Palo or Remy

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Kandjandj, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kandjandj

Kandjandj Earning My Ears

If you could only do one which one?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cruisecrasher

cruisecrasher DIS Veteran

Palo brunch! But I've never done Remy.

4. Namsupak

Namsupak DIS Veteran

Vote for Remy, If you like Victoria and Albert's Remy's is the place for you.

5. darkwing818

darkwing818 DIS Veteran

While we really like Palo (Diner & Brunch); you just can't beat the Remy experience. :thumbsup2 To be honest we usually do both. :banana::banana:

6. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

Palo brunch is nice, but we prefer brunch on Celebrity, which is even better, without an upcharge.

Remy is a foodie adventure. It's pricey, especially when you've already paid for your meals in the MDR's, but I think of it as a shore excursion. Disney shore excursions are expen$ive (what cruise shore excursion isn't pricey?) but some times ya just gotta party.

7. disneydeux

disneydeux Can Once in a Lifetime Happen Twice?

But Remy is a once of a kind dining opportunity. I mean crazy! I would eat only salads or some fruit before the meal because it is an insane amount of food.

We also loved Palo for dinner.

Best of luck - there is no bad decision!

8. MrsScooby

MrsScooby DIS Veteran

We've done and enjoyed both palo and Remy, but if we had to choose we would go with Remy. Expensive but worth it :cloud9:

9. Maria1985

Maria1985 Mouseketeer

We would go with Remy.

10. MarineFam

MarineFam Remember, It all Started with a Mouse...

We have done Pallo on the Magic for both of the cruises we have been on and loved it. We are getting ready to sail again only this time on the Fantasy April 2013. I saw it was quite a bit more pricey to go to Remy but wow looking at what people are saying it must be great. I just can't believe it could get any better than Pallo....:worship:

11. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

Remy brunch. Best restaurant meal I have ever eaten. Seriously! *Amazing* flavors, and the service was fabulous!

Sayhello

12. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Palo vs. Remy are two very different experiences.

Palo is a nice, upscale restaurant. Attentive service, good food, nice atmosphere. Dinner will take 90-120 minutes. 90 is very comfortable, 120 is if you like to linger over coffee or after dinner drinks. It is a lovely restaurant, comparable to one of the "signature" restaurants at WDW (the ones that cost 2 credits on the dining plan) but without the kids--thus a better atmosphere. It is a place that I could see doing at home for a special celebration.

Remy is a dining experience. This is more about the presentation and setting than the food...or at least as much. Plan on 3 hours. This is most similar to Victoria and Albert's at WDW, and compared to their prices, the $75 upcharge is a bargain. This is honestly more than I would do at home...OK reality, I don't know of any place like this around my home. If you like V&As, you'll be right at home here.

13. setablaze

setablaze Earning My Ears

Stupid point/question. I am a simple guy planning a cruise in the carribean. If it was up to me I would pack 2 pair of shorts and 3-5 tank tops BUT I love good food. So how do I do the minimum dress code to experience Remy and for a guy who despisees dressing up? Can I wear my tuxedo tshirt? :offtopic:

14. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Remy requires that gentlemen wear a jacket. Um...they do have loaners in the event that someone didn't pack one.

15. GetGlowing

GetGlowing DIS Veteran

I've done Remy brunch and dinner and Palo brunch and dinner and Remy wins hands down, no contest.

I think the champagne brunch at Remy is my favorite, but that might be due to the 5+ glasses of bubbly I had by the time we were done. :banana: Our brunch was at 11:50a and I was still so stuffed I only picked at dinner that evening (early seating) and finally had something substantial late late night. Plus, hello: deep fried mashed taters-n-gravy. What's not to love?? (OK, my name for the dish, not theirs. I'm sure theirs was French. But it's deep-fried mashed taters-n-gravy. And it's divine.)

Remy brunch is a fixed menu with optional champagne pairings for an additional $25 (bargain!). Remy brunch also has a more relaxed dress code, although it's still quite dressy. Guys, you don't need a coat or a tie for brunch.

Remy dinner has a menu from which you have a couple choices for each course, although you can opt for the menus already set by each chef. There are wine pairings also available for dinner. And it's formal. And so worth dragging that jacket along!!

Both meals at Remy are spectacular. I'm not an adventurous eater, but dug in and enjoyed everything. The only thing not to my liking were 1-2 of the cheeses I chose off the cart during dinner. Everything else was just sublime. Best two meals I've ever had.

Now I know a lot of people rave over Palo brunch, but I'm not a big seafood eater, and I don't go for a lot of Mediterranean flavors like olive this and that. So if you like crab legs and salmon mousse and olive this and thats, you'll probably really like Palo brunch a lot. The dessert table and bread table was amazing!! I could eat the little cream puff hamburger things all day.

If you want a nice dinner or brunch, do Palo. If you want a dining *experience*, go for Remy.

16. FJS961

FJS961 DIS Veteran

If I could only pick one I guess I would have to say Remy dinner. I wouldn't pick one though :goodvibes

On our Fantasy eastern we did Remy lunch and dinner, Palo brunch at a table for 10 with my folks and travel mates, and Palo dinner delivered to our suite and had a party ... best cruise ever.:thumbsup2

Cost wise, NOT including any alcohol (exceptions are complimentary champagne / mimosa Palo brunch, welcome cocktail at Remy dinner, one glass champagne at Remy lunch) looking at 75pp Remy dinner, 20pp Palo brunch/dinner, 50pp Remy lunch.

The experience has already been described by other posters

17. Gatrcruzer

Gatrcruzer Mouseketeer

We did Remy brunch and it was more casual than Remy dinner - no need for a jacket, although a nice shirt and pants are good. You could stick with the brunches and skip bringing a jacket? I think you don't need a jacket for Palo dinner, either. Dinners in the regular dining rooms tend to be more casual than other cruises I have been on, but you still need at least a pair of khakis and polos for that. Or you could go totally casual and just skip the dining rooms altogether :)

18. Nikki'sMommy

Nikki'sMommy Mouseketeer

We did both as well.. Remy was a great experience. We did the wine pairing, which we personally felt was not worth the price for the small pours and the service (or lack of) that we received from the sommelier . Food was awesome but it was a long dinner and pricey. Palo we thought the quality of the food was just a good- we brought a great bottle of wine with us and paid the corkage fee. Next cruise we will skip Remy and do Palo twice.
    Of course, this is a very subjective issue and only you will bed able to determine which is better. Enjoy!

19. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

Yes, it's very subjective. Palo dinner was nice, but not something we'd want to do every cruise. Until we're platinum and a freebie perk (unless DCL changes that.)

Palo brunch was nice but we've had better food at Celebrity cruise brunches, where there's no upcharge.

Remy is in a class by itself. Again, not something we'd want to do every cruise, but it's an amazing experience.

20. TLSnell1981

TLSnell1981 Tiny bubbles... make me happy... make me feel fine

If I have to choose only one, it's a no brainer, definitely Remy. Palo is very good..Remy is absolutely amazing!

21. KateMW

KateMW DIS Veteran

We're leaning towards doing Palo Brunch and Remy dinner. We are big food people and I used to be a chef, so would that be your suggestion? The brunch is on one of the days at sea right?