Panama Canal Q - EB or WB?

TrySomethingNew

TrySomethingNew
My family is interested in the Panama Canal cruise -2017 or 2018 if 2017 doesn't work out. Either date could work, but wondering if there is a reason to do one over the other. Also, what is the status of the PC canal construction, and would this potentially impact 2017 or 2018 travel?
Thanks in Advance!

My family is interested in the Panama Canal cruise -2017 or 2018 if 2017 doesn't work out. Either date could work, but wondering if there is a reason to do one over the other. Also, what is the status of the PC canal construction, and would this potentially impact 2017 or 2018 travel?
Thanks in Advance!
My preference would be west over east. Biggest reason - going west you gain 3-4 hours (over a short period). Going east you lose those hours. And, yes, 4 hours (even one at a time) can mess up sleep schedules.

Beyond that - they're pretty much equal.

The current speculated completion of the Panama Canal, I believe, is sometime this summer. But that should be followed by some time (not sure how long) of testing. It really should impact current DCL travel, as the Wonder can fit in the old locks (until such time as they add the duck tail to her).

We did the WB transit a few years ago and I think that's the best way to do it because of the time change.

On the other hand... I'm hoping to do the EBPC in a few years for a milestone (November) birthday. I live in the Midwest and look forward to a quick 2-1/2 hour direct flight home from Miami, rather than taking a redeye from San Diego.

On the other hand... I'm hoping to do the WBPC in a few years for a milestone (November) birthday. I live in the Midwest and look forward to a quick 2-1/2 hour direct flight home from Miami, rather than taking a redeye from San Diego.
Um.... the westbound would end in San Diego. Eastbound would end in Miami (or Galveston).

On the other hand... I'm hoping to do the EBPC in a few years for a milestone (November) birthday. I live in the Midwest and look forward to a quick 2-1/2 hour direct flight home from Miami, rather than taking a redeye from San Diego.

Yes us too. We sailed out of San Pedro (Los Angeles) and ended in Galveston. Spent a couple days in LA area and almost last minute magic when D23 was invited to do Disney Studio Tours, we signed up immediately, got a perfect time. They had limited number and a member could only get 2, had a total of 8 on our tour. DW boarded ship and DD and I did the tour and risked the traffic getting to port. We returned the car at John Wayne Airport and taxied to port, about 30 minutes to spare. It was great doing DL and area attractions prior to the cruise and not after where we would have to figure out a last day of activity and departing in the middle of the night.

We did the westbound and will do that one again in the future. The time change is so much nicer going west than east (you get to feel like you are sleeping in), and we didn't have crazy weather like they did on the eastbound right before ours (and almost had on the one after). It was perfect!

We did the EBPC in 2013 and the time change really didn't bother us that much. We live in Orlando, and we got to take our first trip to Disneyland when we did that cruise, and have been back every year since. That cruise returned to Galveston, so from LA to there was only a 2 hour difference. We have family in Houston we needed to see to that itinerary worked out perfectly for us. This year we booked the EBTA in May since the EBPC was most definitely our favorite cruise we have ever taken. No matter what you choose you will have a fantastic voyage!

We are looking to do the westbound in 2017, but partially because we live in southern California and the idea of ending our vacation with an hour drive instead of a flight and a drive sounds amazing!

Having only done Westbound, I can only comment on that one but, for me, the fact that you gain time going that way is the winner.

We are looking to do the westbound in 2017, but partially because we live in southern California and the idea of ending our vacation with an hour drive instead of a flight and a drive sounds amazing!
My sister lives just south of LA, so I could combine a trip on either end to visit with her, which could work out nicely.

Less than 20 minutes before these pictures were taken, I was up on deck 10 sitting in the sun worrying about getting sunburned....:sunny:

did you say rain!! this is from our May - Westbound PC cruise from a few years ago. I am standing OUTSIDE!! Just a few seconds earlier there were people at all of this tables.
P1000990.JPG

and then there's these poor guys shutting down the BBQ - well the rain took care of that....

P1000995.JPG

We also had rain on the Magic's first EastBound PC Transit back in August 2005

Its common to have rain during part of the Canal transit. Basically its the consistent rain storms that keep the lake filled so that the ships can lock-through the canal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter