Panama Canal Eastbound Sept. 14, 2013--it'll be WONDER-ful

We finally have our stateroom assignments!!! For the FE list my parents (Gary and Judy) are now in cabin 2513. John and Heidi (along with kids Jack, Lauren, Jesse, Justin and Annabella) are in rooms 6545 and 6543. 10 more days!!

I'm so excited. I live in Long Beach and I drive by the cruise departure building M-F on my way to work. It's really getting my excitement revved up.

I've seen a few people say they're single women travelers as am I and it would be nice if we could get together occasionally for drinks or activities. Any interest in a meetup the 1st day or so on board? We could designate a location and time and get to know each other. I don't think I have enough posts yet, but I'll keep adding so you can DM me.

Renee
cabin 6041

I will be traveling without my husband ( but with my 2 kids and 80 year old mother). Does that count as single?

I am planning on signing up for the chocolate tasting, champagne tasting, and maybe a couple more, and I don't think my mom will join me. Would love to get a group of solo travelers together to do this with. :goodvibes

I would love to join in to meet with other single travelers!

Teri
cabin 2526

I'm so excited. I live in Long Beach and I drive by the cruise departure building M-F on my way to work. It's really getting my excitement revved up.

I've seen a few people say they're single women travelers as am I and it would be nice if we could get together occasionally for drinks or activities. Any interest in a meetup the 1st day or so on board? We could designate a location and time and get to know each other. I don't think I have enough posts yet, but I'll keep adding so you can DM me.

Renee
cabin 6041

Well, the mailman was, by far, my favorite person today! He brought our kids' passports! We are all set and ready to go! Well, not really.... Since we didn't know for sure that we were going until those passports arrived, I haven't done a thing to get the four of us packed or to make our transfer arrangements. I guess I better get a'workin! We leave a week from tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the best news!!!! So glad they came in time!

I am so excited for you Jenn!!! :cool1:

We leave in 1 week!!!!:dance3::cheer2:

We have a navigator verandah for this trip, but it is the plexiglass one. We have never had one either. We picked it so we could still have a verandah, but not pay as much.

So excited! Can't wait. I keep daydreaming about being on the ship!

I am not sure if we are doing any of the tastings. We have done them in the past.

It is so exciting for all of you that are leaving very soon!! It just makes our cruise seem that much closer! Since we live near the port, we still have a week and a half before we can say we leave.
We might have to head down to DL for a day! :)

From another post :

We just returned this morning {September 2} from a week in Alaska on the Wonder. Early in the cruise (2nd or 3rd night onboard) around 10:30pm or so (what can I say, I was on vacation and wasn't paying close attention to times), we felt a sudden, strong vibration, and shortly after, our cabin started smelling very strongly of diesel fuel and smoke.

Just as I got out of bed and threw on some clothes to go let someone know, there were two frantic calls over the ship's broadcast system for "Red Parties, Red Parties", complete with alarm sounds in the background of the message, spaced about 5 minutes apart.

I went out into the hallway just after these announcements and there were many fellow passengers already in the hallway trying to figure out what was going on. We were near the aft elevators on deck two, and the hallway was just as smelly as our room, but in the hall you could see things were a bit murky from the smoke as well. Not bad, but it was hazy and you could definitely tell something was going on. It was scary for a while there, as I've read many times that fire on a ship is the worst thing that can happen.

Within 15 minutes or so the captain came on and made an announcement (just as the folks in the hallway were starting to panic a bit) and said that we had lost a generator. It had overheated and caused a lot of smoke, but that we were safe. He continued to state they were looking into why it happened, and talked about the generators on the ship, etc. He ended by saying that we were still full power ahead and that we would still be on time to everything and not to worry.

Bye the Way, my favorite Captain but he must be done at the end of this coming week because I saw on an earlier post here that someone had another name for the Panama leg.

And here was another poster :

We were on this cruise on the Wonder. It was nothing serious. The crew responded quickly. Captain Thord informed us that one of the diesel generators malfunctioned, but that the Wonder was perfectly capable of functioning with 4 of its 5 diesel generators. The rest of the cruise proceeded with no problems, and I'd guess that the generator is fixed by now.

We got our also. Kim and Craig(Adam) room 1054 Janice and Vernon room 1056
It's not a typo, I didn't know till my last cruise that rooms are on the 1st floor.
We are excited and can't wait....a few more days.

I'm looking at the postcard exchange list and see 15 cabins. I thought I had read that there were more. :confused3 What's the actual count?
Thanks!

My suitcase has been on the bed for a week. Actually kicked it in my sleep and broke a whole toenail off, all the way down to the cuticle. :crutches:

This evening I bought these bags that zip lock once clothes are packed in them, and then you roll them to get the air out, compressing the clothes, so more will fit. I saved the receipt. Anyone use these, and have any comments?

Guess everyone is too busy packing to post. :)

My suitcase has been on the bed for a week. Actually kicked it in my sleep and broke a whole toenail off, all the way down to the cuticle. :crutches:

This evening I bought these bags that zip lock once clothes are packed in them, and then you roll them to get the air out, compressing the clothes, so more will fit. I saved the receipt. Anyone use these, and have any comments?

Ouch, ouch, ouch...hope you are not in too much pain.

I use the vacuum bags every time I cruise. You have to be careful if you are putting things like tshirts. It can leave them fairly wrinkled, but I've used these for that if needed. I usually pack undies, pj's, socks, items I'm not too concerned if they come out wrinkled. Great for compressing a jacket, sweatshirt...things that have a lot of bulk.

Hope your toe is better. It just makes me cringe reading about it!

Has anyone heard any rumors about who our "Guest Performer" might be? I know that in the past, Panama Canal crossings have had a Disney celebrity guest onboard to perform, like Susan Egan, (the original Belle on Broadway), or Jodi Benson, (the voice of Ariel). Anyone heard anything?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter