroller with you and DH on either side of it to prevent others from bumping too close? And to get front row viewing will require you to stake out your spot in advance. We did watch the evening parade one year from Town Square, there was an h/c viewing area almost directly across from the Firehouse (where it started). It wasn't my favorite viewing area, but it wasn't too crowded if I recall. However, if using the h/c reserved viewing areas they may not allow you to stand on either side of his stroller so as to get as many w/c in as possible - we had to sit in front and stand behind.

It's easier to spread out from people a bit for the fireworks as you just have to look up as opposed to parade viewing where everyone wants front row. However, we've discovered over the years that our favorite spot to watch Wishes is from the beach at the Poly - but you might not have time to get there after the parade if trying to do both on the same night.

Enjoy your vacation!

We have 2 kids with sensory issues one is 19 and Autistic. When we are in the MK we try to get a spot up in the train station to watch the parade and then the fireworks. Its not as squishy up there and you have a great view of both things. My youngest will sometimes wear ear plugs she is 10.My oldest dosent do well with them so he coveres his ears with his hands. I have heard of people using headphones also to lesson the noise. I do think getting him a stroller would help. Emma liked the stroller when she was younger and wouyld toss a towel over the top of it so that "People couldnt see her " I think it was her way of controling the situation too.I think if you know what to exspect it will help you to help him. people might bump into him not even meaning to and he needs to know they dont mean it its just squishy.Once DD10 got in a squishy situation with a bigger women and later I asked how she was and she said I was ok Mom I was just glad she didnt fart !:lmao: Ahh that kid cracks me up !
Have a great trip and make forever memories ;)

I also wanted to mention if you are up in the train station they sell popcorn right below and its a short walk to get ice cream which we like to do while we wait. If you get a spot early one of you could go down to mainstreet with the kids and they have cast members out with bubbles, hoolahoops, dancing to music etc while the other holds the seat. Bring a jacket and check the weather a cold front is moving through this weekend and we are suppose to get 40s. I am 2 hrs south of Disney . If you need more help feel free to message me .
~Tonya ~

However, we've discovered over the years that our favorite spot to watch Wishes is from the beach at the Poly - but you might not have time to get there after the parade if trying to do both on the same night.

I'll be doing this on our 1st night in town! We always spend the 1st day at DTD instead of a park, but I miss seeing the fireworks every night. With this idea, we can do both DTD & fireworks!

When we are in the MK we try to get a spot up in the train station to watch the parade and then the fireworks.

I LOVE this & will be "stealing" it from now on! Hopefully, you won't be sorry posting this great tip... Your spot may be crowded now :crowded:

I'll be doing this on our 1st night in town! We always spend the 1st day at DTD instead of a park, but I miss seeing the fireworks every night. With this idea, we can do both DTD & fireworks!

I LOVE this & will be "stealing" it from now on! Hopefully, you won't be sorry posting this great tip... Your spot may be crowded now :crowded:

That spot is already busy... You have to get there early to use that one.

If you are willing to/or need to forgo the parade, a great place to watch the fireworks is the Poly. If you go all the way down to Tahiti you may have beach all to yourself but no music the music is only piped into main beach. Our favorite moment on our first trip was the kids playing in the sand and watching the fireworks alone :). You can also catch the electric water parade from the main beach before the main show.

If you don't want to stay at train station and think you might be able to tolerate the crowds you might want to try the very end on main street on the right (across the street from hot dog shop) If the crowd got to be too much you could go down to the landing by the water and sit at the tables there that overlook the Castle. It should be a roomier place to see the fireworks. It's too low to get good view of parade though.

I have a sensory avoider and the only way we can watch the fireworks is from the Poly beach and even there we have to use noise abating headphones. I miss the parades but it's worth it to have a successful trip.:)

One thing to know about the Poly is that the boats need to use their horns when docking...the closer to the ttc (like at tahiti) or the main boat dock the more you will need to be prepared for occasional horns. If your children like to play games maybe you could get them to try to TOOT with the boat so they feel a bit more control of when it will make noise.

I too have 3 "sensory avoiders". That's why I'm happy to soak up any advice for great fireworks viewing. We just watched Undiscovered Disney today & my youngest said "I LOVE parades" when they showed the electric nighttime parade. However, he's unable to actually watch any of the parades when we are AT Disney, so sadly, missing the parade wouldn't be an issue for our family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!