Panasonic Lumix TZ30

razza1987

Mouseketeer
I am seriously considering on buying one of these for my first ever Disney holiday in late Feb next year.

Has anyone used one of these cameras before at Disney and can share their experiences using it? I'm particularly curious about how it handles in low light or fireworks action.

If not this camera could you suggest another camera in this price range.

I have a camera atm but it is to put it bluntly... crap lol. I would much sooner get a new camera for when we go and let my younger use my current camera so he is not without on on the trip.

Thanks in advance :)

Do not know much about this model but I have the tz5 that I bought 3 years ago. I love it. Just bought a replacement battery for it so hoping it goes a good while longer.

It sounds like a very nice travel zoom camera. (I ranked it #2 for my needs behind the Sony, but I can see why others would rank it higher, it has the best burst modes). I have not seen much talk about it here. You would see more talk on the Panasonic forum at dpreview, but as you already discovered, not as much Disney talk ;)
And if you are looking for great photos and video, it's an incredible bang for the buck.

Fireworks are easy. You just need a tripod/gorilla pod/or find a trash can or something to set the camera on. Then you use fireworks mode, or manually set 2-6 second exposures. (And hope for a bit of timing luck)

Dark rides are more difficult. Normally you are using high ISo and a wide aperature but travel zooms are not ideal for those (the f/1.4 LX7 is better). I have not read anything to suggest the Canon or Sony would be better.

I have the TZ20. I bought it the month before we went to DW in Aug. I wish I had a it a couple of months before to really work it but I think I did pretty good with it.

I love the zoom

I took over 1000 pictures on the trip but have not downloaded them yet (going back to school and to a new way of teaching(new to block schedule) has really gotten in the way0. Here is one picture I have downloaded to show someone.

P1000815.jpg

When I get a few more up I will post them so you can see them.

donac said:
I have the TZ20. I bought it the month before we went to DW in Aug. I wish I had a it a couple of months before to really work it but I think I did pretty good with it.

I love the zoom

I took over 1000 pictures on the trip but have not downloaded them yet (going back to school and to a new way of teaching(new to block schedule) has really gotten in the way0. Here is one picture I have downloaded to show someone.

IMAGE#1

When I get a few more up I will post them so you can see them.

woah I love that picture! and I would love to see more of your pictures :-)

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

hakepb said:
It sounds like a very nice travel zoom camera. (I ranked it #2 for my needs behind the Sony, but I can see why others would rank it higher, it has the best burst modes). I have not seen much talk about it here. You would see more talk on the Panasonic forum at dpreview, but as you already discovered, not as much Disney talk
And if you are looking for great photos and video, it's an incredible bang for the buck.

Fireworks are easy. You just need a tripod/gorilla pod/or find a trash can or something to set the camera on. Then you use fireworks mode, or manually set 2-6 second exposures. (And hope for a bit of timing luck)

Dark rides are more difficult. Normally you are using high ISo and a wide aperature but travel zooms are not ideal for those (the f/1.4 LX7 is better). I have not read anything to suggest the Canon or Sony would be better.

I was looking at either this camera or a Sony Cyber WX150. have been doing SO much research

I was looking at either this camera or a Sony Cyber WX150. have been doing SO much research

I think the only advantage of the WX150 would be a physically smaller camera. Personally I think it's a disadvantage as it is harder for me to hold steady, but of that is the only size that fits in a pocket or bag, then it's better than nothing.
Feature wise, the HX20 compete with that Panasonic.

hakepb said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by razza1987

I think the only advantage of the WX150 would be a physically smaller camera. Personally I think it's a disadvantage as it is harder for me to hold steady, but of that is the only size that fits in a pocket or bag, then it's better than nothing.
Feature wise, the HX20 compete with that Panasonic.

that's another camera I had also been looking at. that was the first Sony camera I looked at after finding the Panasonic

I still am unsure. There are so many cameras out there

It's time consuming figuring what features/size/performance will get you the best pictures, but its a worthwhile exercise.

What does your current camera do well? what would you most like improved? How important is a bunch of zoom? Occasional or frequent low light? Video modes? Manual control?
Have you held cameras in stores? Which one(s) feel best to you?

Just to add to the confusion...actually the photographically best quality, fairly compact camera under $300 now is the Olympus PEN E-PL1 or for a little more the E-PL2 has a more modern feature set. It's m3/4 sensor is about 6 times larger than the TZ30 and its still about 5 time larger than a LX7 or s95! But the kit lens is only 3x (covers 80+% of great Disney pictures) but I can understand how that may be too limiting to some people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter