Paper Parking Passes Going Bye Bye??

DemoBri1

Surfin' at the Beach Club Villas
I just saw an article online that states WDW is doing away with the paper parking passes for resort guests and will now require guests to get their magic bands scanned in order to access the parking lots at resorts and theme parks. Anyone see this as causing a major backup coming into the parks on busy days? What happens if your MB doesn't scan correctly? Will you have to sit there backing up the line while the CM tries to figure this out?

I agree that overall the effect long term will be small, and eventually none (when everyone is used to it).
But the glitch factor, as the system adjusts, will probably cause some agitation at parks.

Resorts will vary. Even now during F&W, the YC entrance (for example) is a disaster with folks trying to get close to Epcot. That will probably still be true.

well, it will probably cause many issues and backups...but those paper passes...I mean, c'mon....:rolleyes1 anyone with a home printer and the will to 'create' their own pass ...well, it's just too easy. I have always thought about that, the 'cheaters' can just diy a pass and park wherever.....(for the record, I have always stayed onsite and never done this)

You were already scanning your KTTW to get into your resort so this wouldn't be different, I actually found it faster to tap my MB than to insert the card and pull it back out - sometimes more than once.

Regarding the parks, will likely make it more inconvenient by taking an extra few seconds to scan them for each car x all in line. But from Disney's perspective (1) the paper passes were too easily manufactured, altered or copied which costs them money at parks (2) Disney guests do have the option of Disney transportation, putting more resort guests on the buses means more cars they can get into the parks now that the attendance is obvious increasing. We have left the MK to see cars parked all over the grass. (3) Tracking mechanism in many ways but one is to know numbers of how many guests (your MB will let them know how many people are in your room) are driving to parks rather than taking transportation from specific resorts.

Last month I opted for direct to room check-in. I did not get a parking pass. Half the cars around mine did not have one. I think once they announced the direct to room that it was obvious the paper passes were going away. They really are of no value to resorts with parking lot gates. I've noticed them going away at lots of resorts, not just Disney.

Last edited:
I am going to assume (and you know what happens when you do that) there will be a guard at the gates even with the MagicBand thing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter