Palo...to go or not?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by UGAFan0829, Mar 25, 2005.

1. UGAFan0829

UGAFan0829 DIS Veteran

I'm still trying to decide on whether or not I really want to try Palo. I know I have a while to decide, but I need to find something nice to wear if I do decide to go. I just get the impression that it's sort of a "stuffy, uppity" kind of place. What's everyone's opinion?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

Stuffy and uppity??? No, not at all. Palo is a very nice, warm and gracious place....it's true your hubby would neet a jacket, but you could wear a nice pair of slacks and blouse or a dress.

I have always love my meals at Palo, but I do not go there on every cruise...sometimes we just like being with our regular severs...but do not think that Palo is stuffy because it is not.

It looks like you are on a 3 day, so if I were you, since you don't seem thrilled about going, skip it this time and if you enjoy your cruise and want to rebook a longer cruise...try Palo then. You will want to experience all three of the dining room in your rotation on the 3 day.

4. DrCavin

DrCavin DIS Veteran

Definitly go, not stuff or uppity at all.. The brunch is not as formal as dinner. If you can only do one, do the brunch.. Try to get both because it is very good..

5. depomas

depomas Mouseketeer

:goodvibes We finally tried it on our 3rd cruise. I also had the impression of stuffiness..I could not have been more wrong....

My hubby still wonders what took us so long. I enjoy the dining rooms so much, that I never wanted to skip one.. I fall in love with the dining experience and our dining room servers.... The next cruise we will eat at Palo most definitely.....Food was excellent!!! :earseek:

The other thought, if you do not want to skip the dining rooms, is double dipping.. Eat only an appetizer in the dining room, and have your Palo reservation for later in the evening..... We may try this the next time..

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself... :goodvibes

6. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

I couldn't second this more strongly. Palo is quietly elegant, but not stuffy or uppity. We've had wonderful times there, the food, service and atmosphere is awesome! But it is tough to fit it all in a three day cruise.

7. AladdinsPrincess

AladdinsPrincess DIS Veteran

Definitely go! It was absolutely the best food I've ever had in my life and the service was also exceptional. It was not the least bit stuffy or uppity but rather very relaxing... I felt almost pampered while I was there. It was fabulous - don't miss it!

8. logan1_2000

logan1_2000 <font color=indigo>DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>

Wasn't the dress code recently revised downward so that Palo's written requirement for men to wear a jacket was replaced with only a collared hsirt, no polo shirt requirement? Or am I mixing up different dress codes?

I would still wear the jacket,it just makes the evening more special, lets DW know that I think she is special enough to make a ressie and dressup to make an already special night (it is a Disney Cruise, after all) even more special.

9. allears

I think, and I'm trying to remember this off the top of my head, but that the written Palo guideline got a little stricter, to where guys are supposed to wear a jacket and a collared shirt, no Ts and the tie was optional. Of course they don't always enforce this at dinner. I always wear a jacket and tie, like you said, it makes it more special and it's the way I'd dress if it were a land based restaurant which had the same dress code.

10. depomas

depomas Mouseketeer

I am against my better judgement admitting :blush: my Dh wore a dress shirt and tie and no jacket in Palo's.. My FIL did the same, and they did not look down on them, and after looking around, there were many other men the same way. Actually, some looked much worse.. My men looked snazzy... :love:

11. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

Maybe next time we'll do Palo. We so enjoyed the dining room and wait staff there, we just didn't want to miss that.

12. WDWLVR

WDWLVR <font color=green>DVC @ The Boardwalk</font><br><f

We didn't do Palo until our 5th cruise. While we loved it and did it again on our 6th I don't regret not going earlier. I don't think we'll got on our upcoming 4 day, but most likely will do at least brunch again on our next 7 day next year.

13. UGAFan0829

UGAFan0829 DIS Veteran

Actually, we're doing the 4-night this time. I'm quite excited about it. It's not that I don't want to dress up...that's not the subject at all...it's just that I wasn't real sure about the atmosphere. I love to dress up (it would be an excuse to find a nice dress), and the DH has no problem with it either! So we may go ahead and try it. It sounds like everyone who's tried Palo has loved it!

14. allears

I think it's safe to say the vast majority of us on the boards have loved our Palo experience. It is quiet, a little calmer and less hectic than the main dining rooms and just very very nice. If you can fit it in, by all means make it so!

15. UGAFan0829

UGAFan0829 DIS Veteran

Thanks for the advice. From the way it sounds I would be missing out by not going, and it's an opportunity to dress up. I just can't decide if I should do the REAS or if I should just wait and do Palo alone!

16. Pea-n-Me

Pea-n-Me DIS Veteran

I second giving the Brunch a try. You can dress "resort casual" but an added bonus is the beautiful daytime ocean views out the windows and some really nice photo ops. One of the nicest pictures I have of DH and myself came from Palo brunch, the background was so beautiful and we actually looked pretty snappy too (if I do say so myself)! :sunny:

17. UGAFan0829

UGAFan0829 DIS Veteran

Do they offer brunch on the 4-day?

18. Pea-n-Me

Pea-n-Me DIS Veteran

DrCavin, I just want to say I love your picture. We're torn about whether DH and DS should do tuxes on our upcoming Magic cruise. Seeing your picture makes me think we should go for it. Thoughts? Was it worth it?

19. Pea-n-Me

Pea-n-Me DIS Veteran

They did when we were on the Wonder this past August. We've also done the Palo dinner which of course was wonderful. I guess we'll just have to do both next year! :teeth:

20. DrCavin

DrCavin DIS Veteran

Thank You, it is definitly worth renting a tux. Some have posted having success on buying one on Ebay. Ours came with 2 shirts, so when wife & I went to Palo's for dinner I wore it again.

21. alexandrew

alexandrew <font color=purple>Keep posting, you'll catch up!<

Palo is without question one of the top 3 experiences onboard DCL....The food, service, and atmosphere is top notch without being stuffy......